Register here

Author Topic: NASA Space Launch System (SLS)  (Read 69207 times)

Offline Byeman

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: NASA Space Launch System (SLS)
« Reply #255 on: March 29, 2017, 03:25:06 pm »

Gosh, if only there were possibilities beyond chemical and electric . If only...

In the context of this discussion, there isn't any.   Because if there is a new physics discovery or game changing technology, it is likely that the financial resources of gov'ts are not needed.

Offline Byeman

« Reply #256 on: March 29, 2017, 03:29:53 pm »
There are some civilizations that reasonable people should be able to agree we don't want owning the stars.

Like citizens of Idaho, Montana and Utah.

Offline sferrin

« Reply #257 on: March 29, 2017, 04:39:24 pm »
There are some civilizations that reasonable people should be able to agree we don't want owning the stars.

Like citizens of Idaho, Montana and Utah.

Clearly you've never lived there.  No doubt your perpetually sunny disposition is due to the Utopian surroundings you dwell in. 
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 04:46:38 pm by sferrin »
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline Orionblamblam

• Secret Projects Guru
  • Top Contributor
    • Aerospace Projects Review
« Reply #258 on: March 29, 2017, 07:43:18 pm »

Gosh, if only there were possibilities beyond chemical and electric . If only...

In the context of this discussion, there isn't any.   Because if there is a new physics discovery or game changing technology, it is likely that the financial resources of gov'ts are not needed.

Does this make sense to you? Really?

Kinda curious if that makes sense to anyone else, because it sure doesn't to me. How can anyone actually believe that colonists on Mars or in the asteroid belt, whose lives and the futures of their children, will somehow restrict themselves solely to chemical or electrical propulsion systems, when they already have full knowledge of nuclear thermal systems, solar sails, magsails, electromagnetic coilguns, plasma thrusters and a whole bunch of other, better systems? Never mind more theoretical systems like nuclear pulse, fusion rockets and such?
Aerospace Projects Review

And so the endless circle of life comes to an end, meaningless and grim. Why did they live, and why did they die? No reason. Two hundred million years of evolution snuffed out, for in the end Nature is horrific and teaches us nothing

Offline Byeman

« Reply #259 on: April 04, 2017, 06:34:18 am »
when they already have full knowledge of nuclear thermal systems, solar sails, magsails, electromagnetic coilguns, plasma thrusters and a whole bunch of other, better systems?

Really?  How are any of those better?  None of those are going to radically change the time of travel.  Still going to take months.

Offline Rhinocrates

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
« Reply #260 on: April 04, 2017, 04:36:56 pm »
Time is not the only criterion. Some could drastically lower the cost of cargo transport.
If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink.

Offline bobbymike

« Reply #261 on: April 12, 2017, 09:57:13 pm »

Kinda curious if that makes sense to anyone else, because it sure doesn't to me. How can anyone actually believe that colonists on Mars or in the asteroid belt, whose lives and the futures of their children, will somehow restrict themselves solely to chemical or electrical propulsion systems, when they already have full knowledge of nuclear thermal systems, solar sails, magsails, electromagnetic coilguns, plasma thrusters and a whole bunch of other, better systems? Never mind more theoretical systems like nuclear pulse, fusion rockets and such?
http://www.nextbigfuture.com/2017/04/fusion-enabled-pluto-orbiter-and-lander.html

http://www.nextbigfuture.com/2017/04/imploding-liner-fusion-propulsion-system.html
"The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection." - Thomas Paine

"On what principle is it that with nothing but improvement behind us, we are to expect nothing but deterioration before us?" - Lord Macaulay

Offline Byeman

« Reply #262 on: April 13, 2017, 08:13:04 am »

http://www.nextbigfuture.com/2017/04/fusion-enabled-pluto-orbiter-and-lander.html

http://www.nextbigfuture.com/2017/04/imploding-liner-fusion-propulsion-system.html

The list of theoretical systems is much larger and just as useless.  Until they get off the list, they don't help with colonization. 

Offline Byeman

« Reply #263 on: April 13, 2017, 08:15:53 am »
Time is not the only criterion. Some could drastically lower the cost of cargo transport.

Time is the issue for personnel transport.   

Offline Rhinocrates

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
« Reply #264 on: April 13, 2017, 06:04:13 pm »

Time is the issue for personnel transport.

For personnel, yes, but personnel need material support and a crewed spacecraft can be smaller, less massive, faster and therefore cheaper if the equipment and and supplies are sent ahead separately by slower but much less expensive means. Cost is one thing that cannot be left out of the equation.
If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink.

Offline Grey Havoc

• _ \\ //
To the Stars

Offline sferrin

« Reply #266 on: April 28, 2017, 07:44:09 am »
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline FighterJock

« Reply #267 on: April 28, 2017, 11:01:09 am »
Two years until the first SLS launches, I wonder what the hold up is?  Hope it is nothing major.

Offline blackstar

« Reply #268 on: April 28, 2017, 12:47:55 pm »
Two years until the first SLS launches, I wonder what the hold up is?  Hope it is nothing major.

Read the GAO report.

Offline Michel Van

« Reply #269 on: April 28, 2017, 02:12:59 pm »

NASA aim for 2019 launch, but is not sure even about that !

Some of delay in short form

The NASA plant in New Orleans was hit by storm and was Damage, during repairs on building, work on SLS core was interrupted.
They redo welding on the core stage after inspection revealed low weld strengths.
If the Core can be deliver to KSC for testing in September 2017 is questionable

Orion capsule has delays because modification to systems and Heat shield after December 2014 test flight.
Airbus again has delays in Orion Service Module (former ATV) do underestimating the time and effort necessary to adapt the design.
Airbus will deliver Orion Service Module only in August 2017 to Lockheed facility
what make Orion ready for KSC transport not before August 2018 and delaying launch readiness testing to be ready in November 2018.
Next to that has Lockheed issue with some hardware and the Software on Orion spacecraft.

Missing needed Spacesuits for Orion Spacecraft.
after spending 200 million dollar on Space suits R&D NASA has no space suit ready for Orion spacecraft.
all they got are 18 old Shuttle spacesuits were 11 are operational and they unusable for Orion spacecraft
the JSC space suits will be not ready before 2020 or 2024.

One moment why i mention spacesuits for EM-1 flight ?
now at NASA some in Administration proposed to make 2019 EM-1 a Manned Flight !

Source
new schedule 2019
http://spacenews.com/nasa-plans-to-delay-first-slsorion-mission-to-2019/

Space Suits issues
https://www.seeker.com/space/exploration/nasas-200m-spacesuit-problem-threatens-its-deep-space-exploration-plans

EM-1 manned
http://www.popularmechanics.com/space/rockets/a25232/nasa-considers-astronauts-sls-launch/

« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 09:44:51 am by Michel Van »
I love Strange Technology