Postwar Delanne Projects

Great stuff, I agree, I am always a fan of tandem wings.

The control surface arrangement is has me scratching by head. Are those all-moving wingtips on the rear wing or just a stall strake across the wing? I don't imagine that the control surfaces on the front wing would be anything but ailerons as they same too close to the CG to work as elevons.

Thoughts?

All sorts of confused now.... I thought or seem to recall that high-wing forward/low-wing aft was unstable at higher speeds while low-wing forward/high-wing aft was a more stable configuaration overall. Or do I have that back-asswards as it were?

I'd suspect that the lines on the low-rear wing would pretty much have to be the elevators (all moving surfaces) given the placement and lack of any other controls??

Randy

According to the text, the rear wing carries the combined elevators/ailerons,
the forward wing carries the flaps.
The configuration was the same as for other Delanne designs.

Jemiba said:
In the June issue 1961 of the Les Ailes magazine, I've found the Delanne D.1300,
a businees jet/light transport. Powered by two Turbomeca Marboré II engines,
it should have been able to reach a speed of up to 850 km/h, a service ceiling
of 12.000 km and a range of 1000 km.

Excellent my dear Jemiba,

great find,and there is also the Delanne D.1200 jet aircraft,but no more
info is available.

Tailspin Turtle said:
More later...

Ooh, I can't wait, love those French tandems.

OK, not for the first time, let me ask if anyone can point me towards some kind of academic or technical book, paper or article that defines and describes the pros and cons of the Delanne configuration, whether by Delanne or anyone else? I have found a number of sources over the years on the Mignet configuration, mostly in the homebuilt aircraft community, but never anything on the Delanne configuration. Maybe something from Westland? Any help on this would be VERY MUCH appreciated.

Cheers,

Matthew

Generates high lift (35% greater than a single wing of the same area), virtually impossible to stall.

Some comments here:

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1952/1952%20-%201160.html

Thanks, I have that little snippet from Penrose and the letter with a sketch of the Gremlin design which preceded it: http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1952/1952%20-%200415.html

I have read lots of claims both for and against tandem wings, especially the Mignet designs, but what I am really trying to find is some sort of wind tunnel test results or other hard data that actually support those claims. The Delanne designs interest me most as they seem to have avoided the handling quirks of some other tandems.

The Pardel Development Corporation (Aircraft Division) provided a proposal dated 2 December 1948 for the Model Delanne 16 J–A long-range, single-engine, penetration fighter to the Navy’s Bureau of Aeronautics. The Corporation’s address was 221 Park Avenue in New York City. The document can be seen in the Spangenberg collection at the National Archives II, College Park, Maryland.

The 16 J-A was to be powered by a Rolls Royce Nene II engine. The Delanne “duo-monoplane” wing was claimed to have extremely low drag and high maximum lift. This was reflected in the performance projections: a top speed of 727 mph (without afterburner, 784 mph with*) and a combat radius (not range) of 1,277 miles (including five minutes in afterburner). By contrast, the Standard Aircraft Characteristics chart for Grumman F9F-2 Panther, powered by basically the same engine, credited it with a top speed of 575 mph and a combat radius of only 534 miles. The 16 J-A also had a slightly lower empty weight.

Surprisingly, the Navy chose to pass on this opportunity to make a significant leap forward in carrier-based jet fighter performance.

*Although the proposal included projections of performance with an afterburner, none was shown on the interior arrangement drawing.

Attachments

• Delanne Model 16 J-A 3vu web.jpg
    Delanne Model 16 J-A 3vu web.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 1,101
  • Delanne 16 J-A Inboard Profile web.jpg
    Delanne 16 J-A Inboard Profile web.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 989
Fantastic stuff, TT, thanks very much. Do I detect a touch of irony?

Surprisingly, the Navy chose to pass on this opportunity to make a significant leap forward in carrier-based jet fighter performance.

Tailspin Turtle said:
More later...

Quite obviously, this image is in negative. Here's the positive version...

Attachments

• Delanne positive.jpg
    Delanne positive.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 863
Some of you may know that I am a fan of the various French tandem-wing designs. I stumbled across this in Google Books from the 1948 Aviation Week & Space Technology, Volume 49, page 47:

A pusher type Goodyear racer is being developed by Maurice Delanne. The racer will be built in Texas. Delanne claims that his design will get 230 mph. out of the 85 hp. Continental engine required for the race. The Delanne plane is 17 ft. 3 inches long with a wingspan of 16 ft. 4 inches.

Delanne had moved from France to the USA after the war, working for Convair, IIRC. That's all there is. Does that ring a bell with anyone? Any images or details available?

Cheers,

Matthew

Sorry, this should have been an extension of an earlier thread, please move as appropriate.

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,6430.0.html

Thanks, but most of those look more like free-flight models than representations of actual aircraft. Still hoping someone has more on this mystery racer....

I too am looking for Delanne information. In particular, a 3-view of the yellow aircraft on the cover of Air Trails 1950. It is a Delanne Four-seater, or possibly a Delanne D400. If you look @ the background, you can see the 3-view drawing as a blueprint negative. This is the 3-view I'm after. Has anyone seen this?

Attachments

• duowing01.jpg
    duowing01.jpg
    758.8 KB · Views: 310
Stargazer2006 said:
Justo,

Would you by chance have anything on Delanne's US fighter project of the early 1950s? I have searched the web and my books in vain... Pictures are attached, they are all I've seen about it. Thanks!

Would love to see a larger picture of that artist impression of the Model Delanna 16 J-A Stargazer2006- if possible ;)

Regards
Pioneer

Pioneer said:
Would love to see a larger picture of that artist impression of the Model Delanna 16 J-A Stargazer2006- if possible ;)

Well, you should ask Tailspin Turtle, he is the one who posted the image in the first place... ;)

Couch-pilot said:
I too am looking for Delanne information. In particular, a 3-view of the yellow aircraft on the cover of Air Trails 1950. It is a Delanne Four-seater, or possibly a Delanne D400. If you look @ the background, you can see the 3-view drawing as a blueprint negative. This is the 3-view I'm after. Has anyone seen this?

Hi,

anther artist drawing to Delanne D400.

Attachments

• delanne_fourseater_500x479.jpg
    delanne_fourseater_500x479.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 275
Very late answer to Couch-pilots question, sorry. I used the mentioned 3-view in the
background of the mag cover for a complete 3-view some years ago.
Thanks for reminding me to this, although that artist impression is just a different version
of the cover ! ;)

Attachments

• Delanne_4-seater.gif
    Delanne_4-seater.gif
    64.4 KB · Views: 543
Justo Miranda said:
Unknown project

It's Delanne DL-240,and I can add;

DL-230 was a tandem wing six-seat Project,powered by two 185 hp engines.

DL-240 was a tandem wing ten-seat Project,powered by two 500 hp engines.

DL-250 was a tandem wing four-seat Project,powered by one 220 hp engine.

http://archive.aviationweek.com/issue/19470401#!&pid=70

Attachments

• DL-250.png
    DL-250.png
    119.2 KB · Views: 460
  • DL-240 data.png
    DL-240 data.png
    126.4 KB · Views: 438
  • DL-230.png
    DL-230.png
    95.8 KB · Views: 478
  • DL-240   II.png
    DL-240 II.png
    483.9 KB · Views: 552
  • DL-240.png
    DL-240.png
    423.8 KB · Views: 612
Then this drawing shows the DL-240 ...
(Dimensions, proportions and details derived from the
pictures we had before, source grade ... 1.5 at best )

Attachments

• Delanne_10-seater_1945.gif
    Delanne_10-seater_1945.gif
    137.3 KB · Views: 264
hesham said:
It's Delanne DL-240,and I can add;
DL-230 was a tandem wing six-seat Project,powered by two 185 hp engines.
DL-240 was a tandem wing ten-seat Project,powered by two 500 hp engines.
DL-250 was a tandem wing four-seat Project,powered by one 220 hp engine.
http://archive.aviationweek.com/issue/19470401#!&pid=70

Why not post the whole article, instead of little bits of text?

Attachments

• AW 1947-04-01_p.70.jpg
    AW 1947-04-01_p.70.jpg
    561.1 KB · Views: 191
Original Westland blueprint of their F.124T project B

Attachments

• PJD310.jpg
    PJD310.jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 254
In the June issue 1961 of the Les Ailes magazine, I've found the Delanne D.1300,
a businees jet/light transport. Powered by two Turbomeca Marboré II engines,
it should have been able to reach a speed of up to 850 km/h, a service ceiling
of 12.000 km and a range of 1000 km.

The pages.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    615.9 KB · Views: 142
  • 2.png
    2.png
    458.4 KB · Views: 121
Hi,