Oplinter aircraft

Maveric

Fight for yor Right!
Reaction score
Hi all,

can you tell me more about the belgium ingenieur Oplinter and his aircraft? I have only two pictures...

Thanks

Attachments

• Oplinter Air Taxi.jpg
    Oplinter Air Taxi.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 722
  • Oplinter Monoplane.jpg
    Oplinter Monoplane.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 720
Look at this link for the Air Taxi... http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/aviation/16278-oplinter-air-taxi-dga-models-1-200-a.html

No other informations about Oplinter and his aircraft???

Maveric this is from the presentation of cardmodel:

"Jean de Wouters d'Oplinter designed his "Air Taxi" in 1933, intending to market it as a light airliner and mail hauler. The design was never built, though evidence exists that some sub-assemblies for a prototype were sub-contracted out. The design incorporated several advanced features: an enclosed cabin, a wide-track tricycle landing gear to prevent nose-overs and groundloops, and easy-access engines mounted above the wings in a pusher configuration, and low ground profile for easy loading and unloading of passengers, baggage, and cargo. Underfunded, the Oplinter never left the drawing board-"

From the model presentation:

http://ecardmodels.com/oplinter-taxi-paper-model-p-2304.html

the models is in several deliveries:

http://ecardmodels.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=oplinter&x=0&y=0

I'm a cardmodeler I'll try ask in the cardmodel forums. I think I've the model I'll see if it has more information I've just to found. That's is the problem when the model is just a pdf :p

Regards
Alcides

Guido the talented designer of paper model give me some more information:

"Mr. Wouters d'Oplinter (his full name) was published years ago in the Brussels air museum magazine AELR, which also had some 3-view drawings and sketches of Oplinter designs. It included the intriguing Air Taxi which I turned into a model."

so, If someone has access to the AELR magazine maybe we can have some information and drawings from Mr. Oplinter. :)

Here is a brief summary of the various projects designed by Jean de Wouters d'Oplinter. None was built unless mentioned:
- type A, 1923, single seat light monoplane with a thick cantilever wing and one "propulseur trompe" engine (maybe a sort of early jet engine like those by Mélot)
- type B, 1923, two seat twin boom light monoplane with a thick cantilever wing and two "propulseur trompe" engines
- Bat, late 1920s, various design concepts for a two-engine bomber, some of them with twin booms
- biplane, late 1920s, single seat light biplane
- Oplinter 50, late 1920s, single seat light parasol monoplane
- ARA, 1931, single seat parasol monoplane with Salmson 9Ad 40hp engine, construction was well advanced in the Guldentops workshops but it was never finished, registration OO-ARA was apparently planned but not officially given
- Arrian, 1932, glider
- type 25, 1932, glider
- glider with elliptical wing, early 1930s, flying wing design
- flying wing motor glider, early 1930s, another flying wing design with pusher engine
- type 10 mètres, 1932, single seat low wing monoplane, Salmson 9Ad 40hp engine, the first aircraft would have reused the fuselage of the ARA
- Wielemanns III, 1932-33, a derivative of the type 10 mètres with Gipsy 120hp engine, that would have been built by Robert Wielemanns
- Squale, ca. 1932, low wing monoplane with maybe retractable gear, two seats in tandem, the front one being maybe enclosed in a sort of cabin
- biplane military trainer, ca. 1933, maybe intended to compete with the Stampe SV.5, Renard R.34 and LACAB T.7
- Long Courrier or Air Taxi, 1933, cabin monoplane with tricycle gear and two Gipsy Major 135hp pusher engines. Guy Roberty mentions that the same configuration was found on a 1936 Tipsy project with two AVA 25hp engines, and on the Régnier 22 (two-seat), 23 (three-seat) and 24 (four-seat) projects dated ca. 1937-38, but it is not known if these were designed or influenced by Wouters.
- parasol monoplane, mid 1930s, two seats in tandem and folding parasol wing
- Lark 1, ca. 1934-35, single seat low wing monoplane, precursor of the Tipsy S
- Lark 10, mid 1930s, evolution of the Lark 1 with high aspect ratio wing, single wheel or conventional landing gear
- Lark IIa, b, c, 1937, single seat shoulder wing monoplane with pusher engine
- A-8, ca. 1937, single seat high wing monoplane with pusher engine ; it has an unusual configuration with no vertical tail and vertical surfaces at the end of the wings
- single engine pusher, mid to late 1930s, shoulder wing monoplane with a single engine inside the fuselage driving two pusher propellers
- Oplinter W.4, 1937, low wing monoplane with two seats side by side in an enclosed cabin, built and flown with registration OO-ARV
- S.E.A. 3, 1939, variant of the W.4 built by Peetermans, of which three examples were started. According to Les Ailes 20 Jul. 1939, two aircraft were exhibited at the 1939 Bruxelles Salon, but these perhaps included the original W.4 prototype.
- S.E.A. 4, ca. 1939, larger and more powerful version of the W.4 for military training, perhaps corresponding to a drawing by Wouters of a W.4 with six-cylinder engine and retractable gear
- twin engine W.4, ca. 1939, three seat cabin aircraft

Source:
- Brussels Air Museum Magazine no.75, the whole issue consists of a fascinating study by Guy Roberty about the aircraft projects by Jean de Wouters d'Oplinter

What a great work,many thanks my dear Adrien.

I spoke before about this Project,

and from BAMM magazine,here is all details;

The "Bat" - series of drawings and three views illustrating various
configurations of a twin-engine bomber. We find two variants of a
double girder reminiscent of the light project of the twin-thruster
trompe of 1923 which he could be an extrapolation. The others,
more classic are not used maybe that brought out the allure
revolutionary of the first?.Beige military aviation, towards the end
from the 20s, was looking for a multi-engine bomber. We know
that SABCA had studied S. 3 which had not been built and that our
soldiers had opted for the Fokker F. VII / 3m. Jean de Wouters, then
still very young, he wanted tackle this market or has it simply delivered