AST.1238 : Marconi Brimstone development & alternatives

DamienB

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Website
www.tsr2.info
Back in the very early 90s a friend of mine who worked at Marconi was involved in an anti-armour weapon then known as Brimstone. The project had progressed enough to have some very swish publicity pamphlets and stickers produced (the latter particularly memorable as the logo was a witch on a broomstick crushing a T-72 in her hands), and I saw some very impressive video footage of test firings. Now, the thing is, this Brimstone was a skeet submunition dispenser - much like the AGM-145/BLU-108 combination the USAF now use.

Whatever happened to it, because the MBDA Brimstone is clearly a very different weapon indeed?

Sorry about that, interupted by the day job.

AST.1227 was for a guided weapon to replace the BL.755 and dates back as far the late 70s (long before concerns about collateral damage was a problem, apart from using them close to friendly forces). Modified SRAAM and BAe's Sabre were considered using IR and modified Copperhead seekers respectively.

By the early 80s millimetre wave radar (MMW) was viable and AST.1227 was cancelled in 1981 and replaced by AST.1238 (later SR(A).1238. Variations on cluster bombs / munitions dispensers were considered for this. This was all re-assessed after the 1991 Gulf War after which a measure of stand-off was considered necessary.

I think the key was a seeker that allowed targetting of individual vehicles (sniper rather than shotgun approach) and MMW radar would have been a Marconi interest. Marconi (GEC-Marconi actually) bid the AAAW (Advanced Anti-Armour Weapon) with a MMW seeker in a "Hellfire-style" airframe. This was renamed Brimstone. GEC-Marconi merged into MBDA and that's where Brimstone is now.

Chris

Does anybody know who was making the MMW seekers for these submunitions? I am guessing that Marconi made their own but where did Hunting get theirs from? And who made the submunitions? Apparently the SWAARM submunition had an IR seeker as well as an MMW. Of course there was also the Thomson-Thorne TAAWS in a similar category.

I can see I'm going to have to dig through the boxes in the loft and see if I can find the publicity pamphlet! Thinking about it I was probably off saying early 90s - it'd have been late 80s when I saw the videos of the test firings. I distinctly remember the test shots leaving a near-vertical smoke trail over the targets, with the targets exploding nicely, and Marconi titling at the beginning so I don't think it would have been tape of SWAARM though the description of the latter does sound much more like the weapon I remember. The timeframes don't fit very well either with the current Brimstone being little more than paperwork at the time I saw the tape and publicity material. Strange...

The first AST.1238 proposals were intended to be quite complex weapons, either missiles or submunition dispensers. When cost cutting took over in the later 1980s these weapons were abandoned in favour of other, lower performance/cost proposals - Hunting proposed SWAARM and Marconi Brimstone (see SOC's link above).

In the early/mid 1990s further changes post-Cold War/Gulf War etc. led to Hunting proposing SWAARM 2/2000, using Honeywell submunitions and the Swedish/German KEPD 150 body IIRC. I think I have seen patches for these (and the story is told further) in Always a Challenge: An RAF Scientist in the Cold War Years - A First Hand Account by T.H. Kerr.

As far as I can tell, from about 1986 on, Marconi/GEC were pushing Brimstone as a Hellfire derived MMW weapon. They had lost out in the early AST.1238 work to BAe and Hunting so this was their way back into the competition, selling 'low risk/cost' I guess. As time progressed, and Brimstone developed from being just a Hellfire with a MMW seeker bolted on, and came to share only the Hellfire layout (all new inside), I guess the costs and risks went up!

There's a section on the early AST.1238 weapons (such as the BAe AALAAW - http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1986/1986%20-%202309.html?search=aalaaw) and the rationale for their use, as well as details of their design and testing, in my forthcoming P.1216 book (http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,6661.0.html - at the printers in the next week or so). AST.410 (which P.1216 was to meet) required their carriage. A surprising amount of work was done on them, more than on SWAARM and the 1980s version of Brimstone it seems.

Attached is a draft appendix from the book that did not make the final edit, showing AALAAW from the Flight article and a derived test vehicle being carried and released from a Buccaneer, ca. 1985.

Attachments

• ast1238-aalaaw.pdf
    84.5 KB · Views: 155
Sorry about that, interupted by the day job.

AST.1227 was for a guided weapon to replace the BL.755 and dates back as far the late 70s (long before concerns about collateral damage was a problem, apart from using them close to friendly forces). Modified SRAAM and BAe's Sabre were considered using IR and modified Copperhead seekers respectively.

By the early 80s millimetre wave radar (MMW) was viable and AST.1227 was cancelled in 1981 and replaced by AST.1238 (later SR(A).1238. Variations on cluster bombs / munitions dispensers were considered for this. This was all re-assessed after the 1991 Gulf War after which a measure of stand-off was considered necessary.

I think the key was a seeker that allowed targetting of individual vehicles (sniper rather than shotgun approach) and MMW radar would have been a Marconi interest. Marconi (GEC-Marconi actually) bid the AAAW (Advanced Anti-Armour Weapon) with a MMW seeker in a "Hellfire-style" airframe. This was renamed Brimstone. GEC-Marconi merged into MBDA and that's where Brimstone is now.

Chris
Hi Chris. Appreciate your books by the way. I'm pretty sure AST 1238 was already well down the semi auto cued, autonomous missile road by 1985/6. Both Hunting and Marconi had a missile based system on the table I suspect. I don’t think they had names then. This was well before the Gulf War. I think the need to destroy large numbers of Soviet tanks without an overfly was driving the project, helped no doubt by the Soviet mobile AAA.

True. Since I wrote that, I dug out more on SR(A).1238 and Hellfire. The idea probably dates back to the mid 70s with the Wasp and what became Hellfire and I find it quite odd that the Air Staff were looking for a means to destroy tanks without flying over the target while in another office they were working on destroying airfields by flying over the target.

Glad you like the books. The missile book formerly known as BSP4 needs updated.

Chris

Ha! Yes! Re the AST1238 project I think part of the requirement was to be able to take on targets of opportunity with passing shots from low level with no prior targeting info. But yes, JP233 would have been a viable weapon with wings and a short range rocket assist. I guess it must have been considered? But it would have become an even bigger and more costly weapon and possibly beyond the ability of Tornado to lift and MOD to pay!

Loads on JP. 233 and SR(A) 1227 and 1238 in Typhoon to Typhoon. I'd love to see a drawing of a Buccaneer or Canberra runway ripper-upper with the depressable(?) KCA cannon.

USAF reckoned Durandal was more effective than JP 233, but also required overflight of the target.

Chris

Another book for the Christmas list!! The US still seemed pretty keen to let RAF take out Iraqi airfields using 233…or try to.