Myasishchev M-29 (M-6P) airliner

Golfus

Lo que diga Don Manué
Reaction score
Hello to averybody, and happy 2007! ;D

I have found this profile of a civil derivate of the Myasishchev 3M (M-4 "Bison") bomber. It was designated M-29. I think it´s an interesting design, I would be very grateful if you have more drawings / pics, and some data of this project.

P.S. Did the guys from Boeing thought of a similar design based on the BLUFF? ;)

Attachments

• m29-1.gif
    m29-1.gif
    82 KB · Views: 653
Here's a 3-view of the M-29, sorry, can't tell the source, found it
somewhere in the net ..

Attachments

• M-29.jpg
    M-29.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 705
One of the nice Nekrasov drawings. He closed the website with his artworks after differences with K. Udalov (drawings were planned for another Myasishchev encyclopedia) :(.

I believe to have seen more information in the Red Star vol 11 (Myasishchev M-4 and 3M - The First Soviet Strategic Bomber), but - as usually - I cannot find my copy for the moment. Could anyone confirm this (to help Golfus)?

Four model pictures from www.ussr-airspace.com (Alex Panchenko's models) in the attachment.

Attachments

• 26143420.jpg
    26143420.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 484
  • 26143438.jpg
    26143438.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 458
  • 26143446.jpg
    26143446.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 421
  • 26143456.jpg
    26143456.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 132
P.S. Did the guys from Boeing thought of a similar design based on the BLUFF? Wink

B-52 airliner project existed. I'll scan a pic tonight

pometablava said:
P.S. Did the guys from Boeing thought of a similar design based on the BLUFF? Wink

*snicker* Not to mention all the times that stock footage of B-52 landing gear tests were used in TV and movie shows to depict airliner landing gear deployment. ;) The original "Mission:Impossible" tv show used this a good bit. (*chuckle* Yes, I'm showing my age, I watched that as a teenager "way back when")

There was also a "super guppy" version proposed & I've seen a drawing of a more conventional 'oversized' cargo version somewhere.

pometablava said:

To help Boxkite and Golfus:

Red Star Vol 11- Myasischev M-4 an 3M

M-29 airliner and military transportprojects.
- text on page 37 and 38
- one B&W illustration of the M-29(M-6P) airliner on page 37.
( looks like a photo of a model)

Thanks lark, your post was incentive to dig through piles and boxes like a mole. So I've found my copy. Here's the model picture.

Golfus, please send a PM, if you're interested in details of M-29 development history.

Attachments

• M-29.jpg
    M-29.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 211
All drawings (c) AVICO-PRESS. Resolution is set close to minimum, you must understand me.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 251
  • Untitled-4.jpg
    Untitled-4.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 240
  • Untitled-5.jpg
    Untitled-5.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 205
  • Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 211
3-views plus cutaway, including 'special' version (Air Force One) and M-29 transport version

Attachments

• Untitled-6.jpg
    Untitled-6.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 290
  • Untitled-7.jpg
    Untitled-7.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 344
  • Untitled-8.jpg
    Untitled-8.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 246
  • Untitled-9.jpg
    Untitled-9.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 287
Here's a B-52 design based airliner

Saludos

Attachments

• Boeing 473-25.jpg
    Boeing 473-25.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 344
Talking about B-52 Guppy version, here it is.

Attachments

• Colossal_Guppy.jpg
    Colossal_Guppy.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 170
pometablava said:
Here's a B-52 design based airliner

Saludos

Judging by the preproduction, XB-52 style cockpit glazing, this is a very, very early concept.

Boeing was very wise to invest in the 707 instead of this monster.

Can you imagine how uneconomic an eight turbojet engined airline would have been, even in the late 1950s?

The large capacity airline really only became viable with the advent of high bypass engines.

I agree with you. Although Boeing studied several configurations for future jet airliners, their effort concentrated in B-47, B-52 and C-97 derivatives. At the end the 707 originated from the C-97 ancestor.
In my opinion it was the logical choice.

zebedee said:
Found via a random trawl though the following page... Looks like a model of the military version of the M29 at the Museum of the Moscow Aviation Institute...

Funny, I happened on the same photo yesterday (following the exact same link as you) and thought of sharing that photo, but then I found myself unable to identify it... Actually I don't think this model shows the M-29 at all, since it's clearly a double-decker design, reminiscent of the Convair Model 37 or USAAF XC-99. Also it's a much bigger aircraft than the M-29/M-6P ever was meant to be.

Good Evening to All,

This aircraft appears to have a "flat" wing design... no dihedral. Does anyone know the purpose of not designing in any dihedral on an airliner? Sorry for the dull question, but I found this interesting.

Dihedral provides stability in the roll axis. The pilots (or the autopilot) would need to constantly fly the aircraft just to keep it upright.

Hello from Texas

SAustin16 said:
Good Evening to All,

This aircraft appears to have a "flat" wing design... no dihedral. Does anyone know the purpose of not designing in any dihedral on an airliner? Sorry for the dull question, but I found this interesting.

Dihedral provides stability in the roll axis. The pilots (or the autopilot) would need to constantly fly the aircraft just to keep it upright.

Hello from Texas

Required dihedral is dependent mostly on wing location(low, mid or high) and wing sweep. Rearward swept wings have a sort of natural dihedral and dont require as much, or in some cases anhedral.

pometablava said:

I agree with you. Although Boeing studied several configurations for future jet airliners, their effort concentrated in B-47, B-52 and C-97 derivatives. At the end the 707 originated from the C-97 ancestor.
In my opinion it was the logical choice.

My understanding is that the 707 came from the 367-80 Known as the dash 80 in Boeing circles.

Thank you for responding.

Both the M-29 3-View and the Double Deck designs appear to lack dihedral. Sienar may be correct that perhaps the wing has enough flex to bow up in-flight creating some dihedral effect.

I've always flown modern aircraft with dihedral designed wings, where the pilot can relax and fly using just the rudder to hold course. I read an article about a recent flight across the USA in a flat-wing 1920's Cessna built before dihedral was known, and the pilot commented that it was exhausting because the aircraft would constantly roll to either side. He couldn't take his hand off the yoke.

SAustin16 said:
Thank you for responding.

Both the M-29 3-View and the Double Deck designs appear to lack dihedral. Sienar may be correct that perhaps the wing has enough flex to bow up in-flight creating some dihedral effect.

I've always flown modern aircraft with dihedral designed wings, where the pilot can relax and fly using just the rudder to hold course. I read an article about a recent flight across the USA in a flat-wing 1920's Cessna built before dihedral was known, and the pilot commented that it was exhausting because the aircraft would constantly roll to either side. He couldn't take his hand off the yoke.

You misunderstood what I wrote. Sweeping wings rearward increases the effective dihedral, in some cases to the point that the wings will need to have anhedral.

Attachments

• effective dihedral.png
    effective dihedral.png
    48.6 KB · Views: 190
Back
Top Bottom