Wurger

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Hello guys,

Merry Christmas to you all!
I`ve stumbled on this thread at a fellow forum:

http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=20235
Pic:

It relates to a concept fighter, submitted as a graduation thesis at the T.H.Hannover by a student named Helmut Weitzmann, dated January 1938. What puzzles here its the RLM designation "8-19.00-02", giving it a "19", as well as a "Wn", as in "Wiener Neustädter Flugzeugwerke, still in Austria at that time.
Any clues?

Attachments

• Wn19.jpg
    Wn19.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 902
It is similar to the Bf109 but with some significant differences. I only know the "Wn" designation up to the Wn16.
Another pic:

Attachments

• Wn19 b.jpg
    Wn19 b.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 864
Hi,

this is what I`ve found on this interesting subject.

Helmut F. Weitzmann created his own company post-war as "Wiking Gesellschaft für Apparatebau Weitzmann & Co." in Hamburg. In 1954 he filled a patent (not related to aircraft).
If someone is close to Hamburg (or in Germany, for what is worth) the address and contact is:

Wiking Gesellschaft für Apparatebau Weitzmann & Co.
Rahmstorfer Str. 2
21647 Moisburg
Tel.: 04165/6561

It would be super if one of our forum members from Germany contacted this company in order to know more about Helmut Weitzmann and wheter he worked for Wiener Neustätter or not.

I too am finding this a very interesting subject.

I've tried to make a little sense out of the crumpled drawings too. No guarantee of accuracy of course ;) .

P

Attachments

• Wn19 first.jpg
    Wn19 first.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 438
Great surprise to see this project resurected, but it`s in excellent hands ;) !

I ask our german friends to have a call to that Hamburg company. Maybe Herr Weitzman is still alive, or one of its descendants are acquainted with its work in aeronautics. Our forum is also making History by bringing up otherwise "forgotten" projects.

A bit of help ;)

Attachments

• ñ 080.jpg
    ñ 080.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 40
  • ñ 079.jpg
    ñ 079.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 32
  • ñ 078.jpg
    ñ 078.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 30
  • ñ 077.jpg
    ñ 077.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 32
  • ñ 076.jpg
    ñ 076.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 34
  • ñ 075.jpg
    ñ 075.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 61
  • ñ 074.jpg
    ñ 074.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 416
As usual great help Justo.
Many thanks
P :D

I was somewhat sceptical about the short rear fuselage of the Wn-19,
but it seems to be quite correct, at least to my opinion. ;)

Attachments

• Wn-19.jpg
    Wn-19.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Wn-19a.jpg
    Wn-19a.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 56
Hi Jens.
The thought crossed my mind too. It does look kind of like a 'dumpy' Bf109.
(In a similar-ish way how the Rally Group B short wheel base Audi Quattro from a few decades ago, looked compared with the standard car.)

P :)

But still reasonable. Look at the MS 406, or even better, the Ki-60. Maybe a Ki-60 with 109 wings for a starter?

I think there is misunderstanding regarding the term "WN". WN seems to stand for the student Helmut Weitzmann who designed this fighter at the Technical University of Hannover in 1938 (referring to the forum mentioned in the first post). Of course there were the "Wiener Neustädter Flugzeugwerke - WNF" in Austria at Wiener Neustadt (45 km south of Vienna - the same place where the company Diamond Aircraft is located today) where nearly a third of all Me 109 were produced from 1939 onward. Besides the Me 109 the WNF also produced some light aircrafts like the single Wn 16 to explore the concept of nose wheel carriages (designer: Meindl) but - as mentioned - there is no nexus to the Wn 19 of Hannover.

But Basil... Doesn't the WN prefix refer to Wiener Neustadt in WN 342 (Doblhoff)??

Yes, is does, as for several other projects that were to be built at the WNF. Nevertheless WNF was a rather small and mediocre aircraft building company (it was in fact a small airport company) at the outskirts of the Austrian town Wiener Neustadt. WNF was enormously enlarged after the adoption of Austria by the Third Reich (March 12, 1938) when the WNF was incorporated by the Messerschmitt AG and became Messerschmitt´s largest production plant for Me 109 fighters in the Third Reich (15.000 employees) and also a repair facility for other aircrafts coming back from the front line (especially Ju 88s). As a side effect the town Wiener Neustadt was nearly completely destroyed by allied bombing between late 1943 and 1945.

There is no reasonable connection between a student´s design from Hannover (or Hamburg) and a small (at that time) Austrian aircraft builder. And after the incorporation of WNF by the Messerschmitt AG it seems even less plausible.

Basil wrote:
There is no reasonable connection between a student´s design from Hannover (or Hamburg) and a small (at that time) Austrian aircraft builder. And after the incorporation of WNF by the Messerschmitt AG it seems even less plausible.
There is no reason to discard this connection as you put it, and your explanation for the "Wn" seem to me far fetched. Such lapidar conclusions make me very itchy, so I prefer to be in doubt `till I get factual proofs and do not rely on assumptions, either mine or others. By the way, how do you explain the sufix?

Had another look at the link, where these drawings were posted and probably an important clue
lies within the photo not showing the aircraft, but just the stamp (third picture of #6).It says
"Selbständige und eigenhändige Anfertigung versichert an Eidesstatt" (The declaration under
oath, that it was done single-handedly by oneself ) and in the roundel the stamp says "Technische
Fachschule - Diplom-Prüfungsausschuss" (Technical College - Degree examination board).
That makes me quite convinced, that it really was an examination paper, not a project in our
sense. That was the result of the discussion in that forum, too. Would have been more logical
to chose the designation "We" instaed of "Wn" and why there's the number 19, I just can guess.
Perhaps the desigantion "We" already was used by another student (surnames beginning with
"We" are quite common in Germany) and it was the 19th design by Helmut Weitzmann, who knows ?

Back
Top Bottom