CVV (del Politecnico di Milano) Designations

Apophenia

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
CVV (Centro Volo a Vela del Politecnico di Milano) Designations

The most common designation is CVV even if the glider is assigned to an outside constructor (usually Aeronautica Lombarda). Key designer for CCV was Ing Ermenegildo Preti.

An alternative designation system used the initials of the designers followed by the type name (eg: Pinguino G.P.1, Asiago G.P.2, etc.). Reversing name and designation seems to have been common usage at the time.

CVV 1 Pinguino - 1937 gull-winged sailplane, designed by Preti and Maurizio Garbell
- built by Aeronautica Lombarda, 15.3 m span, 4 built (eg: I-POLI)
CVV 2 Asiago - 1937 single-seat parasol-winged training glider, Preti and Garbell
- built by Aeronautica Lombarda, 13.7 m span, 60 built
CVV 3 Arcore - 1938 single-seat gull-winged sailplane, 15 m span, 4 built (eg: I-DICI)
CVV 4 Pellicano - 1939 single-seat gull-winged glider, 15 m span, 1 built (I-ABNJ)
CVV 5 Papero - 1939 single-seat, gull-winged sailplane (deriv. from CVV 4), 4 built
CVV 6 Canguro - 1941 tandem-seat, high-winged sailplane, 52 built (by S.A.I Ambrosini)
CVV 7 Pinocchio - 1952, single-seat (18.5m) sailplane, 1 built by CCV (I-FIFA)
CVV 8 Linate - [Project] 1945
CVV 8 Bonaventure - 1957 2-seat high-winged sailplane, 19 m span, 20 built by CCV
CVV 9 - [??]

CVV namings seem a little erratic. Rough translations of names are as follows:

Pinguino - Penguin
Asiago - Asiago was a famous gliding site;
- also home of the Ministero dell'Aeronautica's Scuola di Volo a Vela.
Arcore - region in Lombardia
Pellicano - Pelican
Papero - Duck
Canguro - Kangaroo
Pinocchio - Carlo Collodi character
Linate - Milan's airfield
Bonaventure - [after San Bonaventura?]

Re: CCV (del Politecnico di Milano) Designations

Thanks Apophenia for this good list. Exist a C.V.V.9?

Servus Maveric

Maveric said:
... Exist a C.V.V.9? ...

I'm not sure Maveric. I haven't seen any reference to a CVV 9 but I was puzzled by the wartime/postwar duplication of the CVV 8 designation.

What do others think? Does including assumed, speculative designations with "[??]" following them just confuse matters?

Re: CCV (del Politecnico di Milano) Designations

Hi,

this company had also illogical series;

P.110 :three/four seat cabin monoplane.
PM.280 Tartuca :single seat low wing single engined monoplane.

Who can tell us about that series ?.

Sorry, helps if one types the acronym properly! I've corrected that now.

Hesham: you're right, the postwar designations do seem illogical. The constant appears to be 'P' for designer Ermenegildo Preti. So, does PR and PM suggest the involvement of other designers? 'M' could, of course, be for Milano. But, if so, why is it only applied to the Tartuca?

For postwar CVV designations, I've got the "versioni motorizzate" of the CVV.6 Canguro. Neither seem to have been given distinct designations. I've seen the pusher-propeller version assigned the designation 'P.25' but this is surely a confusion with its 22 hp Ambrosini P-25 2-cyl horizontally-opposed engine. The Turbomeca jet-powered Canguro Palas still carried the original CVV.6 designation it seems. Other are:

PR.2 Saltafossi (Ditch-Hopper): cabin lightplane with 3-cyl Macchi MB.2 motor. Completed in 1946 but it's not clear whether the prototype actually flew prior to the 2002 flight of the restored (and re-engined) aircraft.

PM.280 Tartuca (Tortoise): 1947 low-wing single-seater racer, 60 hp CNA flat 4-cyl.
-- retractable gear, 260 km/h on 60 hp engine
-- NB: Dominique Mahieu also lists a PM.80 Tartuca [typo?]

http://www.hag-italy.it/FotoAlbum/tabid/60/galleryType/SlideShow/ItemID/142/language/it-IT/Default.aspx
http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1962/1962%20-%200524.html
-- photos of both PM.280 and P.19

P.110 - 3-4 seat low-wing cabin monoplane, precursor to the P.111
-- aka known as Agusta P.110 or Politecnico P-110, I-COLJ

P.111: 4-seat low-wing cabin monoplane, 145 hp Alfa Romeo 110 4-cyl, prototype by Agusta

P.19 Scricciolo (Wren): 1959 2-seat trainer for Aero Club d'Italia.
-- Series production by Aviamilano. 51 built (incl. prototype).
- P.19 - tailwheel undercarriage
- P.19Tr - tricycle undercarriage
- P.19R - rebuild with 150 hp Lycoming for use as glider tug

Going back to Aviamilano, the well-known F.8L Falco and its 4-seater F.14 Nibbio derivative are obviously Frati designs as were the later F.250 and F.260 prototypes. But who designed the A-2 Standard sailplane?

Yes my dear Apophenia,

I think the P.110 developed into P.111.

Hi,

here is a drawings to CCV.6 & CCV.8.

Attachments

• CCV.6.png
    CCV.6.png
    301 KB · Views: 126
  • CCV.8.png
    CCV.8.png
    293.4 KB · Views: 117
Some drawings to CV gliders.

http://www.avia-it.com/act/biblioteca/periodici/PDF%20Riviste/Ala/L'Ala%201948%2002.pdf

Attachments

• 2 & 3.png
    2 & 3.png
    607.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 6  &  7.png
    6 & 7.png
    605.8 KB · Views: 51
  • CVV.5.png
    CVV.5.png
    419.5 KB · Views: 50