AM

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Hi all

http://www.austerclub.org/type_list/auster_type_list.htm

and some additions to designations from different sources:

A7 - light twin project, not built
B1 - mid-wing AOP project, not built
B3 - radio-controlled target drone, A.B.C., 6 HP (1951)
B9 - ramjet helicopter project, not built (http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,9947.0/highlight,auster.html)
D8 - original designation of Beagle Airedale

Regards

Thanks for this useful link!

The Model B3 is actually there, complete with a photo!! ;)

However, both the site and you have forgotten the Model L low wing monoplane, which was started though never completed (see attachment).

Attachments

• Auster L (bw).jpg
    Auster L (bw).jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 240
Some explanations and additions;

H experimental tandem two-seat training glider converted from Taylorcraft B.
J/3 was J/2 with 65 hp Cont. C-65-12 engine.
J/4 was J/2 with 90 hp Cirrus Minor 1 engine.
J/6 three saeter based on J/1 with 145 hp Gipsy Major X engine,never completed.
J/7 proposed two-seater similar to J/2 with 100 hp Cirrus Minor engine,project
only.
K Auster AOP.6.
P four-seater based on J/1 with slimmer circular section rear fuselage,new u/c,
four doors,external flaps and 145 hp Gipsy Major 10 engine.
A2 was also Type M & N.
S AOP aircraft based on AOP.6 with enlarge tail,Bombardier engine and new u/c.
E3 was AOP.9 with Cont. IO-470-D engine,also Designation (A-115).

Nice addition, hesham, but be careful about "A2". This was not an Auster inhouse designation, but only the first part of the official specification: A.2/45 (which involved not only the Auster N, but also the Heston JC.6 prototype and the Miles M.66 project).

Also, please note that :

1°) Auster's designations featured a slash sign between the type letter and the variant numeral, as in J/1A.

2°) All the letters from A to S (except for I, O and R) seem to have been allocated to Auster Types.

3°) A new numbering system was introduced in 1958 following the Beagle take-over, and this consisted of only a letter and a numeral, WITHOUT the slash.
These designations include C6, D1, D4, D5, D6, D8, D9 and E3. Proof that this was a completely different system is in the duplication of D1 vs. D/1 (the A.O.P. I) and E3 vs. E/3 (a 1947 project). Apparently the old designations remained on the aircraft that were still produced, and often appeared without the slash (J5 vs. J/5) but I don't know if there was a rule about that.

4°) When the name Auster disappeared in 1960, the name Beagle was used throughout, a third system was introduced that used a letter indicating the original design team (A for Auster, M for Miles) followed by a two- or three- digit number. These designations include A61 Terrier (former K/6B), A109 and A111 Airedale (former D8), A115 Mark 11/A.O.P.11 (former E3).

hi all

exelent site about british aviation

about Auster
http://britishaviation-ptp.com/id131.html

As there is no topic for assorted Auster designs, here is the B4:

Attachments

• Auster B4.jpg
    Auster B4.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 161
I was glad to find that there is still a handful of dedicated enthusiasts for vintage aircraft on our forum (I worry at times that it seems to have become a news-oriented forum...)

So for all of you who can appreciate that kind of stuff, here's from the excellent book Austers: A design & anecdotal history by the Rearsby planemakers, published by the International Auster Club Heritage Group in 2002.

Attachments

• auster08.jpg
    auster08.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 64
  • auster07.jpg
    auster07.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 56
  • auster06.jpg
    auster06.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 51
  • auster05.jpg
    auster05.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 56
  • auster04.jpg
    auster04.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 54
  • auster03.jpg
    auster03.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 115
  • auster02.jpg
    auster02.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 119
  • auster01.jpg
    auster01.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 121
  • auster09.jpg
    auster09.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 58
Skyblazer said:
Nice addition, hesham, but be careful about "A2". This was not an Auster inhouse designation, but only the first part of the official specification: A.2/45 (which involved not only the Auster N, but also the Heston JC.6 prototype and the Miles M.66 project).

Also, please note that :

1°) Auster's designations featured a slash sign between the type letter and the variant numeral, as in J/1A.

2°) All the letters from A to S (except for I, O and R) seem to have been allocated to Auster Types.

3°) A new numbering system was introduced in 1958 following the Beagle take-over, and this consisted of only a letter and a numeral, WITHOUT the slash.
These designations include C6, D1, D4, D5, D6, D8, D9 and E3. Proof that this was a completely different system is in the duplication of D1 vs. D/1 (the A.O.P. I) and E3 vs. E/3 (a 1947 project). Apparently the old designations remained on the aircraft that were still produced, and often appeared without the slash (J5 vs. J/5) but I don't know if there was a rule about that.

4°) When the name Auster disappeared in 1960, the name Beagle was used throughout, a third system was introduced that used a letter indicating the original design team (A for Auster, M for Miles) followed by a two- or three- digit number. These designations include A61 Terrier (former K/6B), A109 and A111 Airedale (former D8), A115 Mark 11/A.O.P.11 (former E3).

I think you may have got yourself in a slight pickle here! My website, http://www.britishaviation-ptp.com/auster.html, (thanks for the previous plug and note the corrected link), gives what I believe to be the best synopsis of Auster's complicated system. Here are a few comments:

"Auster's designations featured a slash sign between the type letter and the variant numeral, as in J/1A". Correct, but quite a minefield of minor models (J/1 through J/8), with sub models given by the letter suffix. The latter initially began at A for each where applicable, but then became part of a "unified" (!!) system. But beware of the Auster 5 series, totally unconnected to the J/5 series!

".....be careful about "A2". This was not an Auster in house designation, but only the first part of the official specification: A.2/45". According to Aeroplane, December 1983, the A.2/45 was given the Auster designation A2. This, of course, may be incorrect, but chronologically would fit.

"A new numbering system was introduced in 1958 following the Beagle take-over, and this consisted of only a letter and a numeral, WITHOUT the slash." - no, this was the use of the SBAC numbering system introduced immediately post war, not in 1958, and starting at A1 (possibly the Model M redesignated). Beagle didn't take over Auster until 1960.

"....duplication of D1 vs. D/1 (the A.O.P. I) and E3 vs. E/3 (a 1947 project)." - yes, designation D/1 did exist, as the aircraft that became the Auster I did differ from the basic Model D. I have never seen any reference to an "E/3". I is always Taylorcraft Model E Auster III (for the military variant), the company having yet to be renamed Auster, or Auster 3 when civilianized.

"When the name Auster disappeared in 1960, the name Beagle was used throughout, a third system was introduced that used a letter indicating the original design team (A for Auster, M for Miles) followed by a two- or three- digit number. These designations include A61 Terrier (former K/6B)....". The Auster name lasted a bit longer, as Beagle-Auster, until the three parts of Beagle were merged at Shoreham as Beagle Aircraft Limited on 10 May 1962. The Terrier was the only exception the Beagle 3-digit system, supposedly representing Austers 61st design. Also the use of the designation K/6B is incorrect. Although the Model J had a multitude of sub-designations (J/1 through J/8), the Model K did not. Civil conversions of the Taylorcraft Model K Auster AOP.VI were known as Auster 6 and further civil variants followed the Auster 6 naming (6A, 6B) without reference to the basic Model K designator.

Hope that all helps a bit. Again, http://www.britishaviation-ptp.com/auster.html (plug) gives a full listing of all known Taylorcraft/Auster projects, along with many more. It is only up to the latter end of the B's so far, but, slowly but surely..............!

Thanks ursrius! As you may have noticed, I recently posted a wealth of material about Auster from a book I purchased this year, and of course the attempt I made at clarifying the system were made before that. I didn't take the time to go through it again in the light of the new material and correct the mistakes. Thanks for doing it, and with probably much better accuracy!