Register here

Author Topic: BAE Systems LHD  (Read 12499 times)

Offline RP1

• CLEARANCE: Secret
  • I see the truth in it.
    • RP1 dot net
Re: BAE Systems LHD
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2016, 03:55:43 am »
The larger image hint at two flight deck lifts - one amidships and one aft - or more specifically, the warning markings one would expect around them. I *think* the image I saw had an aft lift.
"Just your standard-issue big gun."
- Batou, Ghost in the Shell

http://rp-one.net/

Offline TomS

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2016, 04:19:22 am »

It has 6 helicopter spots, but has it got a hangar ?

The PDF data sheet is clearer.  It says there is hangar space for six helicopters and two elevators to bring aircraft from the hangar to the flight deck.

Offline Grey Havoc

• _ \\ //
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2016, 04:33:32 am »
Here's a working link for the BAe Systems LHD design:

http://www.baesystems.com/en/product/amphibious-vessels

It would appear that they are once again actively marketing the design.
To the Stars

Online JFC Fuller

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2017, 03:10:54 am »
Firstly, a couple of programme designations: LPH(R) which accords with the system used by the RN in the 1990s and then LPH-Replacement Capability which seems to have been the woking designation in the early 2000s. The original idea seems to have been a straight Ocean replacement but that later concepts were much larger and took into account the possibility of replacing the capability offered by Bulwark and Albion.That would accord with the 35,000 tonne ship RLBH recalled previously. Studies apparently started in 2003.

Additionally, I found another image of the current BAE offering:
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 11:21:39 am by JFC Fuller »

Offline RLBH

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2017, 11:20:56 pm »
Firstly, a couple of programme designations: LPH(R) which accords with the system used by the RN in the 1990s and then LPH-Replacement Capability which seems to have been the woking designation in the early 2000s. The original idea seems to have been a straight Ocean replacement but that later concepts were much larger and took into account the possibility of replacing the capability offered by Bulwark and Albion. That would accord with the 35,000 tonne ship RLBH recalled previously. Studies apparently started in 2003.
That's precisely right - it was a very interesting ship, and AFAIK the data sheet I used to have was the only information ever made public. Incidentally, I also had information on a modified BAY class with a permanent hangar for four Merlin-type helicopters.

Online JFC Fuller

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2017, 07:02:21 am »
It is unsurprising to hear that there is a design for a modified bay class, not including a hangar into the ships seems to have been a source of significant regret.

I would love to see any additional data that exists on the larger LHD design.