Northrop's Canard F-20 for Israel and others

BillRo

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
I have a series of photos of this model based on an F-5 fuselage. The first one dates from 1980 and has Israeli markings; a Lavi suggestion perhaps. The rest of the pix are from '81 and show variations of cockpit and a swept vertical. No drawings.

Attachments

• Canard Fighter 1.jpg
    Canard Fighter 1.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 1,264
  • Canard Fighter 2.jpg
    Canard Fighter 2.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,245
  • Canard Fighter 3 Swept Fin.jpg
    Canard Fighter 3 Swept Fin.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 1,224
  • Canard Fighter 4 Plan.jpg
    Canard Fighter 4 Plan.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 1,209
  • Canard Fighter 5 Bottom.jpg
    Canard Fighter 5 Bottom.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 1,175
  • Canard Fighter 6 Front.jpg
    Canard Fighter 6 Front.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 251
  • Canard Fighter 7 Composite.jpg
    Canard Fighter 7 Composite.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 323
Whoa! Very nice! My kind of model, too, with things to play with... Thank you Bill Ro.

Yep, got to be an early Lavi proposal from when it was Skyhawk-sized and F404 powered. Technically isn't it nearer to F-20 than F-5?

Interesting wing... Hope that the tailored-stiffness-composite team was behind that one!

Should be rather interesting to see if the book discusses Northrop's involvement at one point (IAI's proposal at that point was using a F404 and Northrop came back with a couple proposals using different portions of the F-5G/F-20). Some rather fascinating proposals.

Like this?

Attachments

• IMG_0006A.jpg
    IMG_0006A.jpg
    582 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 277
Here are options with different canopies and vertical tails from 1981. A typical Lee Begin model.

Attachments

• IMG_0005A.jpg
    IMG_0005A.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 284
:eek: Awesome, the post of the month! B)

BillRo, thanks for posting those pictures! :)

Put some Swedish roundels on that thing. . . ;) (I kid, I kid. ;D )

BillRo said:
Like this?
Yep, definitely like that. I've got a copy of the proposal that illustrates this as well as a more advanced version that utilizes less of the F-5G/F-20.

elmayerle said:
Yep, definitely like that. I've got a copy of the proposal that illustrates this as well as a more advanced version that utilizes less of the F-5G/F-20.
I'm assuming that you're referring to a Northrop proposal. So I'll ask the question: would you be able to share that with us? I'm guessing that it's likely that it's still covered by an NDA, but I figured I'd ask. It's always possible that Northrop/Grumman's historical office might have cleared all or part of it for release by now.

I had actually posted these (and more) before in Postwar Aircraft Projects. http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15678.msg153136.html#msg153136

Thanks for the link.

I recall reading that at one time IAI was in negotiations with both McDonnell Douglas and Grumman for developing the composit wing and tail, and that Grumman eventually won that contract. I was unaware that Northrop was also in negotiations at one time.

Thanks again for responding.

Perhaps Paul will want to move these but part of the Lavi/G package of photos included these of conformal stores carriage pods for Mk-82 slicks on the two wing stations and the centerline pylon. As I recall there was supposed to be some fuel in these as well, but with bomb racks I don't think it would have been much. I don't think we ever did any real engineering on these.

Attachments

• IMG_0001LR.jpg
    IMG_0001LR.jpg
    371.8 KB · Views: 625
  • IMG_0002LR.jpg
    IMG_0002LR.jpg
    397.1 KB · Views: 595
  • IMGLR.jpg
    IMGLR.jpg
    437.5 KB · Views: 557
  • IMG_0004LR.jpg
    IMG_0004LR.jpg
    417.7 KB · Views: 527
Really cool.

Do you know if this work was undertaken in response to an Israeli request, or was it speculative on Northrop's part?

Northrop later lobbied against the Lavi, arguing it was unfair to fund a competitor to its F-20.

My understanding is that IAI pitched a teaming effort at Northrop and this was their response after reviewing IAI's original, F404-powered, design. They felt it was unworkable as specified and offered these as alternatives that would be less expensive and more likely to be successful; IAI disagreed and they went their separate ways.

Back
Top Bottom