My traditional art: rotorcraft projects

Stingray

Resident retro rainbow rotorhead nerdy girl, uwu
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Do you accept traditional art in this section?
Here is a series of pencil drawings and profiles I've done of some rotorcraft projects. I plan to do more soon. Yes, they are based on actual projects/design studies.

1.) Bell Model 280
2.) Boeing-Vertol Model V-360
3-4.) Bell D-255
5.) Unknown Doman airliner helicopter project
6.) Brantly B-2J10 tandem-rotor helicopter project
7.) Bell twin-rotor compound aircraft design study
8.) Bell wing-extending twin stowed rotor aircraft design study

Attachments

• Bell Model 280.png
    Bell Model 280.png
    104.3 KB · Views: 1,223
  • BV V-360.png
    BV V-360.png
    161.8 KB · Views: 1,168
  • D-255.png
    D-255.png
    232.6 KB · Views: 1,105
  • D-255-2.png
    D-255-2.png
    151.1 KB · Views: 996
  • Doman.png
    Doman.png
    382.9 KB · Views: 942
  • B2J10.png
    B2J10.png
    379.4 KB · Views: 74
  • scn1.png
    scn1.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 69
  • Scn2.png
    Scn2.png
    419.8 KB · Views: 54
Those last two have the feel of TV or movie storyboard art - as in giving a clear and concise statement of what is going on. What's the size of these drawings? Are they large or just well done thumbnail drawings? Either way, they are fun statements of aircraft in motion. Do you plan to carry these ideas into C.G. images?

The profile drawings don't do much for me but that's because I just don't get excited for profile art in general. I know a number of people here love profile artwork but to me, profiles are like my models - tools and references to use in developing paintings.

The Artist said:
Those last two have the feel of TV or movie storyboard art - as in giving a clear and concise statement of what is going on. What's the size of these drawings? Are they large or just well done thumbnail drawings? Either way, they are fun statements of aircraft in motion. Do you plan to carry these ideas into C.G. images?

Well, I use normal printing paper, and normally only fill about 60-70% of the page for one aircraft drawing. Not very large, but not too horribly small either.

My science-fiction type of artworks, however, force me to use pretty much the entire page for one drawing, as I like to be very detailed. (You can find those here).

And I'm afraid that's a no on the CG versions. My PC can't handle the software for it, and to be honest, I strongly dislike CGI. I'm more of a fan of physical models. :-\

Good idea to start a topic here, Travis! And see? Your work is appreciated! ;)

Is the designation "D528" in the seventh drawing completely fictitious (as I suspect) or did you base it on existing data?

Stargazer2006 said:
Is the designation "D528" in the seventh drawing completely fictitious (as I suspect) or did you base it on existing data?

The design is real, but what you see on the tail is not a designation, but a failed attempt at a realistic-sounding USAF serial number.

I feel I should add this one, though it's about a month old. I never noticed before, but the airship design is strikingly similar to the Aérospatiale Hélicostat ( http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,14641.0.html), and I honestly have never seen that design before making this drawing.

No worries, some real projects are coming soon. ;)

Attachments

• Weather experiment.png
    Weather experiment.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 58
Concept drawing for a design by my forum friend Tsheten8, a "rotorwash-deflection aircraft" which uses the main rotor's downwash as anti-torque by deflecting it off to the side with directional panelling along the tail section of the fuselage, eliminating the need for a tail rotor.

The design is similar to the Hafner Revoplane RII, which was only tested once but with little success. Tsheten wishes to continue this form of anti-torque study and attempt to perfect it further. Good luck... ;)

Attachments

• tsheten8 - Copy (2).png
    tsheten8 - Copy (2).png
    717.6 KB · Views: 66
Since someone mentioned storyboard art quality, I guess this wouldn't be too far off-topic? ;D

Anyways, I'm planning on getting back to drawing unbuilt projects soon. Had a lot of work to do lately.

Attachments

• 1 - Copy.png
    1 - Copy.png
    786.4 KB · Views: 63
  • 2 - Copy.png
    2 - Copy.png
    866.3 KB · Views: 71
Sketched these obviously fictional autogyro designs in math class last week:

Attachments

• 76d66 - Copy.png
    76d66 - Copy.png
    784.3 KB · Views: 36
Thanks!

And here's another math class sketch from yesterday:

Attachments

• 4wnm75s4563.png
    4wnm75s4563.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 40
More fictional designs/mods:

Attachments

• autogyro_3.png
    autogyro_3.png
    580.7 KB · Views: 32
  • tolwin's bv347.png
    tolwin's bv347.png
    622.4 KB · Views: 61
  • york's sa365 dauphin2 screaming minnie.png
    york's sa365 dauphin2 screaming minnie.png
    943.2 KB · Views: 68
i think it is fair to say that I would not think that these last pictures and the picture at the top of the thread could have been drawn by the same hand. That is phenomenal!

My dear Stingray,

I never saw this topic before,very great work.