Northrop F-5H Two Place F-20 (N-354)

BillRo

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Here is a GA of the Northrop Two Place F-20 designated N-354 F-5H and some artist impressions from Northrop graphics from 1982. The model is from '85 an RF-5H with a camera nose and a strange fairing under the aft fuselage.

Attachments

• F-5H GA.jpg
    F-5H GA.jpg
    425.3 KB · Views: 2,330
  • F-5H Front View.jpg
    F-5H Front View.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 2,094
  • F-5H.jpg
    F-5H.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 1,937
  • F-5H Pair.jpg
    F-5H Pair.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 1,882
  • RF-5H.jpg
    RF-5H.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 1,872
Fantastic! Thank you so much for sharing, Bill! ;)

That almost looks like it has the RF-18 nose on it (The recon version). Awesome pics. Thank you Bill, I really appreciate all of these pics you've posted.

Thanks Bill for all the Northrop goodies - most excellent! Mark

tanks BillRo, very nice 3view. are you have any structural layout from this aircraft (f-5h)? i like comparison with f-5e/f and f-5h.

Sorry I don't have a structural arrangement. Nose, wing and tail were similar to F-5E with the cockpit aft bulkhead cranked back for the longer canopy.

Hi
thanks for your kind reply.
as far as I know, each of Northrop airplane has a document , named "Technical Description"
that have useful information. I have seen F-5E Technical Description & YF-17 Technical Description.
I wanted to ask you do you have F-20 & YF-23 Technical Descriptions?
happy to see your response

We also did an F-18L Technical Description but unfortunately I have none of those.

model is from '85 an RF-5H with a camera nose and a strange fairing under the aft fuselage

Yes good spotting with this fairing BillRo!
I wonder if it could be a conformal fuel tank of some description? If so it would be some what before its time!
Hopefully we might find out more from the vast knowledge of our fellow forum members.

Thanks again for sharing

Regards
Pioneer

It's a conformal dispenser and/or jammer, I would guess.

Here are Northrop cutaway drawings of the Two-Place F-5H and the Tigershark for comparison.

Attachments

• F-5H Cutaway.jpg
    F-5H Cutaway.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 680
  • F-5G Cutaway.jpg
    F-5G Cutaway.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 729
BillRo said:
We also did an F-18L Technical Description but unfortunately I have none of those.

I actually have both the brochure and I think also the "book". They're both in storage and later this year I'll try and pull them out and at least post some of the former. I'd have to have Nortrhop's permission to post anything from the latter given my NDA.

BillRo said:
Here are Northrop cutaway drawings of the Two-Place F-5H and the Tigershark for comparison.

Thank you for posting that. One of the discussions at the time was wheter to build one of the demonstrators as a two-seater. You're at a competitive disadvantage in marketing when you can't take potential customers up for a ride.

Sorry I don't have a structural arrangement. Nose, wing and tail were similar to F-5E with the cockpit aft bulkhead cranked back for the longer canopy.
Yes, the canopy seems a superior design and layout on face value of the drawing BillRo

Regards
Pioneer