TARKR (Kirov) Replacement/ Augmentation studies

Grey Havoc

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
I'm putting this here rather than Military or Naval projects because there is currently little or no hard information available about this subject. Basically this topic is a clearing house for any information (including RUMINT) that becomes available about designs and/or related studies to replace or at least augment the Kirov Class Battlecruisers, past or current.

Via the Russian Navy thread [Navy & Maritime] over on Defensetalk:

http://www.rusnavy.com/news/navy/index.php?ELEMENT_ID=14350

:-\

http://rt.com/news/russian-space-defense-ocean-053/

Russia is developing a sea-based missile- and space-defense system, which will be deployed in international waters. The system is expected to become an integral part of the Russian Navy.

The construction of the new sea-based missile-defense system has been entrusted to Almaz-Antey, the arms manufacturer that also produces the S-400 ‘Triumph’ missile defense system.

Anatoly Shlemov, the head of national defense orders for Russia’s United Shipbuilding Corporation, told RIA Novosti that “this task has been definitely set for the [Russian] military-industrial complex.”

Almaz-Antey is not working alone on the planned system, Shelmov said, without specifying additional details about the top-secret project.

At the St. Petersburg Economic Forum earlier this year, President Roman Trotsenko of the United Shipbuilding Corporation announced that the USC would begin construction in 2016 of a series of six nuclear-powered destroyers armed with high-tech missile- and space- defense system.

Trotsenko called the warships “benchmarks of Russian space defense in the World Ocean,” but refused to comment further on the plans.

As it begins introducing the new S-400 system, Almaz-Antey is also finishing its S-500 ‘Prometheus’ system, which features space-defense capabilities. The S-500 is expected to be deployed in 2017, and will most likely arm the destroyers in project.

It would be interesting to see if this new destroyer class has any relationship to the old Project 11990 design.

index.php

[h/t Angel]

snake65 said:
Picture labeled 11990 is Anchar DDGN, version with combined nuclear and gas turbine powertrain. Project 13040 has no relation to Anchar, it's a different project of Soviet experimental ship of modular design. Official soviet name is OUK - evaluation and training ship. The drawing looks like a crude side view of Anchar CONAG version.

http://www.defencetalk.com/forums/navy-maritime/russian-navy-discussions-updates-8178-42/#post259246

Some info on the new destroyer project. It will be a Moskva-sized ship (in other words displacement of ~12 000 tons) and will be a universal ship serving both as an AShM carrier, ASW, and AAW. It will even carry anti-missile systems (and by this I think they mean ship-mounted BMD) on the basis of the S-500. The primary purpose of this ship will be to protect the Mistral class and future aircraft carriers on long range expeditions.

Lenta.ru:

Severnaya and Baltiyskiy Zavod are expected to produce a series of 6 of these ships, with the first to be laid down in 2016. The design is being done by KB Severnoe.

Grey Havoc said:
http://www.defencetalk.com/forums/navy-maritime/russian-navy-discussions-updates-8178-42/#post259246

Some info on the new destroyer project. It will be a Moskva-sized ship (in other words displacement of ~12 000 tons) and will be a universal ship serving both as an AShM carrier, ASW, and AAW. It will even carry anti-missile systems (and by this I think they mean ship-mounted BMD) on the basis of the S-500. The primary purpose of this ship will be to protect the Mistral class and future aircraft carriers on long range expeditions.

Lenta.ru:

Severnaya and Baltiyskiy Zavod are expected to produce a series of 6 of these ships, with the first to be laid down in 2016. The design is being done by KB Severnoe.

So, they're redoing Anchar?

http://russiamil.wordpress.com/2013/07/15/alternative-designs-for-the-new-russian-destroyer/

Triton said:
Frame grabs of the Russian cruiser concept shown earlier in the video. I'm certain we had a topic devoted to a Russian Federation Kirov-class battlecruiser replacement program, but for the life of me, I can't seem to find it.

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

blackstar said:
My Carrier4 picture is actually of the cruiser model, not the carrier, but I'll leave it there. One thing is missing from the video is a good panning shot of the entire model.

index.php

At the turn of the century a repair/modernization of the first Kirov was allegedly started but cancelled, I don't know any specs or if it would have been a modernization in more than name, so would like to know more about this.

In addition, any changes to what would have been the 5th Kirov are unknown to me, I recall she got her own decimal point in the 1144 project.