HyperMach SonicStar SSBJ

Hypermach? Sounds like Homer Simpson's internet start up Hyperglobalmeganet :D

I'd suspect it's an EADS related project, but I could be wrong.

It is a British project for sure, it is where their web site has been designed and is hosted.
LO, I suspect you are guessing correctly.
--Luc

HYPERMACH
16 chemin de la Marnière
31140MONBERON
Phone 06 33 82 69 03
Fax
Web

Informations

Turnover in Euros
Export Turnover
Workforce

Rousset Bernard
Phone

Hypermach Bernard Rousset bernard.hypermach@gmail.com
06 33 82 69 03 16 chemin de la Marnière 31140 MONBERON

Rousset, Bernard (Engineer's Degree, 1994-12-06; Advisor: Hornung)
Calibration and study of the contoured nozzle of the T5 free-piston hypervelocity shock tunnel

Probing helium interfaces with light scattering: from fluid mechanics to statistical physics.
by Pierre-Etienne Wolf, Fabien Bonnet, Sylvain Perraud, Laurent Puech, Bernard Rousset, Pierre Thibault

The next generation of Supersonic Business Jet, by HyperMach
The next generation of Supersonic Business Jet, by HyperMach - Bernard ROUSSET - Chief Technology Officer & EMEA Director
http://www.comsurtec.com/telechargement/Conferences_AEROLIANCE.pdf

Domain Name: HYPERMACH.BIZ
Domain ID: D44584762-BIZ
Sponsoring Registrar: 1&1 INTERNET AG
Sponsoring Registrar IANA ID: 83
Registrar URL (registration services): whois.schlund.de
Domain Status: ok
Registrant ID: SPAG-40722643
Registrant Name: Bernard Rousset
Registrant Address1: 16 Chemin de la Marniere
Registrant City: Montberon
Registrant Postal Code: 31140
Registrant Country: France
Registrant Country Code: FR
Registrant Phone Number: +33.561097715
Registrant Email:

<NOM>ROUSSET</NOM>
<PRENOM>Bernard</PRENOM>
<ORGANISME>CEA</ORGANISME>
<LABORATOIRE>DSM/INAC/SBT</LABORATOIRE>
<ADRESSE>CEA/Grenoble Service des Basses Températures Groupe Cryoréfrigérateurs et Cryogénie Spatiale 17, rue de Martyrs 38 054 Grenoble Cedex 09</ADRESSE>
<TELEPHONE>85959</TELEPHONE>
<MAIL>bernard.rousset@cea.fr</MAIL>

QHESCT- Quiet Hybrid Electric Supersonic Civil Transport.

....design speed of Mach 3.5 at a 80,000 feet service ceiling.
....may have a payload-range of 70,000 lb fuel load, 15,000 lb passenger and cargo load at 6500 NM.
....20 passengers and a crew of four.

Very interesting.

Unveiled next week? Wait, what? Are we talking about a mock-up? A model? Surely there isn't going to be a fully-functional Mach 3.5 aircraft?! :eek: Surely I've misunderstood?

The project will be unveiled, with probably nice computer renderings and maybe a model.
Not the aircraft itself of course.
--Luc

It all seems like a bit of a reach... Unless what they unveil is more modest than the patent.

(But then again, a Mach 3.3-cruise reduced-RCS airplane was a bit of a reach in 1959.)

Richard Lugg (CEO of Hypertech and engine company SonicBlue Aerospace) explaining his hybrid engines...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEyvpYppF_c

guys had some weird ideas for a while

AW_02_20_2006_819_L.jpg

ats29983_RR-hybrid.jpg

Sonic Blue Aerospace Patent List

the cat is out bag

SonicStar, very high supersonic business jet with quiet hybrid Electric turbine propulsion systems

SonicBlue vision is the development of revolutionary engine design to fundamentally change the way aero gas-turbine engines operate in order to significantly improve the performance of aircraft systems.

• Hybrid engine technology developed to offer a highly efficient, supersonic, variable bypass fan ratio engine design.
  • The engine operates electrically by generating a large amount of on-board electric power through its superconducting electric turbine ring generator system.
  • Engine produces sufficient power to operate the multi-stage counter rotating, superconducting, dual ring motor electric bypass fans and superconducting electric ring motor axial compressor, power generation and thrust comes from 5-stage superconducting axial turbine.
  • The 54,700 thrust class S-MAGJET engine (two engines) described is optimized to fly the HyperMach SonicStar aircraft at 62,000 ft, at a specific fuel consumption below 1.05 at Mach 3.3, this performance will be unprecedented and will welcome in a new era of the future of aerospace transport.
  • Electrical generation is provided by superconducting ring generators that are powered by the high velocity exhaust thrust from the combustor section of the engine.
  • The bypass fan is a twin fan system in which one fan counter rotates with the other fan, which reduces aerodynamic swirl and drag.
  • The bypass fan configuration is not constrained by a drive shaft, heavy gears and complex gear boxes, nor complex lubrication systems and it can be run at an optimal rotational speed so as to maximize its efficiency at any aircraft velocity, or altitude
  • The bypass fans running independently from the compressor can be run at much slower speeds than the compressor, this means a more efficient RPM for the fan blade design of the S-MAGJET, a low bypass fan supersonic engine design.
  • Lower operating RPM speeds afford the use of wider blades, raising aerodynamic efficiency and thrust per horsepower, making the engine architecture greatly more efficient than the current art of engine designs.
  • Light weight superconducting ring motors with integrated cooling for the compressor do not require a drive shaft, nor the bypass fans or the superconducting ring generators of the power turbine, a “hollow-core shaftles” tunnel is left in the center of the hybrid electric turbine which now carries additional bypass air.
  • Bypass air as the major component of thrust, rather than the hot exhaust from the power turbine being utilized as thrust is a more efficient method of producing thrust for propulsion in turbines.
  • Supersonic-Magnetic Advanced Generation Jet Electric Turbine (S-MAGJET), the majority of electric power produced off the power turbine via the superconducting ring generators is directed forward through a proprietary electric power management system to run the electric bypass fans and the electric compressor.
    This electrical independence of the bypass fan from the multi-stage axial compressor raises overall efficiency of the engine by 70% alone.

Sounds very nice. Just hope they can get the supeconductors to work inside of a hot jet engine.

http://hypermach.com/

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2011/06/20/358419/paris-picture-hypermach-takes-wraps-off-sonicstar-ssbj.html

As a UK taxpayer I am interested to know how much of our money is going into this.

I looked at the patent on the FSW V/STOL aircraft by the same guy (Richard Lugg) and saw it is based on a series of misunderstood issues, so I assume this may well be the case for the SST too.

Strikes me as the business mentality of 'The Apprentice' - I have an idea, I am an entrepreneur, it WILL happen. All very Ayn Rand 'Fountainhead' -like stuff. But not good engineering. But anyone saying it is dodgy engineering-wise just 'lacks vision' I guess!

In the video above Lugg quotes Einstein to support him. Of course, Einstein got aerofoils all wrong and designed a 'wavy' one.

A 2011 patent application appears to indicate the engine uses an ionizing plasma combustor (via fuel ionization) to have a charged exhaust. The intention is to electrically charge the power turbine blades to achieve laminar flow over the blades (as a drag reduction measure) though it seems to use a high voltage discharge after the power turbine to reseed the exhaust, as it appears to use a MHD accelerator in the nozzle as a kind of electric afterburner.

ouroboros said:
A 2011 patent application appears to indicate the engine uses an ionizing plasma combustor (via fuel ionization) to have a charged exhaust. The intention is to electrically charge the power turbine blades to achieve laminar flow over the blades (as a drag reduction measure) though it seems to use a high voltage discharge after the power turbine to reseed the exhaust, as it appears to use a MHD accelerator in the nozzle as a kind of electric afterburner.

Why do I think they're going to (or have already) lose a lot of test engines?

True, with the EADS Zehst, SonicStar does has some serious competition, even if they are not aimed at the exact same market segment.

I invite visitors to see Aerospace Science and Technology Vol.12 No.7 October 2008 pages 515-523. There you can see that my published article “Preliminary study to raise axial flow compressors up to the context-awareness standards” suggests gas turbine engine that HyperMach is calling it Advanced Generation Jet Electric Turbine (S-MAGJET). Even using High Temperature Superconductors to produce suitable electric motors for the concept is suggested in the article.
I suggested the concept in 2003 and published a paper about it in 2008. I have been working the idea of Context-Aware gas turbine engine since 2000. To download the article free of charge please visit babakaryana.tripod.com

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Model-Sonicstar-supersonic-aircraft-/111022090114?pt=UK_ToysGames_ModelKits_ModelKits_JN&hash=item19d96ea782

Every now and then something happens that changes the way we experience the world forever…

From seeing man land on the moon to hearing the Beatles for the first time, human history is peppered with ‘where were you?’ moments.

With an eye to the future but feet firmly rooted in solid scientific research, HyperMach is driven by a mission to change air transportation forever.

The dream? Just imagine: Jetting out of London at 9am and arriving in LA in time for breakfast. Or being able to fly from New York to Dubai in the time it takes to watch an in-flight movie.

The development of SonicStar makes what was previously impossible a reality. Incorporating a next generation design to effectively overcome environmental and economic challenges, SonicStar combines supersonic high speed with low boom technology to revolutionise aviation and drive global economic change.

Own your own limited edition never sold before model of the Sonicstar V1. The real aircraft will be 225.67 feet in length, 74.14 feet in wingspan the model is 46cm long x 18cm high mounted on a wooden base. In original and undisturbed packaging.

Only 50 models have ever or will ever be made of version 1 as this is an evolving project. I have 25 models available - either to buy as individual items or as a package.

SonicStar related SPF thread: http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,13025.0.html

Attachments

• SonicStar1.jpg
    SonicStar1.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 62
  • SonicStar2.jpg
    SonicStar2.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 55
  • SonicStar3.jpg
    SonicStar3.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 34
  • SonicStar4.jpg
    SonicStar4.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 34
  • SonicStar5.jpg
    SonicStar5.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 33
SonicStar manufacturer's model. I'd love to see some structural drawings on this!

Note: length is 225.7ft. (vs. 202ft. for the Concorde). 10-20 passengers (vs. 100 for the Concorde).

Attachments

• Sonic Star 01.jpg
    Sonic Star 01.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 224
AFAIR they claim that cabin height 'is sufficient for transporting a racing horse'.

This makes me remember of Paulson dad and son second great hobby and again, ask myself if guys from HyperMach are not cookoo.

Transporting horses st M-4.5 is vitally important for that future market sector I guess.

flateric said:
Transporting horses at M-4.5 is vitally important for that future market sector I guess.

There was a time when horses transported people. Now people are developing hypersonic hybrid electromagnetic superconducting turbo-ramjet propulsion systems to carry horses. The British taxpayer should be pleased.

Attachments

• SonicStar on Tarmac.jpg
    SonicStar on Tarmac.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 617
flateric said:
Transporting horses st M-4.5 is vitally important for that future market sector I guess.

There are quite a few jet transports today dedicated solely to transporting horses and other livestock. A niche market maybe, but a real one.

Model can be used as perfect hidden weapon case of house intruder I think.

flateric said:
Model can be used as perfect hidden weapon case of house intruder I think.
I keep my SonicStar model well-sharpened and equipped with a Polonium-210 pitot tip, for that reason.

Attachments

• SonicStar in Flight.jpg
    SonicStar in Flight.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 528
http://hypermach.com/?page_id=66
  • Payload-Range; 75,000 lb. fuel load, 80,000 basic fuel weight, at 6000 NM.
  • Cruise Altitude; 60,000 ceiling at 12 PSI cabin pressurization
  • Cruise Speed; Mach 4.0 at 65,000 feet
  • Cruise Efficiency; 1.10 lbs. of fuel, per lb. of thrust, per hour
  • Climb Performance; 7000 FPM, constant, 10,000 FPM maximum at fuel load at 6000 NM.
  • Field Performance; At GTOW 9,980 feet to clear a 50′ obstacle, rotation at 225 Kts
  • Engine Performance; Class 4 Stage under ICAO conditions
  • Airport Noise; Category 5 airport noise as classified by EPA future aircraft environmental programs.

Attachments

• science_design_new_01.jpg
    science_design_new_01.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 38
  • hybrid engine.jpg
    hybrid engine.jpg
    392.9 KB · Views: 73
  • science-weights-new.jpg
    science-weights-new.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 563
  • press-new.jpg
    press-new.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 58
  • SonicStar-supersonic-business-jet.jpg
    SonicStar-supersonic-business-jet.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 63
  • sonicstarnewconfigweb.gif
    sonicstarnewconfigweb.gif
    89.4 KB · Views: 389
  • home-new-2.jpg
    home-new-2.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 399
  • get-involved-new.jpg
    get-involved-new.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 404
flateric said:
This makes me (...) ask myself if guys from HyperMach are not cookoo.

Maybe they should call their aircraft the Horsefly instead? ;D ;D ;D

electromagnetic drag reduction technology affording dramatic reduction/elimination of sonic boom below 0.25 lbs/sq.ft., overland Mach 4.0 cruise.
http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/dubai-air-show/2011-11-12/hypermach-now-shooting-mach-40-bizjet

The boom is eliminated using an electromagnetically induced plasma wave that “absorbs” pressure waves. “Eagle Harbor integrated [its] plasma and aerodynamic codes into the HyperMach SonicStar aerodynamic model and generated an initial simulation showing that it is possible to manage the shock wave at the bow of the aircraft,” said Lugg

Another enabling technology is the magnetic spike on the nose that creates the aforementioned plasma waves that would dampen the sonic boom.

http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/2012-11-20/hypermach-supersonic-bizjet-grows-larger-speed-boosted-mach-45

“The first engine stage produces more than 10 megawatts of power, driving the electromagnetic compressor and bypass fans,” Lugg noted. “There are four turbine stages in H-Magjet, all producing multi-megawatts of power.” This power generation is key to the electromagnetically induced plasma wave technology that “absorbs” pressure waves, which are expected to minimize or eliminate the twinjet’s sonic boom, according to Lugg.

Hi! Previous design.

Attachments

• SONICSTAR_PREVIOUS_DESIGN_3_SIDE_VIEW.jpg
    SONICSTAR_PREVIOUS_DESIGN_3_SIDE_VIEW.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 56
  • SONIC_STAR_PREVIOUS_DESIGN_PLAN_VIEW.jpg
    SONIC_STAR_PREVIOUS_DESIGN_PLAN_VIEW.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 65
  • SONICSTAR_PREVIOUS_DESIGN_SIDE_VIEW.jpg
    SONICSTAR_PREVIOUS_DESIGN_SIDE_VIEW.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 57
  • Hypermach-SonicStar-6.jpg