Project Terminated - The Inside Story of Famous Military Cancellations

edwest4

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Aviation Might Have Beens - The Inside Story of Famous Military Proposals & Cancellations 1945-1990, by Erik Simonsen. Scheduled for April 2011 from Specialty Press.

Usual disclaimer,
Ed

Aviation's Might Have Beens: The Inside Story of Famous Military Proposals & Cancellations 1945-1990 [Hardcover]
Erik Simonsen (Author)

Product Details

* Hardcover: 160 pages
* Publisher: Specialty Pr Pub & Wholesalers (April 15, 2011)
* Language: English
* ISBN-10: 1580071570
* ISBN-13: 978-1580071574

Here's a first look at the cover art; I'm sure that a larger version will be forthcoming fairly soon:

Attachments

• Aviation's Might Have Beens.jpg
    Aviation's Might Have Beens.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 2,054
Unlike some of the other cancelled Specialty Press announcements, this one has not appeared on anyone else's website. Does anyone know its status?

gatoraptor said:
Unlike some of the other cancelled Specialty Press announcements, this one has not appeared on anyone else's website. Does anyone know its status?

Any word on the fate of this book? It looks like a great book.

Although I prefer the 'older' cover, I too will definitely buy it. Looks terrific.

Does the author thoroughly explore the decision process leading to the cancellations ? or is it just a "whatif" book full of glossy colour profiles ? (I'd like both approaches, incidentally - no critic)

Sure, the Sandys - Black Friday - TSR-2 trio of cancellations, although rather unrelated, always puzzled me.

Anyone know if Crecy picked up the second volume of Convair Advanced Designs ?

A larger image of the new cover, from Crecy's website:

Attachments

• ProjectTerminated sm.jpg
    ProjectTerminated sm.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 865
Apparently this book will be released on this side of the pond on August 31, unless it isn't (Amazon says different things

Eric Simonsen

The Inside Story of Famous Military Cancellations 1945-1990

•First book of its kind depicting cancelled aircraft designs in military colours.
•From the Cold War to 1990.
•Accurate reconstructions of how the aircraft would have appeared had they actually gone into production.

Throughout aerospace history, production contracts for military aircraft programs have been awarded and then cancelled as political, technological, and operational dictates mandated. Many legendary airplanes like the Northrop YB-49 Flying Wing, the Canadian CF-105 Arrow, and the Mach 3 Lockheed YF-12 Interceptor were actually built and flown successfully before being cancelled. Others, such as the North American F-108 Rapier, never made it past the mock-up stage. This book shows, for the very first time, what might have happened had these cancelled designs, often fraught with corporate politics and industrial intrigue, actually entered production and operational service.

Exclusively illustrated with the author's own high-impact images, these famous military cancelled projects spring to life.

Mmm...possibly better addressed to Whatifers?. Seems related to well known unbuilt projects than unveiling new information or previously unknown designs.

Does anyone know if this one has actually been published? Amazon.uk seems to imply that the book has been published but is out of stock, while Amazon.co claims the book is "out of print", which is rather silly.

I've been checking for this book with two of the larger U.S.-based book distributors (Ingram and Baker & Taylor) since it was announced. I've just checked again before posting this, and they both still have it listed as "Not Yet Available", but with a publication date of August 1st, 2012. It's not listed as out of stock, or out of print. So perhaps just delayed.

From Specialty Press:

AVAILABLE OCTOBER 2012!

8.5 x 11"
160 pages
200 color and 25 black & white photos
Hardcover
ISBN: 9780859791731
Item #AD173

ID #: AD173
Price: $39.95

Source:
http://www.specialtypress.com/vstore/showdetl.cfm?DID=8&Product_ID=2517&CATID=1

Could this title be too esoteric for the likes of Ingram and Baker & Taylor?

Hi

I don't know what the delay is but it is frustrating as I cancelled the Amazon order and ordered directly from Crecy Publishing and although it is listed in their current catalogue I still haven't received it. What makes it even worse is that as I ordered from Amazon early on the price would have been £16 but the Crecy price is £26 and in the meantime the Amazon price has also increased, D'oh!

Alan

I received my copy directly from Crecy today, very nice book, superb paper quality and was very pleased that it had good coverage of TSR2 in addition to the US aircraft and Canadian Arrow, I haven't had a chance to read much of it yet but like what I've seen so far.

Alan

Agreed. It's nice to see an American author include coverage of foreign aircraft, especially those. I received my copy of the book today and just flipped through the pages. Excellent graphic illustrations, a who's who list of contributors and an interesting approach that goes beyond the usual nuts and bolts. This will be a fascinating read.

I received my copy yesterday.
Agree with the others!
Nice artwork!
In fact the 2 F-108's zoom climbing together on pg 56 is just awesome!!
Erik should have a web site where he sells some of these! I'd buy them.
Also perhaps where he can enlarge some of the art that was pictured in
the book

Erik has also worked in the industry and has insights about some of these
projects from himself and other industry insiders as well. So very interesting!

Does anyone have a PDF of the table of contents from "Project Terminated"? I was just checking because so much literature has been written on the YF-12, XB-70, YB-49, and CF-105 but not the F-108, and it would be wasteful to have another book listing the cancelled military planes that did fly but were cancelled before they could enter production.

More pics now out there from the AWST site.

Attachments

• Erik2.jpg
    Erik2.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 196
  • FV-12A USN (2).jpg
    FV-12A USN (2).jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 194
  • RB-49A Head-On (2).jpg
    RB-49A Head-On (2).jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 193
  • F-103As (2).jpg
    F-103As (2).jpg