Several designs on backside of The British Aircraft Specifications File

boxkite

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
The backside of this book -> http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,13999.0.html shows several designs, but I cannot find a caption inside. Please help to identify them (or confirm my presumption):

1 = Boulton Paul P.99
2 = ?
3 = Armstrong Whitworth proposal for F.11/37
4 = Armstrong Whitworth proposal for B.7/40
5 = ?
6 = Armstrong Whitworth A.W.53
7 = Boulton & Paul P.67
8 = Vickers proposal for G.4/31
9 = ?

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_3397 (FILEminimizer).JPG
    IMG_3397 (FILEminimizer).JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 612
Hi Boskite
Here Armstrong whitworth 11/37

Attachments

• Scan.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 540
  • aw004s.jpg
    aw004s.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 499
boulton paul p 99
(from flitzert.com)

Attachments

• Scan.pdf
    286.5 KB · Views: 73
Hi boxkite
I thing the Vickers g 4/31 was the type 253 Wellesley
Bye

Just a guess about N°2: With its radom under the nose it looks like an ASW-aircraft, similar to the
Shorts Sturgeon. With the fixed landing gear and piston engines it could be a contender to the Shorts
Seamew. Was there a contender from Hunting Percival ? The lines look somewhat similar to the Sea
Prince to me, but that's just a long shot of course ...

This is very interesting. I'm puzzled for the number 9. Looks like a transport or civil airliner. I've to check the books about that one.

toura said:
Hi boxkite
I thing the Vickers g 4/31 was the type 253 Wellesley
Bye

# 8
Thanks for your help, toura. But the sketch (another one on page 156) looks like Type 246, the second of Vickers’ contenders for G.4/31, but in an early configuration with fixed landing gear. (BTW, Type 253 was a biplane.)

Jemiba said:
Just a guess about N°2: With its radom under the nose it looks like an ASW-aircraft, similar to the
Shorts Sturgeon. With the fixed landing gear and piston engines it could be a contender to the Shorts
Seamew. Was there a contender from Hunting Percival ? The lines look somewhat similar to the Sea
Prince to me, but that's just a long shot of course ...

# 2
Jens, I’ve compared the entries in the book.

• Short Sturgeon – competitors for GR.17/45 were Blackburn B-54/B-88, Fairey Gannet and a unnumbered Westland proposal. Design on back cover looks larger than these ones (moreover it’s twin-engined with two nacelles).
  • Short Seamew is outside the timeline of the book
  • too many differences to the Sea Prince (don’t believe in a development design)
  • Tony Buttler mentions the Percival P.70 as an ASW project (no illustration for comparing)

# 5
Specification E.1/48 had two competitors. Bevan Brothers proposed the Jetcopter. Regarding www.vicflintham.co.uk this design based on captured Focke-Achgelis Fa 330, which is too different to the shown side-view. The other contender was De Havilland TK.10 / TS.10. Maybe it’s the project on the back cover?

BTW, does anybody know if the authors Meekcoms and Morgan are still alive?