Sikorsky Flying Cranes S-60 to S-64

jstar

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Anyone have any good 3 views of the Sikorsky S-60?

That's the son of the S-56 (Ch-37) and the father of the S-64 (CH-54), only one built, that flew between '59 and '61.

Please, not the H-60 Blackhawk (S-70)

Thanks

Joe

I search for pictures S-60 on the earth at whom to eat I ask to lay out a photo or the address. Thanks.

mil said:
I search for pictures S-60 on the earth at whom to eat I ask to lay out a photo or the address. Thanks.

I might have something in old magazines but I can't access them at the moment and have no scanner.

The only picture of the S-60 you will find online showing it on the ground is the following. It shows what remains of the forward fuselage...

Attachments

• 0569663.jpg
    0569663.jpg
    893.5 KB · Views: 508
LowObservable said:
That looks like the front to me unless it's a really strange design...

Ha ha! Silly me! Of course aft = rear. What was I thinking of?! Thanks, I've corrected the mistake!

Thank you, Stargazer, I do have that one already. There are perhaps four pictures that I can find on the Internet, but they get used over,and over,and...

If you do have a 3 view, I will be forever in your debt.

Joe

jstar said:
Thank you, Stargazer, I do have that one already. There are perhaps four pictures that I can find on the Internet, but they get used over,and over,and...

If you do have a 3 view, I will be forever in your debt.

Joe

Not sure. I'll have to go through my magazine collection, which at present time is still boxed in the basement since our latest change of houses. At the very least I ought to be able to retrieve a couple of pics that are not the three or four you've mentioned, which are indeed to be found all over the place...

From an issue of "Der Flieger", bad quality scan, sorry..

Attachments

• S-60.jpg
    S-60.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 470
I wanted to have pictures S-60 from old magazines on parking of airdrome or at exhibitions that it stood the chassis on the earth, as for example here http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Airplane-Photo-B375-SIKORSKY-S-60-FLYING-CRANE-/130402473880?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e5c97d798

From Green/Punnett "Observers Book Of Aircraft, 1961" :

Attachments

• Sikorsky_S-60_01.jpg
    Sikorsky_S-60_01.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 451
mil said:
I wanted to have pictures S-60 from old magazines on parking of airdrome or at exhibitions that it stood the chassis on the earth, as for example here http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Airplane-Photo-B375-SIKORSKY-S-60-FLYING-CRANE-/130402473880?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e5c97d798

Very nice. I've enlarged and enhanced the picture. Enjoy!

Attachments

• Vintage Airplane Photo B375 enhanced.jpg
    Vintage Airplane Photo B375 enhanced.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 484
Great pictures. Still looking for a good three view, but did find a good side profile and front view in 'Skycrane: Igor Sikorsky's Last Vision' by John A.Mckenna.

Probably the only book ever written on the 'Crane. See also the reviews in the 'Bookshelf and Marketplace' section here.

If only they had included a top view........ and at least mentioned when and why the decision was made to enlarge the aft portion of the cabin to the way it is now, vs. the half cylinder as modeled by Revell and Aurora. Fig 3.2 notes a MWO that revises extra crewman seating, but nothing in the body of the text addresses it.

But don't let this stop you from reading it, and if you DO come across a decent 3 view, let me know.

found this over on 'Sport Helicopter & Pilot'. The author was Norman B. Dare,Chief of Procurement and Production in the Heavy Lift Transportation Project Office, US Army Aaviation Systems Command, St.
Louis

" Luckily Sikorsky had a few CH-37 transmissions, which are the same as the CH-54, on hand so that production flow was much shorter. Half way through this production run of 6 the Army held a design review at Sikorsky prior to the second buy of 12 aircraft. This design review resulted in the modification of the rear cylinder shaped aft facing pilot canopy and the extention of the aft portion of the cabin area to form what was then called the "rear porch". It allowed for more space in the cabin pod for movement and storage. "

So now, at least, I know when that happened.

Whether there are color pictures or photo S-60
In book SKYCRANE: Igor Sikorsky's Last Vision
John A. McKenna
Also it is possible to lay out them on a site.

Not a three-view, but a profile taken from the 1961 edition of the Toppings Models catalog.
Interestingly, the engines are different from the actual aircraft, and the tail does not yet sport the characteristic triangular extension underneath, which probably indicates how the S-60 was supposed to look like in the early stages.

Attachments

• profile.jpg
    profile.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 492
I think this may be an intermediate.. a design in-between the piston engined S-60 and the turbine powered S-64. The Cabin (and note the nosewheel now) and main landing gear look an awful lot like that of the S-64, and the engines look like they might be turbines vs. piston. Probably the design evolved further to install the engines on the top of the boom,eliminating a lot of cross shafting, and finally resulted in the S-64 as we know it now.

jstar said:
Great pictures. Still looking for a good three view, but did find a good side profile and front view in 'Skycrane: Igor Sikorsky's Last Vision' by John A.Mckenna.

Probably the only book ever written on the 'Crane. See also the reviews in the 'Bookshelf and Marketplace' section here.

It's the only one that I know of. A year and a half ago I went to the Sikorsky archives because I was thinking about writing a book on the crane. They told me about McKenna's book and the possibility of an "In Action" book from Squadron/Signal. I decided to put my book idea on hold until after McKenna's came out because he was one of the guys who built it and would know much more than I could figure out. I figured that I could try to pick up more than his covered, such as the firefighting service and Erickson's work to build new cranes. The Squadron/Signal book has not come out yet and I don't know the status. I have managed to get a lot of good pictures of the Tahre in Vietnam, but haven't gone looking for post-Vietnam Army and National Guard service photos. There were some good pictures by Rene Francillion in World Air Power in the 1990s.

An attempt with the available material about the S-60 and about the S-56.
Many details are still not clear, such as the cross section of the cabin. So, if
someone has more information, I'm grateful and if someone found a ready-made
3-view in a book or magazine, it's time to post it now ! ;D

Attachments

• S-60.gif
    S-60.gif
    78.4 KB · Views: 312
I received these pictures incorporated in an email, hence their small size. I did ask if it would possible to rescan and send the 3-view as an attachment, but have not received a reply yet.

Is their anyone reading these posts who lives in Connecticut? And could maybe visit the museum?

Attachments

• Sikorsky S-60.jpg
    Sikorsky S-60.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 931
  • Sikorsky S-601.jpg
    Sikorsky S-601.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 906
  • Sikorsky S-602.jpg
    Sikorsky S-602.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 900
Are these guys planning to salvage the prototype for a museum or something? That would be cool!

I believe the Connecticut Air and Space Museum plan to restore it, and yes, that would be cool.

Some more photos from InterAvia N° 2, 1960:

Attachments

• S-60_13.gif
    S-60_13.gif
    214.6 KB · Views: 169
  • S-60_12.gif
    S-60_12.gif
    267.6 KB · Views: 176
  • S-60_11.gif
    S-60_11.gif
    251.9 KB · Views: 211
Wonderful pics, Jemiba! Does the vertical line across these scans result from a fault in the scanner you used, or were they a fold in the original magazine?

Those photos were placed one below the other in the mag and on a
number of pages there's a kink, I couldn't iron out completly, sorry. :-\

During the last weeks I obtained a few old issues of German magazine "FliegerRevue Extra".
The issue 24 from 2009 shows a S-60 carrying a S-58.

Attachments

• S_60_FRXTRA_24_2009_page71_snap.jpg
    S_60_FRXTRA_24_2009_page71_snap.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 215
Thanks, very good pictures if still to eat would like to look. Thanks

Here are my 2c from my old CD. I cannot identify source though.

Attachments

• Sikorsky_S60_0001.jpg
    Sikorsky_S60_0001.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 154
Without a doubt this is from the French weekly Aviation Magazine. My dad has this in his collection but unfortunately we're not exactly in good terms these days, so it will be hard checking what the exact issue is for now.

Hi All -

Here's some photos regarding the S-60 which will be restored:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cherrybomb13/5293933632/in/photostream/

There's a lot of work to do....

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Great link, thank you very much indeed !
One question I came about when seeing those photos: Did the S-60 use
the original retractable landing gear of the S-56 ? The photos of the engine
nacelles show it retracted, but I never saw photos of the S-60 with the gear up.

From the 'Big Deuce' site :-

http://www.big-deuce.de/d_pic12.htm

"S-60 Skycrane

The S-60 was developed as a research vehicle to determine the feasibility of the crane helicopter concept. The basic approach is to design a helicopter to carry external loads only. The conventional fuselage can deleted and only the minimum structure needed to hold the aircraft together substituted, thereby reducing empty weight and increasing payload. The S-60 used the dynamic components (engines, gearboxes, main rotor, tail rotor) of the S-56 installed on a skeleton fuselage. The most notable feature was a swiveling pilot's seat that allowed him to turn 180 degrees to face the load and operate the aircraft with a second set of controls. An aft facing window gave a good view of the load.
Only one was built and it made its first flight on March 25, 1959. The S-60 crashed April 3, 1961 and the remains are stored at the New England Air Museum in Windsor Locks, Connecticut, USA."

cheers,
Robin.

Attachments

• S-60 - d_pic12.png
    S-60 - d_pic12.png
    875.3 KB · Views: 527

Attachments

• 5293859662_4e99bba4e5_b.jpg
    5293859662_4e99bba4e5_b.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 80
  • 5293859242_1bc6e7792b_b.jpg
    5293859242_1bc6e7792b_b.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 76
  • 5293263903_ffe497ea80_b.jpg
    5293263903_ffe497ea80_b.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 348
  • 5293264349_a553aac428_b.jpg
    5293264349_a553aac428_b.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 367
  • 5293858920_d704fb1d7a_b.jpg
    5293858920_d704fb1d7a_b.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 384
  • 6268L.jpg
    6268L.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 406
Dear Boys and Girls, here is a cover feature in French on the Sikorsky S-60 flying-crane helicopter prototype……

As the Sikorsky S-60 is quite clearly flying in both pictures; can it really be a "project"?

The feature comes from the 2nd May 1959 issue of Les Ailes......

Terry (Caravellarella)

Attachments

• Sikorsky S-60 flying crane helicopter prototype - Les Ailes - No. 1,727 - 2 Mai 1959.......jpg
    Sikorsky S-60 flying crane helicopter prototype - Les Ailes - No. 1,727 - 2 Mai 1959.......jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 57
Tinsley, Frank "Workhorses of the Sky" Mechanix Illustrated September 1959

Source:
http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/2011/03/s-60-in-mechanix-illustrated-september.html

Attachments

• S-60_pg.5(small).jpg
    S-60_pg.5(small).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 97
  • S-60_pg.6(small).jpg
    S-60_pg.6(small).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 75
  • S-60_pg.7(small).jpg
    S-60_pg.7(small).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 62
A three-view that wasn't posted here before:

Attachments