Register here

Author Topic: Inertial Navigators in UK  (Read 12670 times)

Offline JFC Fuller

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: Inertial Navigators in UK
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2011, 03:36:09 pm »
Apparently Litton, Elliots and Ferranti all competed for the P.1154 contract, there was some controversy surrounding the Litton offering due to reports from Germany that the LN3 had suffered from poor reliability, however this was contradicted by Canadian experience.

Offline baigar

• CLEARANCE: Restricted
  • Vintage avionics and computer hobbyist
    • Vintage Avionics - Programmer Electronic Control
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2016, 04:17:29 am »
Hi there, maybe this post is a little late, but I just came accross this thread which I
found very interesting. My hobby is vintage avionics and I restored a FIN1012 to
working condition and via a homebrew logger/debugger it now controls the original
35mm film based moving map display. You can find a video on this project here:

Although I have a good understanding on the internals of these systems now, I'd
be highly interested getting in touch with someone who knows on manufacturing and
facory-calibration of the platforms. They are really a masterpiece of engineering
and the FIN101x's are a great mix of precision mechanics, analog and digital computing!

Any hints are welcome,

Erik, 

www.baigar.de,
erik@baigar.de,
www.programmer-electronic-control.de

Offline Trident

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2016, 05:46:43 pm »
Unfortunately I cannot help with your request, but I'm lost in admiration at your patience and ingenuity! Watching that gyro-package move as you're handling it in that video is hypnotic!

Offline baigar

• CLEARANCE: Restricted
  • Vintage avionics and computer hobbyist
    • Vintage Avionics - Programmer Electronic Control
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2016, 08:58:49 am »
Thanks for the positive words... I think wihin the next year I will do another video with more detailed views of
the mechanics in action (esp. during alignment and moving it around). A friend is working on the original HUD and
if this will be fed by the navigator, this will be another video, too...

Unfortunately I did not get any feedback on possible ex-Ferranti empliyes so far, still remembering these
systems...   :'(