Tu-114 with NK8 jet engines?

Tu.114

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have stumbled upon mentions of a planned variant of the Tu-114 turboprop airliner equipped with 6 Kusnetsov NK-8 engines instead of the four NK-12 turboprops. It seems to have been rather quickly rejected and the Ilyushin 62 selected instead as main long-range airliner.

Does anybody maybe have links or any other pointers to a drawing, a three-side view or anything else on this concept? Where were the engines to be mounted; in the wing roots like on several other contemporary Soviet designs or in triplets on the tail?

Thank You in advance!

My main curiosity about this project is why the re-engine for long range flight? Wouldn't the NK-12 have superior fuel economy?

Avimimus said:
My main curiosity about this project is why the re-engine for long range flight? Wouldn't the NK-12 have superior fuel economy?

Reengined to be a jet and faster, I imagine. Tu-114 already had good range, it would have sacrificed some range for speed.

Hi,

as I know the Tupolev Tu-114 was powered by six NK-8 turofan engines and not
four.

Hi,

as I know the Tupolev Tu-114 was powered by six NK-8 turofan engines and not
four.
The proposed Tu-114 variant with six NK-8 turbofans is mentioned on page 229 of the book OKB Tupolev: A History of the Design Bureau and its Aircraft as an alternative to the Il-62 in the event that the Il-62 proved unsuccessful.

Tupolev's proposal for what became the A-50 was a jet-powered version of the Tu-126 platform IIRC, which makes it essentially a jet-powered Tu-114, of course. It had what appear to be 4 D-30s in podded under-wing nacelles, but as this was a much later development it is unlikely to be indicative of the engine configuration of this earlier version.

Last edited: