Globe and Temco models list

Stargazer

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
All Bennett, Globe and Temco projects have been regrouped into this one list since they were just one and the same company at different times. This is far from complete, so if you can improve it in any way, let your voice be heard! ;)

? BTC-1 « EXECUTIVE ». Twin-engined monoplane, formerly called Bennett BTC-1 and also found as Breese Bennett and Bowlus Bennett (1937)
? GC-1 « SWIFT ». Single-engined monoplane (1941)
? AT-10 « WICHITA ». Subcontract for 600 Beech AT-10 USAAF trainers
? GC-1A « SWIFT 85 ». Single-engined monoplane, an "All Metal Swift" re-designed by K.H."Bud" Knox, with an 85 hp engine (1945)
? GC-1B « SWIFT 125 ». Like GC-1A but with a more powerful engine of 125 hp (93 kW) (1946)
? KDG-1 « SNIPE. Mid-wing target for U.S. Navy powered by a McCulloch 4300 piston engine (1946)
? KDG-2 « SNIPE ». Variant of KDG-1 with a different electrical system
? F-24R-46 « FORWARDER ». Fairchild utility aircraft with Ranger engine, built under license (1946)
? F-24W-46 « FORWARDER ». Fairchild utility aircraft with Warner engine, built under license (1946)
? XKD2G-1 « FIREFLY ». Pulsejet-powered mid-wing, all metal target for U.S. Navy with McDonnell 8" pulsejet and twin vertical tails (1946)
? KD2G-1 « FIREFLY ». Production version with a 28V electrical system (1947)
? KD2G-2 « FIREFLY ». Similar to KD2G-1 but powered by a Solar PJ32 8" pulsejet (1950)
9 Small pilotless aircraft for US Navy, no details (1947)
10 Mid-wing, all-metal target for US Navy, powered by an eight-inch resojet engine (1947)
? KD3G-1 « SNIPE ». Navy target similar to KDG-1 but with 26 kW (35 hp) Kiekhaefer O-45-35 piston engine
? KD3G-2 « SNIPE ». Similar to KD3G-1 with an AN/ARW-26Y radio control receiver for 28V electrical system
11? KD4G-1 « QUAIL ». High-wing target for Navy's KD-200 (200-knot target) competition powered by a 26 kW (35 hp) Kiekhaefer O-45-35 piston engine (1947)
? « SILVAIRE ». Formerly a Luscombe model
? « AEROCAR ». Molt Taylor design that almost was produced by Temco
22 « GOBLIN ». Delta-shaped pilotless aircraft proposal for U.S. Navy with dorsal pulsejet engine
24 Pilotless aircraft for US Navy's KD-VI program (1948)
? (X)KD5G-1. High-wing target drone for U.S. Navy with twin vertical tails, powered by single Marquardt PJ46 pulsejet; initially proposed as KD2G-3 (1949)
? KD6G-1 « FIREFLY ». Navy target based on the KD2G-2 but powered with a McCullough O-100-1 piston engine (1951)
? KD6G-2 « FIREFLY ». Similar to KD6G-1 but with a Kiekhaefer (X)V-105-2 engine; redesignated as (X)MQM-40A
? TE-1A. Tandem trainer derivative of Globe SWIFT for the Philippine Government with Franklin 6A4-165-B3 engine (6 built) (1948)
? TE-1A « BUCKAROO » (YT-35). Tandem trainer derivative of Globe SWIFT for U.S. Air Force with Franklin 6A4-165-B3 engine (3 evaluated) (1949)
? TE-1B « BUCKAROO » (T-35A). Variant with Continental C-145-2H engine sold to Saudi Arabia through the USAF under the Mutual Defense Aid Plan (10 examples)
? TE-1B « BUCKAROO »(export). One to Italy and one to Israel for evaluation
? D-16 « TWIN NAVION ». Twin-engined Ryan NAVION by Temco-Riley (marketed in 1953) (1951)
? D-16A « RILEY '55 ». More powerful variation of TWIN NAVION (1954)
27 Cheap lightweight fighter proposal for U.S. Army (seen in a 1954 article)
30 Advanced trainer proposal for the U.S. Air Force's MX-1962 program, ultimately won by Cessna XT-37 (1953)
32 Twin-turboprop business transport aircraft project (1954)
31 VF Class day fighter proposal for U.S. Navy (OS-130) which lost against the F8U (1953)
33 PLEBE. Single-engined low-wing monoplane primary trainer; retractable tricycle gear and 225 hp (168 kW) Continental O-470-3 (2 ex.) (1953)
39 Tailsitter VTO jet-powered day fighter concept for U.S. Air Force (1954)
? XKDT-1 « TEAL ». Low-cost expendable high-performance target drone for U.S. Navy (first flight in Sept. 1957) (1955)
? TP-51D « MUSTANG ». Conversions of P-51D fighters as trainers; also found as TF-51D (1956)
50 Twin turbo-prop STOL proposal for US Army, 1,5 to 2 tons, about 5,000 pounds empty weight; payload of 1,5 tons; tricycle landing gear (1956)
51 YTT-1. Mid-wing, tricycle landing gear advanced jet trainer demonstrator, purchased by the U.S. Navy (1 ex.) (1956)
51 TT-1 PINTO. Production batch of YTT-1 for U.S. Navy (14 ex.) (1956)
54 Basic jet trainer proposal (needs confirmation)
58 Small COIN aircraft demonstrator reworked from the Model 33 PLEBE (1956)
59 VT Class basic jet trainer proposal for U.S. Navy
60 VKD Class target drone for U.S. Navy, possibly competing against Radioplane RP-70
63 VU Class utility staff transport proposal for U.S. Navy
? XASM-N-8 CORVUS. Anti-radiation missile to U.S. Navy's TS-3002 specification (Oct. 56) (first flight in July 1959) (1957)
79 VKD Class expendable powered target proposal for U.S. Navy (1959
122 AIR TRAILER. Cargo glider transport for vehicles, to be hauled by a C-130 or a C-133 transport
? GDD-1. Unmanned radio-controlled aircraft for the U.S. Weather Bureau

NOTE: Globe and Temco types led to later variants, all rebuilt from existing aircraft:

- SUPER PINTO (T-610 CALI) Conversions of Model 51 reengined it with the CJ-610 jet by American Jet (AJI) as a COIN aircraft for the Philippine Air Force (1968)
- EJ-1 SUPER PINTO. Former PINTO aircraft reconditioned by Ezell Aviation
- Project of 5-seat executive transport derivative of the PINTO by American Jet (AJI); not proceeded with
- T-100 SUPER MUSTANG . Derivative of PINTO to be built under licence in China by Shenyang Aircraft (Oct. 88 mention); project canceled in 1989 (1988)
- LP-1 SWIFTFURY. Attempt by LoPresti-Piper to turn the Globe SWIFT into a modern day general aviation type; prototype only (1988)
- SWIFTFIRE. Attempt by LoPresti-Piper to turn the Globe SWIFT into a modern day general aviation type; prototype only (1989)

I do not know if it received a type number, but the flying service where I worked in the 1950s had an 85 swift converted with a 145 Franklin engine. My memory is it still had a NC rather than an NX registration.

Best regards,

Artie Bob

ps. I was in one of three primary classes that flew the TT-1. A Little over 50 hours in type, lots of fun. ab

Artie Bob said:
I do not know if it received a type number, but the flying service where I worked in the 1950s had an 85 swift converted with a 145 Franklin engine. My memory is it still had a NC rather than an NX registration.

Best regards,

Artie Bob

ps. I was in one of three primary classes that flew the TT-1. A Little over 50 hours in type, lots of fun. ab

Artie, you're my new hero!! ;D Anyone that flew in this most beloved aircraft of mine deserves my highest respect!

Hi,

54 basic jet trainer.

Also there is D-160,but I will search for more info about it.

Hi All!
Model 32---transport aircraft proposal.
I do not remember the source.

nugo said:
Model 32---transport aircraft proposal.
I do not remember the source.

Found. In Les Ailes N°1500, 1954. The Temco 32 was a twin-turboprop business aircraft. "Luxury and comfort for American businessmen," says the header...
If anyone has that issue, scans would be appreciated...

Attachments

• Temco 32.jpg
    Temco 32.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 470
Stargazer2006 said:
If anyone has that issue, scans would be appreciated...

Should be available in the States Library Berlin, will have a try during my next "raid", in about two weeks.

59 VT Class basic jet trainer proposal for U.S. Navy

I believe this to be the TTX, a proposed developed version of the basic TT-1 :-

"On 4 May 1958, Temco issued a news
release announcing a growth devel-
opment of the TT—1. The new model
was referred to as the TTX, and was
destined to accomodate a larger
engine and carry an increased fuel
load. The TTX was intended to be
carrier capable, and take the student
pilot through more than half of his
total flight training...
The TTX was conceived to rely
heavily on the TT—1 engineering;
parts commonality was to be maxi-
mized, and the basic Pinto structure
was to be retained...
The TTX would differ externally
from the TT-1 by the enlargement of
the aft canopy fairing. This would
allow the installation of additional
navigation gear (TACAN) and
improve the streamlining of the
canopy. The tail boom would now
carry an arrester hook, and catapult
lugs would be added to the forward
fuselage. The nosewheel would be
enlarged and high pressure tires
would be employed for carrier opera-
tions.
Internally, extra fuel cells contain-
ing 96 gallons were planned for loca-
tions in the outboard wing panels.
Externally, an additional 100 gallons
could be carried on pylon mounted
wing tanks. ln total, the TTX’s fuel
capacity was 323 gallons ...
The growth engine was expected
to be either the Continential J69-T-25
of 1,025 lbs. of thrust or the J69-T-23
which promised even more thrust.
However, there is no record that the
T-23 was ever produced.
The TTX never evolved beyond
the planning stage. A few preliminary
general arrangement drawings and
inboard profile drawings are all that
remain of the concept."

Source "Naval Fighters #72, Temco TT-1 Pinto", pp.28-30.

cheers,
Robin.

Attachments

• temco TTX #1.png
    temco TTX #1.png
    33.3 KB · Views: 429
  • temco TTX #2.png
    temco TTX #2.png
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,019
  • temco TTX #3.png
    temco TTX #3.png
    72.4 KB · Views: 412
Splendid! Thanks a lot Robin, I unfortunately don't have that issue of Naval Fighters so it's nice to see that other members can add to the topic!

You really ought to get that book, as a self-confessed TT-1 nut....
First a disclaimer, it doesn't explicitly say in the TT-1 book that the TTX is the Model 59, so don't take it as gospel, we still need confirmation of this.
Second, because I can, here are some images of the Buckaroo and Plebe, source as above...

cheers,
Robin.

Attachments

• temco buckaroo #1.png
    temco buckaroo #1.png
    553.8 KB · Views: 361
  • temco buckaroo #2.jpg
    temco buckaroo #2.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 45
  • temco plebe #1.png
    temco plebe #1.png
    374.7 KB · Views: 53
  • temco plebe #2.png
    temco plebe #2.png
    355.8 KB · Views: 63
Found this illustration of the Temco 122 somewhere a long time ago.

Attachments

• Temco_122_Air_Trailer.jpg
    Temco_122_Air_Trailer.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 78
Temco Model 27: turboprop trainer designed to be powered by an Armstrong Siddeley Mamba engine. A mockup fuselage was built.
Temco Model 29: alternate version of above to be powered by an Allison 520-C-1 turbojet engine rated at 1,870 lb. thrust.

Source: Aviation Week, June 22, 1953

NOTE: the Model 27 was found in another article in 1954, this time as a cheap lightweight fighter project. I think this was already mentioned earlier in this topic.

Some gap fillers for the list:

31T Single engine jet fighter proposal
38T Single engine jet fighter proposal
39 VTOL Day fighter J-71 engine, tail sitter
41 Jet trainer similar to Model 32 with four wing mounted jet engines
43 VTOL Day fighter J-75 engine, tail sitter
44 VTOL Day fighter twin J-79 engines, tail sitter
45 Trainer similar to Model 32 with twin turboprop engines

Great find my dear Bill,

and do you have any drawings for them,and thanks ?.

Amongst the first post listing was the Turbo-Commuter. However, I am wondering if this was really a Temco product, as an article in the Feb 1977 issue of Air International, actually puts it as a product of Tamco, the acronym standing for Turbo-Airliner Manufacturing Company. I attach the original article for your perusal.

Attachments

• Tamco Turbo commuter.jpg
    Tamco Turbo commuter.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 187
Further to my previous post, I have found this article in Flight International covering the Turbo-Commuter, https://www.flightglobal.com/FlightPDFArchive/1976/1976%20-%20

Nice find Victor,

but it was anther company,the Temco is abbreviated to Texas Engineering & Manufacturing Company.

I came across these two images of the XKDT-1 Teal low cost target drone.

The first being an artist concept and the second actual flight test hardware undergoing a staged checkout procedure.

bill

Attachments

• Temco-XKDT-1-Teal-Artist-Concept.jpg
    Temco-XKDT-1-Teal-Artist-Concept.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 117
  • Temco-XKDT-1-Teal.jpg
    Temco-XKDT-1-Teal.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 130
VictorXL188 said:
Amongst the first post listing was the Turbo-Commuter. However, I am wondering if this was really a Temco product, as an article in the Feb 1977 issue of Air International, actually puts it as a product of Tamco, the acronym standing for Turbo-Airliner Manufacturing Company. I attach the original article for your perusal.

Thanks for this. I have removed that entry and will fix the mistake right away in my own files and upcoming website.

Generally the model list posts should be reserved for designations only, not informative posts. Otherwise it just becomes a topic "lots of random Temco projects".

39 Tailsitter VTO jet-powered day fighter concept for U.S. Air Force (1954)
? XKDT-1 « TEAL ». Low-cost expendable high-performance target drone for U.S. Navy (first flight in Sept. 1957) (1955)

Between these two designs,Temco had another concept;

VO a high performance observation reconnaissance design study for US Navy,1955

Good Day All -

Last week I visited the Swift Foundation Museum in Athens, TN while on our annual Spring Break Road Trip. Excellent Museum and stunning examples of the various Swifts made by Globe and Temco, the one off LoPresti Fury, a T-35 Buckaroo in Saudi markings and the Johnson "The Rocket" which is considered to the be the forerunner of the Globe Swift. Among the artifacts on display was a 1946 water color painting of a proposed 4 seat Swift. I could not find a model # reference so maybe it would be best described as a concept.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• Globe proposed 4 seat Swift.jpg
    Globe proposed 4 seat Swift.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 22
A few more from the Swift Museum - pardon the light/window glare.....

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• Globe 4 place conceptual drawing.jpg
    Globe 4 place conceptual drawing.jpg
    991.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Globe 4 place conceptual instrument panel drawing.jpg
    Globe 4 place conceptual instrument panel drawing.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
Many thanks to you my dear Mark,

and if there is more projects ?.

From American Aviation Daily 1949,

the Model-72.