British LO/FOAS FOA FCAC

We did have a topic on this...

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,4186.0.html

;D

zebedee said:
Just got hold of the latest issue of Air Pictorial.. sorry Aviation News, still cant get used to the new name... anyway there's an article on this project...

Apparently its the P125, and it made it as far as full scale mockup. The article makes VERY interesting reading...

Turns out she's a full V/Stol bird, the ducting is for the front nozzle of RULS system, the rear
lift exhaust exiting through vectored nozzles between the wing trailing edge and horizontal stabiliser.

Zeb
I was pretty close then ;) what does RULS stand for?

Remote Unaugmented Lift System (RALS without afterburning on the front ducts)

Just got the magazine, very interesting article, I'd never heard of Remote Unaugmented Lift System (RULS) before, looks quite neat if it worked.

I can't help thinking this was an overly ambitious concept for a flying technology demonstrator though, stealth, ASTOVL, thrust vectoring and a buried cockpit all in one go! would have loved to see it :)

So how often do (or did) companies build full size mock-ups of concept aircraft and was this an indicator of how seriously the project was consider?

FOAS concept courtesy BAe

Attachments

• BAe_FOAS.jpg
    BAe_FOAS.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 432
From that angle one cannot but think the machine is more a successor the Buccaneer than the Tornado.

For sale on Ebay, an FOAS sticker. Appears to be a nice image.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FOAS-UNMANNED-AIRCRAFT-STICKER-BRITISH-AEROSPACE-BAE_W0QQitemZ350133779261QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Collectables_Badges_Patches_MJ?hash=item350133779261

Attachments

• foas.JPG
    foas.JPG
    14.3 KB · Views: 654
Other that publicity photographs/renderings, has anyone ever seen any reputable 3-views/diagrams or specifications of BAE's FOAS or Replica?

A couple more for the collection, again (C) BAE.

Attachments

• foas_bae mix.jpg
    foas_bae mix.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 834
  • FOAS1.JPG
    FOAS1.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 789
old BAe web-site pic

Attachments

• FOAS-.jpg
    FOAS-.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 660
I have these stored as "FOAS" ,however I did not ID the sources.

Attachments

• 119D51~1 (2).JPG
    119D51~1 (2).JPG
    231.9 KB · Views: 291
  • 05-29-2005 10_08_19PM.JPG
    05-29-2005 10_08_19PM.JPG
    314.8 KB · Views: 280
  • 108834~1 (2).JPG
    108834~1 (2).JPG
    373.6 KB · Views: 445
  • 10-04-2004 12_28_40AM.JPG
    10-04-2004 12_28_40AM.JPG
    350.9 KB · Views: 633
  • FOASConcept15.jpg
    FOASConcept15.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 337
The craft pictured is a full-scale model and was completed in 1999, after five years of work. The £20 million programme, codenamed Replica, was jointly funded by BAE Systems and the UK Ministry of Defence.

Source: "Secret UK Stealth Plane Project Revealed" by David Windle, New Scientist, April 4, 2003
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn3590

Attachments

• BAe_Replica.jpg
    BAe_Replica.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 307
Side by side, same-scale factory model comparison of the BAe FOAS and Boeing F-32, both in RAF/RN colors.

Attachments

• RAF FOAS & F-32.jpg
    RAF FOAS & F-32.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 453
straycat 2269 said:
any idea where can be found?

bought for megabucks (several hundreds as minimum) at eBay on a *rare* chance, for example

straycat 2269 said:
dear circle-5,
where did you get the FOAS model?
any idea where can be found?

Hi Straycat, I traded this a couple of years ago for another model, with an overseas collector. While I only know of two such FOAS models in private collections, you may wish to contact SPF member Caravellarella. He was the shop manager at the model company that made them for BAe, and may know where to get one at a reasonable price. Otherwise, Flateric is correct about their market value on eBay.

Attached is another view of the FOAS model.

Attachments

• RAF FOAS 01.jpg
    RAF FOAS 01.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 376
I guess I am the other collector. I purchased it on Ebay about three years ago.

That is one tight looking jet...added to my must do twin EDF 1/8 scale RC model list. Maybe 2010. Geting the control surfaces to function correctly will interesting.

another AVPRO what-if

Brochure - BAE Systems Future Offensive Air System (B236) found on eBay.

URL: http://cgi.ebay.com/Brochure-BAE-Systems-Future-Offensive-Air-Syst-B236-/310080915334?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2

Seller's description:
Brochure - BAE Systems - Future Offensive Air System - Code: 48741-7.06.2000.CO. Double-sided, A4 sized, colour brochure providing an overview of the FOAS program aimed at replacing the capabilities of the Tornado GR4 examining a Force mix of airborne vehicles and technologies. Brochure issued at airshows like Farnborough.

Attachments

• 38d0_12.jpg
    38d0_12.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 302
Artist's impression of a FOAS military transporter, C-17A Globemaster III?, launching Conventional Air-Launched Cruise Missiles (CALCM).

Source:
http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/foas/foas4.html

Attachments

• foas4.jpg
    foas4.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 697
In the current AFM-issue there's finally a clear photo of the "Replica" ... :eek:

Does anyone have seen more and from other views ?? ???

Cheers, Deino

Deino said:
Does anyone have seen more and from other views ?? ???

I saw quite a few from recent pole testing up at Warton but I can't remember where exactly. I'll have a look around for them.

red admiral said:
I saw quite a few from recent pole testing up at Warton but I can't remember where exactly. I'll have a look around for them.

:eek: And your second post will be that you have the full pack of information about the HALO program? Cant wait!

Found them in the end.

Attachments

• Replica2.jpg
    Replica2.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 789
  • Replica1.jpg
    Replica1.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 773
The Replica follow-on was the Nightjar program not yet mentioned here.

The previously classified Nightjar programme began in 2000 and its unique testbody has been used to test new features, which could be crucial for the future of air vehicle design. The testbody was designed to have a very low radar signature so that technologies fitted on it could be tested without the body itself figuring in the test results.

http://www.baesystems.com/Newsroom/NewsReleases/autoGen_10711164852.html

Attachments

• bae_cimg_mas_nightjar_latestReleased_bae_cimg_mas_nightjar_W.jpg
    bae_cimg_mas_nightjar_latestReleased_bae_cimg_mas_nightjar_W.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 1,780
red admiral, thanks for those 2 photos! :)
This morning I was looking through the current Air Forces Monthly (AFM) issue at a news agent near my local train staion.
For a few minutes I had turned the magazine 180° around, so I could get a better perspective of the "Replica"
The custumer next to me gave me a wierd look... ;) :D

AFM? is that a UK available magazine? because i'd love to have a look :)

@ Red Admiral - WOW! thats a superb pair of pics thank you for putting them up for us to see.

AFM == Air Forces Monthly? If so, a well-done Brit mag, available widely in the US too.

Red Admiral, you surely must post more frequently;) Big thanks. I wonder what murky misteries are hidden at other partitions of your HDD. Replica is surely one of most attractive LO designs I saw to the date - and from this angle, even more.

Just another one

Attachments

• 1SF__UK- BAE Replica_002.jpg
    1SF__UK- BAE Replica_002.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 819