Mysterious projects developed by Century Aero

Stargazer

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Century Aero's web page includes a list of projects whose development the company has been associated with.
http://www.centuryaero.com/acft.htm

Amidst a string of perfectly identified types, there are a few enigmatic designations as follows:

• American Aircraft Twin Yankee (a twin AA-1? did that one exist?)
  • Beech 3 Wing STOL (reminds me of the SCAT/ATTT but this had two wings only...)
  • Beech Beech OV-1 (related to the Grumman Mohawk?)
  • Beech PD-104
  • Boeing Model 170 Helicopter
    >>> probably the Boeing Vertol BV-170-544P V/STOL project
  • Boeing Model 217 Helocopter (sic!)
  • Boeing Model 900
    >>> likely the Boeing-Wichita Model 900 Tri-Service VTOL proposal
  • Boeing Navy STOL (could be just about anything I guess)
  • Boeing STEALTH (same remark)
  • Boeing VAX (same as the AX projects we know?)
  • Boeing XC5 (Boeing's proposal for CX-HLS, won by the C-5 Galaxy?)
  • Convair 125A (is that the WS-125A project, also known as the NX-2 nuclear bomber?)
  • Lear Jet Model 24
  • Menaso JPATS Model 422 (is that Menasco? and since when did they submit aircraft designs??)
    >>> probably the Teledyne Ryan 422 JPATS contender
  • North American Douglas C5 (strange!)
  • North American T-33 Turboprop
    >>> T-303 turboprop?
  • Rockwell Aerocommander 750 (never heard of that one)
Any suggestions are most welcome!

The website states the company has only been around since the early 90s. Maybe they are listing anything that anyone at the company has been involved with, but got a lot of the names and designations totally wrong.

I'd imagine that this is a summary of some of the projects that some of the key personnel, mostly aeronautical engineers, have been involved in over their careers.

The description on the website could be construed as being slightly misleading - These are certainly not projects that Century as a company would be responsible for developing.

Boeing VAX is a real "project" - 1962 supersonic A-4 replacement, Boeing submitted essentially a half-scale TFX.

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1487.0/highlight,vax.html

It looks like a list of every project and plane their designers have worked on in their career.

"Boeing XC5 (is this the C-5 modified as the QSRA?)"

I think you mean " is this the DHC-5 Buffalo, modified as the QSRA."

Although the idea of a C-5 Galaxy modified with upper surface blowing as a Quiet Short haul Research Aircraft does fascinate me.

jstar said:
"Boeing XC5 (is this the C-5 modified as the QSRA?)"
I think you mean " is this the DHC-5 Buffalo, modified as the QSRA."
Yeah, you're right. The DHC-5 was not the C-5, it was the C-8, and there was an XC-8A modification but that was not the QSRA.

jstar said:
Although the idea of a C-5 Galaxy modified with upper surface blowing as a Quiet Short haul Research Aircraft does fascinate me.
Did you see the topic I started a few weeks ago about all the VTOL C-5 models in the NASA archives? Some claim they picked that C-5 as a generic transport model... I don't know. But it sure looks good!

Stargazer2006 said:
Menaso JPATS Model 422 (is that Menasco? and since when did they submit aircraft designs??)

There was a Model 422 JPATS contender (that did not participate in the final round) and it was Teledyne Ryan Aeronautical.
It was powered by two TFE109. I don't believe Teledyne ever made that information public, this might explain the phony name unless it is a simple error.

The North American turboprop is the T-303.

--Luc

Machdiamond said:
Stargazer2006 said:
Menaso JPATS Model 422 (is that Menasco? and since when did they submit aircraft designs??)

There was a Model 422 JPATS contender (that did not participate in the final round) and it was Teledyne Ryan Aeronautical.
It was powered by two TFE109. I don't believe Teledyne ever made that information public, this might explain the phony name unless it is a simple error.

Wow! I'd love to see that one... Thanks for the info. I'll update the initial post with the new information.

Found mention of a "1980 Boeing -217 ADV Commercial Jet Aircraft" on the web, but don't know what it's supposed to be...