Fairchild-Republic FR-150 Sea Control Ship (SCS) fighter

uk 75

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Reading the chapter in TB's new American Secret Projects book on the contenders for the VSTOL USN fighter in the 70s I was fascinated by the lengthy narrative on the Fairchild Republic proposal.

No pictures appear, but it seems to resmble a smaller updated version of the company's proposal for the abortive US/FRG swing wing vstol fighter, in that it has swing out vstol pods.

Anyone out there have more?

UK 75

flateric said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=200215339949&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=010

It really looks like a VTOL version of the Grumman F11-F "Tiger"....

Seems to share some similarities to the LTV V-520 (American Secret Projects: Fighters and Interceptors p150)

Starviking

Aha this could be the Fairchild Republic candidate described by but not illustrated in US Secret Projects Fighters. It has the flip out engines and the overfuselage intakes which are hallmarks of this machine. Good find!

UK 75

Yes, it screams Fairchild Republic. The lift engines and inlet locations are very like the later AVS designs (after they moved away from the paired inlet that looked like an upside-down Typhoon).

Indeed similar to the "USFRG V/STOL design", as shown in Aviation Week 10/1967, I think.

Attachments

• USFRG.jpg
    USFRG.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 726
And finally, a factory model of the Fairchild-Republic FR-150 SCS fighter, in VTOL configuration: main engine vectored down and pop-out turbojets in lift position. The scaled-down AVS layout is apparent.

The FR-150 was the last attempt at getting a return on a project that occupied Boeing, Republic, Fokker (during the D-24 Allianz effort), Heinkel, Messerschmitt and Bölkow (the latter three as EWR) during most of the 1960s.

Attachments

• Republic SCS FR-150.jpg
    Republic SCS FR-150.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 1,149
I have a bunch of photos of that (not of that quality, though). I'll dig them up.

Found quicker'n expected. The originals were multi-view glossies... but scanning was not allowed, only (bleah) photocopying. So the quality is relatively dismal.

Attachments

• fairchildvtol1a.gif
    fairchildvtol1a.gif
    213.3 KB · Views: 586
  • fairchildvtol2a.gif
    fairchildvtol2a.gif
    151.5 KB · Views: 528
  • fairchildvtol3a.gif
    fairchildvtol3a.gif
    166.5 KB · Views: 231
  • fairchildvtol4a.gif
    fairchildvtol4a.gif
    167.6 KB · Views: 213
  • fairchildvtol5a.gif
    fairchildvtol5a.gif
    180.9 KB · Views: 248
Another image:

Attachments

• img958a.jpg
    img958a.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 393
It looks like it would have carried a good warload for such a small design
Thanks great pics. :eek:
Unfortunately I think Fairchild-Republic was a bit of an over looked entity in the US aerospace/aviation industry.
I think Fairchild-Republic would have had a hard time braking into the Navy aircraft business, due to its lack of carrier-based aircraft history and experience.
I've never been able to figure out as to why the USN chose the likes of the XFV-12A, when they had designs like the FR-150 and General Dynamics Model 200? ??? ??? ???

Regards
Pioneer

Back
Top Bottom