Jet helicopter projects from the mid-1950s

boxkite

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
With a little help from 'mechan' I'm now the owner of the MacDonald book The Jet Aircraft of the World by William Green & Roy Cross from 1955. (Btw, 'lark' wrote me about a 2nd(?) edition printed a year later by another publisher.) It has a Jet Helicopters chapter with several entries unknown to me. I've checked them against possible facts in the SPF and Google, but without success. Here are the short, but complete quotes from the book.

France:
* S.N.C.A.S.O./Lepere (gas drive). Now under development by S.N.C.A.S.O. this prototype is to the design of Lepere and is the first making use of co-axial ducts along the blade for "cold" compressor air and "hot" exhaust gases from the engine. [Surely a later well-known design at an early stage without model number, but which one?]

UK:
* King Aircraft Corporation (tip drive). This Scottish company has been reported as having under development an ultra-light helicopter with King ramjets at the rotor tips.

USA:
* Rotor-Jets RJ-1 (tip drive). This was a small test vehicle built in 1947 to study tip power applied to helicopters. It featured a single, counter-balanced rotor blade of 8.5 ft. radius, with a ramjet at the tip.

* Jervis Baby J (tip drive). A single-seat "test stand" prototype, with Jervis pulse jets at the rotor tips. Jervis has also developed a larger valveless pulse jet for later use.

* Douglas project (shaft drive). This company is developing a fifty-passenger helicopter as a DC-3 replacement type. Engines may be two Rolls-Royce RB 109 turboprop variants. [I believe this is either the patent shown here -> http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,898.msg20402.html#msg20402 (too early), nor the compound helicopter from AIR PROGRESS - Spring 1962, page 40 (too late).]

Is anybody able to add the further development story of the designs or can post illustrations?

Thanks a lot.

Boxkite

boxkite said:
... [/u][/size][/font]* S.N.C.A.S.O./Lepere (gas drive). Now under development by S.N.C.A.S.O. this prototype is to the design of Lepere and is the first making use of co-axial ducts along the blade for "cold" compressor air and "hot" exhaust gases from the engine. [Surely a later well-known design at an early stage without model number, but which one?]

Lepere presumably refers to former Lioré et Olivier chief engineer, Georges Lepère (responsible for Weymann-Lepère C.18, WEL-10 R2, LeO 30, Westland-Cierva CL-20, etc.)

Could the S.N.C.A.S.O./Lepere refer to the S.O. 1100 Ariel line leading to the Djinn?

boxkite said:
* Jervis Baby J (tip drive). A single-seat "test stand" prototype, with Jervis pulse jets at the rotor tips. Jervis has also developed a larger valveless pulse jet for later use.

http://stingraysrotorforum.activeboard.com/t43702770/jervis-baby-j/

From a document emailed to me by forum member Walter:

JERVIS BABY J
BAHAMAS (1954)

single-seat helicopter
two Jervis pulsejets
DETAILS: This very light helicopter was first tested during 1954. The Baby J was designed and built by Mr. Jervis. The aircraft was mainly intended for tests with the pulsejet propulsion system and only a single example was built, which was Bahamas first and so far only indigenous aircraft design.
Production: 1

Is origin USA?

Attachments

• BABY J.png
    BABY J.png
    282.2 KB · Views: 616
boxkite said:

France:
* S.N.C.A.S.O./Lepere (gas drive). Now under development by S.N.C.A.S.O. this prototype is to the design of Lepere and is the first making use of co-axial ducts along the blade for "cold" compressor air and "hot" exhaust gases from the engine. [Surely a later well-known design at an early stage without model number, but which one?]

Boxkite

My dear Boxkite,

I just see this topic,for Lepere,in 1956 he designed with SNCASO the L.30,it was
three seat autogyro fitted with 145 hp (108 kw) Continental engine,project only.

And for Douglas,as you said; may be it was that patent;
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,4074.msg20402.html#msg20402

Attachments

• Douglas.JPG
    Douglas.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 409
hesham said:
boxkite said:

France:

Boxkite

My dear Boxkite,

I just see this topic,for Lepere,in 1956 he designed with SNCASO the L.30,it was
three seat autogyro fitted with 145 hp (108 kw) Continental engine,project only.

If we know that,the Helicop-Air Girhel L.50 helicopter was the completing of the
sequence for Lepère (CL.10,CL.20,L.30 & L.50),definitely there was L.40,right ?.

From A-Z magazine.

Attachments

• ٢٠١٩١١١٤_١٣٥٩٢٤.jpg
    ٢٠١٩١١١٤_١٣٥٩٢٤.jpg
    498.4 KB · Views: 107
With a little help from 'mechan' I'm now the owner of the MacDonald book The Jet Aircraft of the World by William Green & Roy Cross from 1955. (Btw, 'lark' wrote me about a 2nd(?) edition printed a year later by another publisher.) It has a Jet Helicopters chapter with several entries unknown to me. I've checked them against possible facts in the SPF and Google, but without success. Here are the short, but complete quotes from the book.

France:

UK:
* King Aircraft Corporation (tip drive). This Scottish company has been reported as having under development an ultra-light helicopter with King ramjets at the rotor tips.

USA:
* Rotor-Jets RJ-1 (tip drive). This was a small test vehicle built in 1947 to study tip power applied to helicopters. It featured a single, counter-balanced rotor blade of 8.5 ft. radius, with a ramjet at the tip.

* Douglas project (shaft drive). This company is developing a fifty-passenger helicopter as a DC-3 replacement type. Engines may be two Rolls-Royce RB 109 turboprop variants. [I believe this is either the patent shown here -> http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,898.msg20402.html#msg20402 (too early), nor the compound helicopter from AIR PROGRESS - Spring 1962, page 40 (too late).]

Is anybody able to add the further development story of the designs or can post illustrations?

Thanks a lot.

Boxkite
Sir Boxkite, what can you tell me about this baby? Thank you for your time! Kevin

Attachments

• helicopter ramjet.JPG
    helicopter ramjet.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 74

France:

UK:

USA:

Thanks a lot.

Boxkite
Sir Boxkite, what can you tell me about this baby? Thank you for your time! Kevin
I have to add...looking at the schematic of the engine that the flameholder appears frightfully far from the front of the engine (leaving it very close to the nozzle.) I can only imagine howmuch fuel is burning (being wasted) outside of the combustion chamber. Compare to the Hiller below and the difference is truely stark. Kevin

Attachments

• US2740482-drawings-page-1.png
    US2740482-drawings-page-1.png
    76.7 KB · Views: 61
From, Helicopters & Autogyros of the World.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    140.5 KB · Views: 41
From Aeroplane 1955,

what was Lepere LP.10 helicopter ?.

Attachments

• 11.png
    11.png
    361.9 KB · Views: 16
From Aeroplane 1955,

for Jervis Baby.