Late-1960s Lockheed jet-flap STOL air-sea transport

Graham1973

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Found this mystery design at the NTRS. The model looks rather Sci-Fi to me.

R. D Vogler, 'Ground-effects investigation of a STOL air- sea transport model with blowing over the canard and wing flaps

Abstract:

Compressed air was used for blowing over the flaps of the canard and wing. The total mass flow over the flaps was varied as well as the distribution of the flow between the canard and wing. Data were obtained through an angle-of-attack range and an angle-of-sideslip range with the model at various heights above a moving ground plane. Interference effects between canard and wing were obtained by comparing complete model data with data for the wing alone and canard alone.

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19700031374_1970031374.pdf

Attachments

• MysterySeaplane01.png
    MysterySeaplane01.png
    97.2 KB · Views: 856
  • MysterySeaplane02.png
    MysterySeaplane02.png
    140.7 KB · Views: 859
Interesting. Unless it is a generic design, Martin and Convair are the most likely candidates, but I haven't seen this one before in either company's project.

Stargazer2006 said:
Interesting. Unless it is a generic design, Martin and Convair are the most likely candidates, but I haven't seen this one before in either company's project.

Looked through the document. Design is attributed to Lockheed, but I've no idea where to look next.

The key statements in the report are 1) "The Office of Naval Research (ONR) contracted with the Lockheed-California
Company to design and build a model of a jet-flap STOL air-sea transport." and 2) "The model was used in the present NASA-ONR program to investigate the feasibility of such a canard airplane configuration."

What's likely is that somebody at ONR or NASA had a bright idea and paid Lockheed to flesh it out and provide a model for tests. Lockheed and the other airplane companies occasionally have more staff than they have work for so they take on these jobs. Who knows?: it might lead to something and it's better than laying people off. This is how the X-wing got started, although in that case it was DARPA manager with a fantasy and he sucked NASA and then Sikorsky into it.

Hi,

may be,it is the Codeone magazine project,Lockheed CL-936.

Hi! CL-936-2.

"Study on Lockheed aviation in the late 1960 's. CL-936-2, shown here, was supposed to be equipped with four nadkryl'evymi TURBOFANS. Snarjazhjonnyj weight 000000 270 pounds (122 470 kg)."

Attachments

• aviarcheoLM-2013_AA_CL_936_2_1267828237_7495.jpg
    aviarcheoLM-2013_AA_CL_936_2_1267828237_7495.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 196