Hawker Siddeley Type 1011

Wow! What a beautiful design- makes the airport aprons of today seem rather bland and uninspring. Cheers for this Barrington.

What a beautiful plane. :) From which year is this project?
It reminds me of the B-1 a bit, and also of the proposed Concorde successor.

tubtattoo said:
makes the airport aprons of today seem rather bland and uninspring

Absolutely! I deeply resent that airliner design has been stuck for decades on two or three basic shapes. I applauded the Sonic Cruiser project if only for that. The future of aviation as depicted by Popular Mechanics and the likes in the 1930s/1950s was original and inspiring. Those who foresaw it would be very disappointed at how conservative our world has become.

On a different note: does anyone know why this project received the "1011" designation? This is nowhere near what the P.1011 was about (and a different time slot too).

It was derived from the de Havilland DH 130 I believe.

1011 comes from the Kingston Advanced Projects Group/Advanced Projects Department which started their own numbering scheme at HS.1000 (an SST). This department was born about 1958/59, to study SSTs, hypersonics and space and included refugees from the Avro Canada Advanced Projects Group post Arrow cancellation. Its designs are not part of the Kingston P. sequence.

Some other designs in this range are

1019 Family of hypersonic designs from small test vehicles to transports
1033 canard VG SST
1034 Canard tailless VG Mach 4 fighter

See http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1674.0.html for more on the H.S.1011.

Some designs are too elegant to remain 'on the page' - this cries out to be modelled. Maybe in the colours of the Queen's flight? Y'know, even parked next to Concorde this would still look good.

This design is shown in Project Cancelled where it is mentioned as a possible basis for a maritime recce/ASW aircraft, pre-Nimrod.

There was also a three-engined version suggested as a poffler with four skybolts. I'm currently working on a piece about this beast but I've been sidetracked, literally and metaphorically.

Chris

I was just about to ask if there had been any studies done as to it's suitability to a more 'stategic' task. Supersonic, long range and presumably if capable of maritime reccon, endurance and tough enough for operation at low level - IF it ever got further than a study, it would be quite a capable platform. A pre - B1, B1 type of thingy - one never knows, maybe even UASF would've bought them (sorry, that was clerarly a 'what if' too far... ;) )

Model identified as Hawker Siddeley Aircraft HSA.1011

Source:

index.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Proposed as maritime reconnaissance aircraft, too.
(3-view of pax-version from Derek Wood "Project Cancelled")

Attachments

• HS-1011.jpg
    HS-1011.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 1,149
Triton, I posted the exact same picture a couple of days ago in another thread. Maybe Jemiba could merge the two?

It was mildly supersonic, about M=1.1. The idea was that, as the speed of sound decreases with altitude, the sonic boom would not reach the ground.

There are prints for sale on Amazon.com of the HSA-1011 desk model and a couple of the pictures are views of the aircraft I haven't seen before.
There seems to be some sort of set up between The Mary Evans Picture Library and the National Aerospace Library.

ID this Project

Hi,

from Royal Aeronautical Society,which discovered by my dear Silencer,what was this
project,maybe VG one ?.

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,25907.0.html

http://www.diomedia.com/the-royal-aeronautical-society-national-aerospace-library-photographer11520.html?logKeywords=1&page=9

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    215.1 KB · Views: 706
Re: ID this Project

Thank you CiTrus90,

and we can merge those topic.

CJGibson said:
There was also a three-engined version suggested as a poffler with four skybolts. I'm currently working on a piece about this beast but I've been sidetracked, literally and metaphorically.

Chris

I hope you won't mind, but I took the liberty of taking this from a post of yours over in the Military Concorde thread:
hs1023_poffler-png.596791

EDIT: Fixed image link.

Last edited: