Grumman Design 77

nugo

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Hi All!
"In January 1946, after the Bureau of Aeronautics showed interest in the use of sweptback wings as a result of the data brought back from Germany by the Naval Technical Mission in Europe and of research undertaken by NACA at the Langley Laboratory, Grumman proposed a research aircraft to obtain data on low-speed handling characteristics oh highly swept wings. To reduce costs, consideration was given to fitting swept wings to either a modified Bell P-63 or to a modified Wildcat. In the end, however, Grumman proposed the all-new Design 77. Neither the modified aircraft nor the new design reached the hardware stage. Intended to be powered by a 450-hp Pratt & Whitney R-985 radial, Design 77 was a low-wing aircraft with a wing box structure arranged to accomodate wings with various degrees of sweepback. Fitted with a non-retractable undercarriage, the aircraft was planned as a single-seater but, if desired, could accommodate an observer aft of the pilot."
Source: http://www.angelfire.com/space/grumman/aircraft/designs.html

Attachments

• Grumman Swept Wing Demonstrator Proposal.jpg
    Grumman Swept Wing Demonstrator Proposal.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 1,132
Yes Grumman's sense is very sharp.
So they can developed variable wing XF-10 and Great F-14.
I used to read that F-14 was stronger than F-15 even in dog fight in Japanese news paper , I surprised very much.

I used to read that F-14 was stronger than F-15 even in dog fight in Japanese news paper , I surprised very much.
I would take that with a healthly grain of salt. One IAF F-15 flew home without one wing, not too sure that even a F-14 could do that.

From Grumman Aircraft since 1929,

the G-77.

Attachments

• G-77.png
    G-77.png
    68.8 KB · Views: 587
  • 1.png
    1.png
    246.1 KB · Views: 538
  • 2.png
    2.png
    56.2 KB · Views: 501
Neither Grumman proposal flew, but the Bell L-39.2 most certainly did. Cobra, the history of the first twelve years of Bell Aircraft has an excellent write-up on it.

Thank you for the Info my dear Elmayerle.

From ; Grumman F9f Panther by Brad Elward

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    234.9 KB · Views: 109