jzichek

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
New two-part Dutch book on the Fokker G-1, one of my favorite aircraft:

large-121-1.jpg

http://www.lanasta.nl/Shop/product/121/fokker-g1.html

Looks like the definitive work on this classic twin boomer; if any Dutch forum members can give more insight into this book, it would be much appreciated!

-Jared

Hi Jared,

I'm not Dutch, but if the publisher's previous title on the Fokker C.V (I have it) is an indication of what we might expect from the forthcoming books on the G.1 and D.XXI, it will be something astonishing. The only con for most people outside of the Netherlands (or the Flemish part of Belgium) is the full Dutch text - at least, supposing they will follow the same general layout from the C.V book. Well, you have a short (very short indeed) English language summary at the end. The printing quality, paper and photo reproduction are something to behold, and place it definitely at the art book level.
Ah, I almost forgot to add one detail: the Fokker C.V title is a two part affair, with the second tome devoted to foreign use of the type.
Cheers,

HN

Hello jzichek,

Herewith some info about this coming book. Part 1 (published the 27th of August) describes the design, development and construction of the Fokker G-1 (Hispano-Suiza, Wasp and Mercury), also at the Werkspoor waggon factory. Further, the customers from abroad, the different sub-types and the development plans of the G-2 and G-3. It contains 248 pages, many photographs and some colour drawings. Many illustrations about parts of the plane. The armament is described thoroughly. An overview of the differences between the types is given in a table. The language is Dutch, but the texts near the pictures is also in English. Much official information (from Fokker, the Government, archives abroad) has been gathered during 18 years; a team of four editors needed seven years in total to write it. Much information and many photographs have never been published before. :D
Best regards,
FokkerG-1

Sounds exceptional! Definitely on my want list; thank you for posting details of the book, FokkerG-1.

Fokker G.2 was supposed to be powered by DB600, any idea what G.3 would had been?

I just received my copy. To fully appreciate this book, you'll need to learn Dutch. Image captions are in Dutch and English, but they barely hint at the effort that has gone into this book. Which brings me to the good news: the depth of the research that has gone into this book, and the way this has been captured in the images and text. This, volume 1, deals with development, construction and presenting the G-1 to various interested countries, reconnaissance-, bomber- and dive-bomber-variants, and what would followed after the G-1 if WW II had not intervened. The story is accompanied by artist's impressions of unbuilt designs by Jan Broos, as well as construction details by the same artist. Some colour profiles and much contemporary artwork are also provided. Up till now I've had to make do with the concise Profile by Bart van der Klauw as a reference for thr G-1; this book gives lavish treatment of its subject.

Loved it. Looking forward to volume 2.

Received my copy today - ordered direct from the publisher, took about 5 weeks to arrive here in California. Outstanding book, well worth purchasing if you are interested in this aircraft. Can't wait for Volume 2!

To p51mustang: Sorry for the late answer. As far as we know, the G-3 would have been fitted with Bristol Taurus which would have given a top speed of 540 km/h. :)
For the G-2 (CG-2 as it was called first) Fokker had received an order from the Dutch Government. Fokker was busy ordering the materials. Some airscrews had been delivered when WWII broke out and the project was rejected. As you can see, for G-2 and G-3 the double tailboom design was abandoned, mainly because of the poor reach of the tail gunner (G-1). To solve this problem, Fokker had made a new design for the Netherlands East Indies (completely in metal) with guns in a cupola or so on the back in Ontwerp 156 (may be a bit like the Black Widow). Schets 2061 of the armament was mentioned in a letter from Fokker, but the sketch has (apparently) been destroyed. Question: In a telegram which was sent by Anthony Fokker himself from USA to the factory in Amsterdam, NL he asks to send drawings of the G-1 to USA. I am curious of some of them could be found somewhere in archives, for example the archives of North-American, Noorduyn, Rockwell or Boeing Historical Archive. Some help in this matter would be appreciated very much! Thanks, best regards, Fokker G-1

p51mustang,
Thank you very much for your interesting finding! I have never seen an original blueprint of the G-2! Very nice! And somewhere in NL too. Since 18 years I do research for the Fokker G-1, but the original drawings were destroyed for a great part. Any original G-1 drawing (or part, of course...) would be a treasure for me, as we try to redesign the plane for flying condition. A horrible but nice job, indeed! Somewhere in the world there should and could be drawings of the plane as for example, Fokker wanted to start a factory in Canada for building fighters. Denmark bought a licence to build G-1's, and also France did. So they ever received construction plans too, but until now we did not manage to find them! :(

Best regards,
Fokker G-1

p51mustang said:
No worries on late answers, I really liked your detailed answer.

I found this thread from google, it has interesting drawings and pictures. Unfortunately it is in Dutch.

752d1252391541-vreemde-fokker-g-1-dscf0035.jpg

http://www.nederlandseluchtvaart.nl/forums/f13-fokker/vreemde-fokker-g-1-a-8837/

Translation:
This is the Fokker G-2 the Bomber version of the G-1
it only exist as drawings, the blueprint is from archive of Henk Hamers, in his time engineering draughtsman at Fokker
he had big part on the drawings for G-1 and copy illegal them for personal use.
His archive is now on Hoogeveen airport
http://www.vliegveldhoogeveen.nl/pages/whiterings_indexpag.html

Fokker G-1,

I think I saw your website? Is it the one with CAD drawings and pics of control column made? It is impressive work for even more impressive goal. My Fokker G1s will be 72 times smaller in all 3 dimensions :) It will be awesome to see that bird fly or even taxi again.

As for G2, it looked like it was to have Merlins, cowlings do look like the ones in Whitley. But then this could be a raw drawing and I am sure Fokker thought about alternative engines for the international market it was seeking to penetrate.

Arjen,

Thanks for posting the details of the book, I think I'll be waiting for English version.

"Unfortunately it is in Dutch" expresses disappointment, on a rare book printed only in Dutch, for aviation enthusiasts like myself who can not read or speak Dutch . There is nothing unfortunate about me not speaking Dutch, Polish, German, Czech nor Japanese nor others for various Aj Press/Militaria/Kagero/FAOW etc books.

It is unfortunate for the publishers and authors that they don't realize the full potential of their product. I am sure international enthusiasts who pay $80 on a MPM Fokker G1 on EBAY would easily pay $30 for this book? :)

After all, the most spoken language in the world is English with thick accent! :)

I'm well pleased my compatriots have taken the trouble to invest so much of their time in this book. The same publisher also has plans for a Dutch translation of the Fokker D.21 book by Peter de Jong, published in French by Lela Presse in 2005. Due sometime this year, I gather.

Hawker Nut said:
...if the publisher's previous title on the Fokker C.V (I have it) is an indication of what we might expect from the forthcoming books on the G.1 and D.XXI, it will be something astonishing.
... The printing quality, paper and photo reproduction are something to behold, and place it definitely at the art book level.
Ah, I almost forgot to add one detail: the Fokker C.V title is a two part affair, with the second tome devoted to foreign use of the type.
Cheers,

HN
Fully agree on the C.5 book.

Dutch has a wonderful culture including their language. They lead the Europe in liberalism, arts, science and openmindedness for centuries. You won't get any arguments from me there :)

However, learning Dutch to read a few books will violate "The Law of Dimishing Return" as we call it in engineering. I'd rather learn Chinese, Russian or Indian, make more money , retire early and revisit my models that serve me as box collection at the moment. :)))
For the record, I am bilingual; Turkish , English and I am also very good with math and physics which I consider the language of the nature.

English is the common language of information exchange and globalization, it is that simple.

As for publishing a narrow focused book for enthusiasts, I think publishers like Kagero / Aj Press has clearly showed the advantages of printing books in English as well as the native language. Most hobby shops carry their books in US, UK and Canada; a market 20 times or more of the size of Dutch market. The more books they sell, the more money they make and the more obscure subjects will come to print. Then we all win.

There are quite a lot motivated buyers outside Holland ready to buy their product and yet they can not provide. Therefore, it is their problem not mine. I stand by my statement with a little modification based on your feedback about Dutch desire to read in Dutch.

"unfortunately only in Dutch"

Dear collegues,
I'm glad with all your remarks. Of course we realize very well that there could be a market for our book when it is in English language, therefore we did the photo captions in English to start with and to taste the market. We know that there are a lot of modellers worldwide that like the Fokker G-1 very much. On the other hand, because the G-1 is a very much liked plane in NL, we started in Dutch and not in English. The Dutch deserve that! (In our feeling, the G-1 is for us a bit like the Spitfire for the UK). At this moment, we are very busy with part 2, the operational history. After the publication, we can start thinking of a translation in English. But.... Stichting Fokker G-1 exists only by doing things in free time (not commercial) and we are not very rich indeed. To let translate the book in English in a professional way, costs lots of money and the result may be a disaster because of the many aircraft terms in it. To translate this book without faults is a very difficult job. The best thing will be to find someone who is bilingual but English born and who is very well able to understand Dutch and is such a hobbyist that he will do the job for the honour -not for the money. As we do ourselves too. May be we can reach once the phase of building the plane. But first: Part 2 in Dutch and may be then Part 1 & Part 2 in English. Of course, only if you all buy the books! ;) :)
Best regards, Fokker G-1
BTW The D-21 book is the next book to be published, very soon!

Well said!

I hope your book will find large number of enthusiasts in Holland and abroad. I have read a lot of very positive reader remarks already. And you may have the perfect timiong since AZ Models listed Fokker G-1 as future release in 1/48.

If I may suggest as an alternative thought; don't try to be too perfect and professional in your English version. Kagero and AJ Press sold very well with even poorly edited English versions. Your English seems more than enough. Your reader market is somewhat different than average book reader, they care about content and details and easily ignore lack of perfect English.

Best of luck and we are eagerly awating the English version :)

Strangely appeared problems for ebook version : pdf version were not ready !
After one week i have received my pdf's ! :)
:):)

Last edited: