Hiller Helicopter Model Restoration

CAIR67

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Ok, since the success of the Snark restoration I have taken on another project. These Hiller 360 helicopters came to me in pieces, and they are a worthy restoration cause. From what little I can find these models represent the first iteration of the Hiller 360 nicknamed the "Yellow Pearl". The Hiller 360 was only 3rd helicopter certified by the CAA in 1947. Later re designated the UH-12 it became a successful military and civilian helicopter.
Like most Hiller factory models these have great details interior and exterior especially for the time period made. One model has a period 18:1 geared motor that still works! It is connected to the main rotor and a gearbox for the missing tail rotor. It is going to be cool to see the rotors rotate once I get them fixed up!
Like I said they are in pieces but I do have most of the parts. The parts I am missing are the tail rotor, nose gear, and main rotor paddles. I can find no good pictures of these items. So the first step will be information gathering. I do have an email out to the President of the Hiller Museum. I am also thinking of taking a trip to the NASM Library since they have some Hiller records. Although I don't know if they have completed the move to Udvar Hazy. If anyone has any information it will be greatly appreciated.

-David

Attachments

• IMG_0606.jpg
    IMG_0606.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0599.jpg
    IMG_0599.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 113
Move hasn't been made yet - definitely not the archives. Will see if i can learn more at the end of the week (I am meeting one of the people responsible for the archives in the downtown NASM)

Wonderful model of the Yellow Pearl! It is really deserving of a restoration. Can't wait to see what you do about it! ;)