Modus disc-rotor VTOL project

CammNut

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
turboshaft said:
Groen (teamed with Georgia Tech) was one of the non-selected bidders for the CDA phase (along with Carter and Modus)

The mention of Modus sent me to my "Looney" files, and I found this postcard from the early 1990s. On the back are two web addresses. Not surprisingly, the www.verticraft.com website does not work, but www.yoshine.com still does.

Attachments

• Modus0001.JPG
    Modus0001.JPG
    154.2 KB · Views: 235
Cammnut,

Some more info on the latest iteration of the 'blue sky' Modus design was given at AHS63. The new concept - being fronted by U.S. based Modus Verticraft Inc. - employs the F-35B's F135 propulsion system (complete with drive shaft and 3BN) with GE90 fan blades used for the switchblade-esque turbofanrotor. 600 kts
'targeted.'

sorry - clicked too soon

I tracked down Modus - and here is the design Turboshaft refers to, presented at the American Helicopter Society's Forum 63 earlier this year.

It has a hub/wing that acts as a fixed circular wing in forward flight, then unlocks, rotates and deploys short fan blades to act as a rotor for vertical flight. The three-bearing swivel nozzle concept from the Joint Strike Fighter is used for propulsion in forward flight and anti-torque in the hover.

Attachments

• Modus 01.JPG
    Modus 01.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 242
  • Modus 02.JPG
    Modus 02.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 187
Cam- Unless I have missed something, is there anyone taking this seriously? I have yet to see anything better than Power Point pictures and glowing techno-gibberish. At least the Chinese team working this had good pictures and models...

No-one that I know of, although Modus says it hopes to get an AFRL contract to windtunnel test the rotor-to-wing transition. We will see...

Hey, if the DuPont DP-2 can get $63 million in US taxpayers money, who knows?

Cam! Buddy! I got an idea! Know any Congressmen? ;D

Back
Top Bottom