Bratukhin helicopters... built and unbuilt

Stargazer

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
A development of the Bratukhin line of experimental helicopters that started with the Omega/B-2, B-3 and B-5 prototypes, the Bratukhin B-10 was conceived as an "aerial observation post". A single example was built and flown in 1947. Although behaviour was considered satisfactory, the Soviet authorities disregarded helicopter programs at the time, especially with twin lateral rotor configuration, and so the program was halted.

Attachments

• B-10 plans 1.jpg
    B-10 plans 1.jpg
    381.1 KB · Views: 709
  • B-10 plans 2.jpg
    B-10 plans 2.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 666
  • B-10 full-size mockup.jpg
    B-10 full-size mockup.jpg
    365.2 KB · Views: 631
More pictures of the Bratukhin B-10:

Attachments

• B-10 during trials.jpg
    B-10 during trials.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 589
  • B-10 trials.jpg
    B-10 trials.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 576
The Bratukhin B-11 utiility helicopter followed the same configuration as its predecessors and was equally unsuccessful. It was the last of Bratukhin's twin-rotor helicopters before
dissolution of his design bureau. Only two prototypes were built but development was abandoned for the same reasons as for the B-10.

Attachments

• I.P. Bratukhin and B-11, 1950.jpg
    I.P. Bratukhin and B-11, 1950.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 160
  • B-11 side view.jpg
    B-11 side view.jpg
    334.5 KB · Views: 159
An undesignated Bratukhin helicopter design appeared in the Russian magazine Nauka i Zhisn (literally: "Science and Life") in 1940. It had a fairly conventional design with twin-tails and co-axial rotors, but sported unusual wings on either sides of the nose.

Attachments

• Nauka i Zhisn, 1940.jpg
    Nauka i Zhisn, 1940.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 153
This large, undesignated Bratukhin transport helicopter echoes in many ways the contemporary Fairey Rotodyne:

Attachments

• brat8.jpg
    brat8.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 181
  • brat9.jpg
    brat9.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 193

Attachments

• Asboth 1.JPG
    Asboth 1.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 171
You must be right hesham, since it's the same design you're showing. I made the mistake because it was shown in a Russian article devoted to Bratukhin designs.

Shouldn't this be in Postwar Projects? I very much appreciate your posting, though. I keep wondering what kind of archive you're sitting on.

Arjen said:
Shouldn't this be in Postwar Projects? I very much appreciate your posting, though. I keep wondering what kind of archive you're sitting on.

I hesitated about where to put it, but since it will also contain unbuilt projects (and since the built ones here were merely prototypes) I think it qualifies better for that section. Of course if a moderator thinks otherwise, please move it accordingly.

My archive, as you call it, is the thousands of internet pics, photocopies, paper clippings, scanned magazines which I'm only slowly going through for this forum... ;)

Two three-view arrangements and a very poor-quality photograph of the Omega-1 helicopter:

Attachments

• Omega-1 two-tone three-view.jpg
    Omega-1 two-tone three-view.jpg
    326.6 KB · Views: 156
  • Omega-1.jpg
    Omega-1.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 139
  • Omega-1 three-view.gif
    Omega-1 three-view.gif
    128.6 KB · Views: 157
A cutaway view of the Bratukhin B-10, from Polygon No.4, like many images in this page:

Attachments

• B-10 cutaway restored.gif
    B-10 cutaway restored.gif
    341.8 KB · Views: 176
source V.Miheev "Moscow Helicopter Plant named V.L.Mil"

Attachments

• B-10-.jpg
    B-10-.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 161
  • Omega  2MG.jpg
    Omega 2MG.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 159
Also from, ROTARY WING AIRCRAFT HANDBOOKS AND HISTORY VOLUME 13;

here is a strange design to Bratukhin in 1936,maybe it was B-1 ?.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    338.8 KB · Views: 112
Also from, ROTARY WING AIRCRAFT HANDBOOKS AND HISTORY VOLUME 13;

here is a strange design to Bratukhin in 1936,maybe it was B-1 ?.
I guess it is "free interpretation" of the TsAGI 11-EA, based on incomplete and incorrect info, or maybe some kind of its preliminary design. Basic layout is the same, only the fuselage shape is different, and 3-blade rotor instead 4-blade. And they say it was supposedly built as a prototype; if so, then it could not be anything else than 11-EA.

Regarding the "B-1": the first "independent" (non-TsAGI) Bratukhin design was the Omega helicopter (sometimes mentioned as the Omega-1). It was succeeded by the Omega-2 (called also G-2 in some sources; "G" for Gelikopter); the following two models were designated only with "G" letter - G-3 and G-4, and then the designation was changed to "B" for Bratukhin - B-5, B-6, etc. So, the numeration went in order, starting from the Omega; in other words, the Omega is the would-be "B-1".

Attachments

• 11ea-1.gif
    11ea-1.gif
    124 KB · Views: 99
  • 11ea-1.jpg
    11ea-1.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 93
  • 11ea-c1.jpg
    11ea-c1.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
An undesignated Bratukhin helicopter design appeared in the Russian magazine Nauka i Zhisn (literally: "Science and Life") in 1940. It had a fairly conventional design with twin-tails and co-axial rotors, but sported unusual wings on either sides of the nose.
Th Sowjet drawings look pretty much like the Asboth AS-6 respectively AS-X. I put them together for comparion.

Attachments

• 1938_Asbóth-Koaxial-AH-X_vs_1940_Nauka-i-Zhisn.jpg
    1938_Asbóth-Koaxial-AH-X_vs_1940_Nauka-i-Zhisn.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 57

You are right my dear Arjen,it belongs to Postwar section,but there is a art of it,related to this section.

Back
Top Bottom