A.R. IV Versuchstragschrauber 193
A.R. V Versuchstragschrauber 193
P.D. 6 ( Spec. 10/39 ) Versuchshubschrauber Projekt 1938
P.D. 7 Kampfhubschrauber Projekt 1939
H. 8 " Rotachute " Rotorsegelapparat 1942
H. 9 ( Bristol Type 171 ?? ) Mehrzweckhubschrauber Projekt 1944

" Rotabuggy " Versuchtragschrauber 1942
" Rotatank " Versuchstragschrauber 194

I search for pics and drawings of the AR.III; AR.IV and AR.V.

Regards Maveric

Maveric said:
I search for pics and drawings of the AR.III; AR.IV and AR.V.

Here is the pic I have of a Hafner AR-III mk2
HafnerAR-IIIMk2Gyroplane1937.jpg

Flight Global is prolific about the A.R. III and Bristol 171

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1937/1937%20-%200696.html?search=Hafner%20A.R

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1937/1937%20-%202909.html?search=Hafner%20A.R

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1939/1939%20-%200039.html?search=Hafner%20A.R

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1937/1937%20-%202909.html?search=Hafner%20A.R

About another A.R III ,this copy from Luftsport (?) 1938 :

[/URL

Hi
This is my first post and I have a question for you all. The drawing of the 1938 Hafner is it a Short Hafner IV? I have a 3 view silhouette of Experimental Aeroplane #116 which I think is a Short Hafner IV. I don't know how to attach an image. You can see it on my flickr page. My name is airplaneguy38.
Thanks
JohnF

Edit: Picture inserted

Attachments

• 6585840363_a4f470e696.jpg
    6585840363_a4f470e696.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 205
Welcome John,

I took the liberty to insert the mentioned picture into your post, as you cannot
attach pictures, before you've reached 5 posts.
To me it's the same type as posted by richard, but according to Maverics list, it
should be the AR.IV.

BTW, the Hafner P.D.7 is in your collection, too ! ;)

Attachments

• 6440258765_e26686ea73.jpg
    6440258765_e26686ea73.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 205
Another, better three-view arrangement of the Hafner AR.IV:

Attachments

• AR.IV.gif
    AR.IV.gif
    99.6 KB · Views: 197
The Hafner PD.6 and PD.7 projects:

“[T]wo helicopter designs in preparation, the P.D.7 is an advanced one, and the smaller one, the P.D. 6, is only an experimental machine. The experimental machine is powered with a Propcher engine, and is a single-seater about the same size as the existing A.R. 3 Gyroplane, and I expect to get 150 miles an hour top speed with it, and about 1500 feet rate of climb, whereas the P.S. 7 machine will be a development from it, and we calculate the maximum speed at 210 miles per hour, which is the maximum permissible speed, because at that speed the advancing tip is already coming very dangerously near the speed of sound. It is other considerations that limit the speed, not the power itself.
The maximum rate of climb of this machine, near the ground, will be 3800 feet per minute.”

From a presentation by Raoul Hafner entitled “The Hafner Gyroplane and Helicopter”
given during a Rotating Wing Aircraft Meeting at The Franklin Institute, Philadelphia, PA, on Oct. 28-29, 1938

First set of illustrations below by J. Gordon Leishman in “The Gyroplanes, Helicopters and Convertiplanes of Raoul Hafner”
Paper presented at the American Helicopter Society Forum 61, Dallas, TX June 1-3, 2005
and reprinted in Proceedings of the American Helicopter Society Forum 61.

Comment of Picture 11 says Hafner made “meticulous calculations of the flow below the rotor [which] showed the effectiveness of using fixed aerodynamic surfaces to counter rotor torque reaction and to give directional control.”

Source: http://vtol.org/8248F800-5DFF-11E2-AB4E0050568D0042

Attachments

• PD.6 and PD.7.gif
    PD.6 and PD.7.gif
    99.3 KB · Views: 69
  • Hafner PD.6 and PD.7.gif
    Hafner PD.6 and PD.7.gif
    23.9 KB · Views: 83
The designation suffices seem to match engine types. The AR V-N was to be powered by a 425 hp Pobjoy Nile radial (Pobjoy also being intended to build the prototype AR IV and V). From that sideview drawing, I'm guessing that the AR V-G would have been Gipsy Six-powered ... although to match Nile output, a Gipsy Twelve would be more logical :confused:

Does anyone have anymore about that Pobjoy Nile engine?

The EA.115 seems to be the PD.6.

Couple of years ago a picture of R.I hit the internet, so it would be nice to store it here as well (attached).

Attachments

• s297.photobucket.com-f556.jpeg
    s297.photobucket.com-f556.jpeg
    388.8 KB · Views: 27

May looks like or developed from it,but they are not the same,in Royal
Aircraft Museum's site of UK,and from long time ago,they mentioned
both of them as a two separated designs.

May looks like or developed from it,but they are not the same,in Royal
Aircraft Museum's site of UK,and from long time ago,they mentioned
both of them as a two separated designs.
No it's the same design.
EA.115 is an abbreviation for Experimental Aircraft 115 which was the Air Ministry's code assigned for inclusion in its official recognition handbook (Air Publication AP1480).
The AR.V was assigned Experimental Aircraft 116 in the same publication.

All "Top Secret" prototypes existing around 1940-42 got these deliberately vague Experimental Aircraft designations for security purposes. They didn't want spies knowing who built them but they equally didn't want some over-eager AA gunner or fighter pilot shooting them down during a test flight either.

I can''t judge,but all I remember,the Royal site didn't put them in single entry,like this PD.6/EA.115,but they
displayed it as following,
PD.6
PD.7
EA.115

I can''t judge,but all I remember,the Royal site didn't put them in single entry,like this PD.6/EA.115,but they
displayed it as following,
PD.6
PD.7
EA.115
No, Hood is correct. There is no Royal Aircraft Museum (do you mean the Royal Air Force Museum?) so wherever you think you saw this list it was either incorrect or I'm afraid that your memory is flawed.

No, Hood is correct. There is no Royal Aircraft Museum (do you mean the Royal Air Force Museum?) so wherever you think you saw this list it was either incorrect or I'm afraid that your memory is flawed.

The EA.115 was in separated entry.

Sigh. Do we have to go over this again?
If you don't believe me and Schniederman look at the site below, it even gives you the silhouettes from the official Air Ministry recognition manual, the same silhouettes as posted in replies #5 and #6, from the same source.

I have found your list from another link you gave in another topic. It was written in 2005 and seems to be a dead link after 2008. Searching this site brings up a number of queries by you that have proven to be errors and mistakes in the list. Whoever complied the list for the RAF Museum made some mistakes (comes with the nature of such a compiling task).

Of course this Experimental Aeroplane series was begun from number
100 at least,and we know there were many patents for him.