Author Topic: William Green: Aircraft of the Third Reich - revised edition  (Read 7798 times)

Offline lucamax

• CLEARANCE: Secret
    • Res Aeronautica
Re: William Green: Aircraft of the Third Reich - revised edition
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2013, 02:09:45 pm »
Maybe troubles with the heritage?

Offline gatoraptor

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2013, 07:53:41 am »
Any updates on the status of volumes 2 and 3?  I'm hoping that someone on this forum with ties to the British book-publishing business would know.  I'd have to believe that the manuscript for volume 2, at least, is likely sitting finished somewhere.

Offline Skyblazer

• Top Contributor
  • CLEARANCE: Top Secret
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2013, 08:40:09 am »
If I'm not mistaken, the original edition is over 30 years old. Revising such an old publication instead of providing an entirely new book, given the wealth of information that has surfaced since then, seems a little strange to me, because if the changes are minor, then the book will not be to a par with other contemporary productions, and if the changes are big, retaining the original name can be misleading. Also, if it's no longer the original author that does the revising work, it's even more strange to me.

Offline F-14D

• I really did change my personal text
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2013, 01:05:10 pm »
If I'm not mistaken, the original edition is over 30 years old. Revising such an old publication instead of providing an entirely new book, given the wealth of information that has surfaced since then, seems a little strange to me, because if the changes are minor, then the book will not be to a par with other contemporary productions, and if the changes are big, retaining the original name can be misleading. Also, if it's no longer the original author that does the revising work, it's even more strange to me.

Depends on how much is retained from the old edition, which had a great deal of excellent work put into it.  As far as keeping the name, as long as it clearly states this is a revised and updated edition, that's a plus, not misleading.  The market for books like this is not very larger, especially as the period in question recedes further in time.  Keeping the original title will spark more curiosity from those who have or remember the original masterpiece.  For example, without the original title, I might not even looked at this thread.  Same for others, "Oh why look at this given what William Green did with his book"?

Offline gatoraptor

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2013, 02:42:41 pm »
A small note - the original book was entitled Warplanes of the Third Reich......

Offline Skyblazer

• Top Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2013, 04:27:46 pm »
A small note - the original book was entitled Warplanes of the Third Reich......

Oh, yes! You are absolutely right! I remember my dad having it on his shelf in the early 1970s already. "Warplanes" it was...

Offline gatoraptor

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2013, 04:21:47 am »
So, has anyone in the U.K. figured out what's happened to the manuscripts for volumes 2 and 3?