Fiat G-61

Giovanni

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post here, after several weeks of intense reading on this forum, really interesting subjects and exaustive answers to many of my interests ( Re 2005R, Re 2007, Re 2006, SM 91, ecc ... ). Several years ago I was discussing with a friend about some post war FIAT projects. He told me about an evolution of the FIAT G 59, a FIAT G-60 or 61, never realised , anyway a fighter project.
Are there any drawings about these projects, evolved from the G-59 ?
Thank you in advance.
Ciao
Giovanni

Welcome here..,

The G-60 was a G-59 with a Merlin 66 engine. Two versions, A and B, like the G-59. Externally it would have been the same. Never heard of a G-61.

Skybolt...

sorry, but everytime my same question: Can you post a drawing and technical data? Thanks ;) (for the G.60)

Maveric

I have contacted the friend told me about this G61 and he has confirmed the existance of a G 61, from what he read.
On next days /hours hee will send to me some photocopies about an article on the italian magazine AEREI where it was reported about it. When the material will arrive I will post here.
Ciao
Giovanni

...an indication about a G.61 project appears on 'Gli Aeroplani Italiani 1945-1991', by late Italo de'Marchi.
In the chapter devoted to the G.59 Italo wrote:
"After study, on two P-51 leased from Aeronautica Militare, of the RR Merlin Packard V-1650-7 engine 8as a batch of those less costly engines was available), it (this version of the engine) was installed on a G.59, initially known as G.55AP, but without any flight test. Identified also as G.61, it would have a max speed of 670 km/h..."
In the de'Marche text there is no indication of the G.60.
Both G.60 and G.61 are in "I Caccia della Serie 5 - Parte II -Fiat G.55" by Nino Arena.
About postwar developments of the Centauro Nino wrote:
From the G.55 were developed some experimental versions, some only prototypes and other produced in quantity:
1) G.55AD (or G.48A) with IF Delta RC.40 engine.
2) G.55BBD (G.48B), same but two-seater
3) G.55AM (G.59A) w/ RR Merlin T.24/2
4) G.55BM (G.59B), same but two-seater
5) G.55A/66 (G.60A) with RR Merlin 66 engine
6) G.55B/66 (G.60B), same but two-seater
7) G.55AP (G.61A) with Packard V-1650-7
8) G.55BP (G.61B), same but two-seater
The G.61, continued Nino, was built only in the single-seat prototype form, whilst the G.60 was redesignated G.59-2 and received the Merlin 500/20.

I think all the above is very interesting, but I cannot endorse it. I hope to find the time of dig in the papers of an old interview with Prof. Gabrielli...

Nico

thanks to my friend Nando, so quick in sending the requested informations , here the page of an article in AEREI n 6, June 1976, article " G.59:L'ultimo a pistoni" by Carlo D'Agostino.
Page 42.
G59G61.jpg

and at page 49 a list with Ing.Gabrielli projects mentioning at last the G 61A and B.
Interesting list, reporting also a G 53 , a ricognittore veloce biposto, and also a G55Z ... wow ... really a lot of intreresting subject I did not know at all.
ProgettiGabrielli.jpg

the list is on reserch by Gianni Ludi.
The article about the G 61 reported only this:
"Intanto il tramonto del motore alternativo faceva annullare il progetto G.61, concepito inizialmente come caccia monoposto armato con due cannoni Hispano-Suiza MkII da 20 mm e due mitragliatrici M2 da 12,7."
That's all.
ciao
Giovanni

PS: Now I will start a search for material about the G 53 and the G55 with two engine, not the G58, and the G 55 Z ... interesting :)

Ali D'Italia on the Fiat G.55 by P Vergnano and G Alegi has;

Fiat G.61 A and B, equivalent to G.55 AP and BP. Single and twin seat versions with the V-1650-7 installed.

Giovanni: outstanding.
Nico: many thanks, I'm fascinated by post-war developments of WW II piston-engine aircraft.

Many thanks to both Giovanni and Nicok, to have enlighted such obscure G-55 derivatives.

You are right... the G-61 A and B are cited in the autobiography of Gabrielli as Merlin Packard versions of G-59.They were originally known as G-55AP and BP, I should have done my homework.

Hi,

http://www.avia-it.com/act/biblioteca/periodici/PDF%20Riviste/Ala/L'Ala%201950%2002.pdf

Attachments

• 61.png
    61.png
    438.1 KB · Views: 452
Hi!

http://p-d-m.livejournal.com/218744.html

Attachments

• TTX_zpseb0dc0e0.jpg
    TTX_zpseb0dc0e0.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 371