Deino

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Not 100% sure but with a MAD-boom, a weapons-bay and a large serach radar ... I would say that's the long rumoured Y-8GX-6 ASW.

Deino

Attachments

• Y-8MPA first photo 01 - 16.11.11 small.jpg
    Y-8MPA first photo 01 - 16.11.11 small.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 600
  • Y-8MPA first photo 02 - 16.11.11 small.jpg
    Y-8MPA first photo 02 - 16.11.11 small.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 587
  • Y-8MPA first photo 03 - 16.11.11 small.jpg
    Y-8MPA first photo 03 - 16.11.11 small.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 583
IMO itt has no boom ... more a radome as the Y-8W / KJ-200 has but without the dorsal radar-array.

So You propose yet another unidentified version or a fake !??
Maybe the GX-8 ?? ... but this one has a rear-side array http://cnair.top81.cn/surveillance/GX-8a.jpg
Edit: Couldn't be ... seems to have a rear-loading ramp (so could be Y-9) but why that strange rear-faing radome ?? :-\
Really strange ???

If it is not made of rubber ! I don't think so.

There is something slightly CGI looking about the MAD boom and weapons bay door that makes me a bit suspicious.

Johnbr said:
It looks like most of the photo's are gone.

Yepp ... but is the link o.k. for You ?

The entire aft fuselage of the front plane in the third photo looks different. It look more than that on a c-130 with a rear cargo door. The asw version seems to have a faired in rear.

Here's another shot of that version ... I would say a rear-loading ramp + strange radar of a new version ! :eek:

Attachments

• Y-8 strange rear radome.jpg
    Y-8 strange rear radome.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 409
some more ....

Attachments

• Y-8GX lineup.jpg
    Y-8GX lineup.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 708
Another one !!

Attachments

• Y-8GX-6 ASW - 2. fine photos - 01.jpg
    Y-8GX-6 ASW - 2. fine photos - 01.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 505
  • Y-8GX-6 ASW - 2. fine photos - 03.jpg
    Y-8GX-6 ASW - 2. fine photos - 03.jpg
    425.4 KB · Views: 548
Happy new year .....

Attachments

• Y-8GX-6 731 - best.jpg
    Y-8GX-6 731 - best.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 406
Wow!!
I for one have to hand it to the Chinese!
The decision to not just adopt, but to reinvigorate the An-12 'Cub' / Y-8 design is the equivalent of Lockheed modernizing the ambiguous C-130H to the C-130J configuration! After all, as is the case with the venerable C-130, there is nothing wrong with the basic design and concept of both the An-12/C-130!
If anyone doubts the logic of this adoption of the An-12/Y-8 design for Maritime Patrol / ASW, then one only need to look at what Lockheed Martin has studied and proposed recently SC-130J Sea Hercules - an adaption and role not too different to that of this Y-8ASW variant! The difference being that the PRC has it flying, whilst the C-130 Sea Hercules is a paper project!!
I find it interesting that the PRC have deemed it worthwhile to incorporate internal weapons bays into the design (and probably just as likely weapons hardpoints under the wings), just as Lockheed Martin has deemed warranted.
Not every air force/navy needs such an expensive and complicated MP/ASW aircraft as the Boeing P-8 Poseidon aircraft! Perhaps this is something many Western air forces/navy's should seriously take note of??

The good points I personally see in this Y-8ASW is as follows:
1/ The adoption and modification of a proven design (as has been the proven case with IL-18/IL-38 and L-188/P-3 Orion
2/ Cost effective (both purchase and operational costs)
3/ STOL & rough-field capability - critically important considering the PRC's/PLA's appreciation of the United States warfighting strategy of targeting airfields in day one of any military ops!
4/ Ease of avionics and sensor upgrades due to the transport design layout and configuration throughout the life of the design.

Regards
Pioneer

Attachments

• Artist impression of Lockheed Martin SJ-130J Sea Hercules.jpg
    Artist impression of Lockheed Martin SJ-130J Sea Hercules.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 339
Last edited:
Instead of some unfathomable insight that allowed the Chinese to see the supposed wisdom of using something that was proven yesterday, it could simply be that the Chinese simply lack the bandwidth to design a new dedicated ASW airframe while already pursuing so many other projects.

CJGibson said:
Can we have some for the RAF please?

Chris

I suspect that might be Plan B for the 2015 SDSR as qucik fix utilising our surplus C-130J as A400M starts to enter service

chuck4 said:
Instead of some unfathomable insight that allowed the Chinese to see the supposed wisdom of using something that was proven yesterday, it could simply be that the Chinese simply lack the bandwidth to design a new dedicated ASW airframe while already pursuing so many other projects.

Sorry chuck4, I'm not questioning you, but can you please explain by what you mean by
"the Chinese simply lacking bandwidth to design a new dedicated ASW airframe"
?

Regards
Pioneer

I meant They are already designing and developing too many new airframes at once, both military and commercial, to be able to easily accommodate the needs imposed by trying to design yet another?

but all these new planes are not designed by a single firm, thus potentially stretching the resources. Most of them are designed by different firms which all have a long tradition and their own R&D teams, own engineers and production lines.

Chengdu has new j20 and is finishing up working on a j10 variant. They are sharing Soar Eagle UAV with Guizhou and are working on Pterodactyl uav and Soaring dragon uav.
Shenyang has just started new j31 and is working on two flanker variants, finishing up on one of them. Perhaps working on an ucav, but that is a rumor for now.
Xian has finished the h6k variant and is now working on y20. Perhaps working on jh7 variant, but that is still a rumor.
Shaanxi has only y8 variants of which most are already developed. Only two unfinished variants would be y9 and this MPA/ASW variant.
Hongdu is developing L15 trainer.
Guizhou has pretty much finished with JL9 trainer and is now pursuing various subversions of it and is now finishing up on wz2000 uav, plus its share of work on Soar Eagle.

Confirmed ... the first two operational Y-8Qs entered service within the 9. Naval Division together - and that's another surprise to me - with two KJ-500H.

Deino

Attachments

• KJ-500H 8509x + Y-8Q 8519x - 9. NDiv - 26.4.15.jpg
    KJ-500H 8509x + Y-8Q 8519x - 9. NDiv - 26.4.15.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 62