The Rouanet-Rey elastic wing assembly

Stargazer

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
I came across this interesting invention in a 1948 issue of Science et Vie, the French equivalent to Popular Science.

It is called the Rouanet-Rey elastic wing. The wings were articulated along slanting axes to diminish the overload on the wings in case of prolonged squall, tight banking and so forth.

I haven't been successful so far in finding the patent for this invention, nor have I found any practical application for it. I don't know if it is just here as a matter of example or if the elastic wing assembly was actually tested on a full-size aircraft.

Any ideas? Any leads?

Attachments

• voilure Rouanet-Rey.gif
    voilure Rouanet-Rey.gif
    629.5 KB · Views: 162
I just noticed a difference between the patent and the actual built aircraft:
In the patent the pivot axis clearly is located inboards of the engines, whereas
in the Rey R-01 only the outer wings were articulated, as can be seen on the
photos I've got via the French aeroforum (actual source unknown). May have been
just to reduce the movable mass and to ensure, that the landing gear would stay
fixed, I suppose.

Attachments

• Rey_R-1_01.jpg
    Rey_R-1_01.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 126
  • Rey_R-1_02.jpg
    Rey_R-1_02.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 124
Very interesting. I suppose that the articulation of the engine units around those slanted axes would have caused some heavy aerodynamic headaches that perhaps were not needed to validate the concept in a first stage. Fascinating, anyway.

An American briefly experimented with a similar concept right after WW2. He installed shock-absorbers on the bottom of the V wing struts of an Aeronca(?) 2-seater, high-wing, light plane.

Last edited: