Navantia F2M2 (Future Frigate Multi Mission)

Triton

Donald McKelvy
Reaction score
Website
deeptowild.blogspot.com
Navantia F2M2 (Future Frigate Multi Mission) concept on display at Euronaval 2010.

Sources:
http://www.zonamilitar.com.ar/foros/noticias-y-actualidad-de-las-fuerzas-navales/210-noticias-armada-espanola-31.html

http://www.fyjs.cn/bbs/htm_data/25/1011/284571.html

Attachments

• F2M2.jpg
    F2M2.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 1,689
  • 25_99726_e7afbf9c3b03c98.jpg
    25_99726_e7afbf9c3b03c98.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 1,504
  • 25_99726_cf33a60a7e8c195.jpg
    25_99726_cf33a60a7e8c195.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 1,420
Model of Navantia F-110 frigate for the Spanish Navy.

Source:
http://www.w54.biz/showthread.php?1372-Warship-Design/page5
http://www.zona-militar.com/foros/threads/ya-es-oficial-los-dos-contratos-australianos-para-navantia.6473/page-3

Attachments

• A4HBF42CEAAz6VU.jpg large.jpg
    A4HBF42CEAAz6VU.jpg large.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 1,029
  • F2M2-1.jpg
    F2M2-1.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 1,011
  • f2m2navantia.png
    f2m2navantia.png
    304 KB · Views: 236
LCS-2 with less junk in the trunk? Why go for less beam, if the major capability is the mission bay?

To be fair, the latest concept officially shown by the Spanish Navy are a bit more conservative...

140117_fragata-f110_armada02.jpg

Still shows a "espacio multimisión"/multifunction space which can be used to held specialized containers tailored to the planned mission. Note that the main gun is still "3/5in" but the design shows a Mk45 Mod 6, which seems to be what the Navy wants. The current Mod4 are refurbished US Navy surplus so it would still be a cheap option to get more ex US Navy mounts, if available, which can be upgraded to Mod 6 in the future.

Note the flight deck is capable to hand either the NH-90 or the SH-60, although the Navy would prefer the later. A small batch of stored SH-60F has been purchased to replace surviving SH-3s. These would be modified as transports and used as assault/cargo helicopters.

Problem is, the retirement of the SH-3s would mean the end for the AEW capability, with the SH-3 AEW currently enjoying a successful second life as long range surface search aircraft in the Horn of Africa after some years of inactivity after the cancellation of the HORUS program which was to replace the old Searchwater with a modern radar designed by Indra (and which seems to be still alive as a project).

I am attempting to put the pieces of this project together using Google Translate. Any additional information that you may have on this project Gorka L Martinez Mezo would be greatly appreciated. I have seen other F-110 concept artwork and I can't tell if these are legitimate or speculative.

I have seen other F-100 concept artwork

You mean F-110?

If you need translation from Spanish, just let me know ;)

Regards,

Antonio

The most up to date model is the one posted by Gorka.
Here, another image extracted from Tecnologia Militar magazine:
F-110_5_zps60f761f6.jpg

Regards

I'm going to go ahead and say that mast design is notional, 8 faces is a bit overkill even if most of those panels aren't radars.

I'm going to go ahead and say that mast design is notional, 8 faces is a bit overkill even if most of those panels aren't radars.

I think so too, although Navantia & Indra have created a joint venture for developing the "integrated mast/superstructure" and the goal is to insert as much sensors as possible.
Furthermore, there is some approach with CEA-Technologies as a potential supplier of hardware and knowledge for the radars (basic version of CEA-FAR has 6 faces)
Even so, I agree that 8 faces seems overkill.

Regards

F-110 design evolution?

Source:
http://www.shipbucket.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4856&start=10

Attachments

• F-110-1.jpg
    F-110-1.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 215
In fact, Indra is supposed to develop an new active array radar system for the F-110 class, which seems to me a bit of overkill. The mast would also house EW, datalink, comms, surface search radars and basically all the electronic gear for the ship.

The eight faces may be related to the need to hold everything and keep radar cross section low, but would also mean the main radar panels would be rather small affecting range.

has already clarified whether the F-110 gets SM or ESSM missiles or a mix of this?

The biggest reason for Trimaran designs (beyond the sci-fi aspects) is the larger amount of surface area to play around with, correct?

has already clarified whether the F-110 gets SM or ESSM missiles or a mix of this?

- ESSM seems for sure (Spain has signed the agreement for the ESSM Block-II development).
- SM, may be, though Spanish Armada doesn´t have lots of them. Considering that F-110 would have a less AAW biased combat system and only 2 or 3 8-cell VL modules, F-100 are the more convenient ship to take profit.
- Recently MBDA are strongly lobbying its CAMM like a triservice solution for the Spanish Armed Forces but (if bought) I understand that this would be a cheaper, local area defense, complement of the other two.
- Other solutions, like a navalized IRIS-T SL may be considered.

INDRA, with some aid from Lockheed, has a contract to develop a S-band active fixed array MFR. If this national solution does not give the expected results on time, off the shelf alternatives seem to be CEAFAR2 or TRS-4D/NR.

Some recent images, including SEA5000 proposal with the CEAFAR suite. Regards

Attachments

• F110_AltaResolucion.jpg
    F110_AltaResolucion.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 132
  • F-110_11.jpg
    F-110_11.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 130
  • F-110_10.jpg
    F-110_10.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 132
  • F-110_9.jpg
    F-110_9.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 128
  • F-110_6.jpg
    F-110_6.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 121
  • NAVANTIA_SEA5000_2.png
    NAVANTIA_SEA5000_2.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 152
Triton said:
F-110 design evolution?

Nope. The F-110 is simply the F-100 ship without AEGIS and a single gas turbine. The trimaran design would have been a concept study to keep their naval architect's pencils sharp until something more realizable came along.

Abraham Gubler said:
Nope. The F-110 is simply the F-100 ship without AEGIS and a single gas turbine. The trimaran design would have been a concept study to keep their naval architect's pencils sharp until something more realizable came along.
The trimaran was one of the design possibilities studied, but was rejected as it was the noisiest option, which isn't a good idea on an ASW ship.

The current design has hybrid propulsion with electric engines, the heaviest option but the quietest one.

jacob said:

- ESSM seems for sure (Spain has signed the agreement for the ESSM Block-II development).
- SM, may be, though Spanish Armada doesn´t have lots of them. Considering that F-110 would have a less AAW biased combat system and only 2 or 3 8-cell VL modules, F-100 are the more convenient ship to take profit.
- Recently MBDA are strongly lobbying its CAMM like a triservice solution for the Spanish Armed Forces but (if bought) I understand that this would be a cheaper, local area defense, complement of the other two.
- Other solutions, like a navalized IRIS-T SL may be considered.

INDRA, with some aid from Lockheed, has a contract to develop a S-band active fixed array MFR. If this national solution does not give the expected results on time, off the shelf alternatives seem to be CEAFAR2 or TRS-4D/NR.
The Spanish Navy requeriment includes capability against high/low altitude, pop up and very short range AShMs at medium and short ranges[/size] .... and theathre ballistic missiles. Given the tange of the ESSM block II, these could provide the medium/short range capability plus a smaller missile for local/short range capabilty like CAMM, but none of these could have any capability against BMDs.