Rockwell TAV Drawings

archipeppe

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Hi Folks, here it is my personal contribution about the matter treated in this post:

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,10317.msg105466.html#new

Enjoy them!!

Attachments

• VTO.jpg
    VTO.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 559
  • Rockwell Int. TAV_01.jpg
    Rockwell Int. TAV_01.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 501
  • Rockwell Int. TAV_02.jpg
    Rockwell Int. TAV_02.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 491
Jesus Christ
it that a Shuttle SRB on the TAV rides in to space ?!

Michel Van said:
Jesus Christ
it that a Shuttle SRB on the TAV rides in to space ?!

That's just a JATO bottle, they trialed those things on lots of planes. ;D

Great drawings archipeppe! The Rockwell MRCC concept really fascinates me, as do the McDonnell-Douglas toss-back and the little bit similar NPO Molniya sub-orbital interceptor. Too bad there isn't much information available on them (and no pics of the last one at all).

Surfing on the net I found this other image of the MRCC, it seems to be rather different respect the other only two images available. First of all it represents a single seat vehicle (shorter than the two seat??) and it seems to lack air breathing engines replaced with two conventional rocket engines.

Why these differences?

Attachments

• TAV1.jpg
    TAV1.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 293
there were many variations of external shapes during project progress

The MRCC was a multi-purpose aerospace vehicle, with some missions being orbital, some being on-the-deck atmospheric cruises. For these wildly different missions, wildly different proulsion systems would be used. The airframe was to be built so that the turbojets could be easily removed, and replaced with self-contained liquid rocket propulsion systems. Somewhat like the bomb bay on the A-5 Vigilante.

bagera3005 said:
how about the piggy back lunch from 747 or anther bird

Wouldn't buy anything. It'd be like launching an F-111 off the back of a 747: it'd be better to just in-flight refuel, which the MRCC was to be capable of.

The MRCC was designed for orbital missions, launched from within a Shuttle bay; or sub-orbital/global range missions launched off the side of a Shuttle SRB (exoatmospheric boost, hypersonic glide, and cruise on turbofans), or orbital missions launched off the side of a Shuttle SRB (with no turbofans, replace with rocket propellant).

Archipeppe,

Beautiful work. Your drawings always bring the vehicles to life.

The TAV/SRB vehicle would be an incredible ride...now THAT is rock and roll.

Awaiting your next drawings...

Steve Austin

SAustin16 said:
Archipeppe,

Beautiful work. Your drawings always bring the vehicles to life.

The TAV/SRB vehicle would be an incredible ride...now THAT is rock and roll.

Awaiting your next drawings...

Steve Austin

Many thanks Steve for your kind words.
Next drawings I will try the single seat, rocket engines, version.

As promised earlier here it is the MRCC single seat orbital version.
Enjoy it :D...

Attachments

• Rockwell Int. MRCC Single seat.jpg
    Rockwell Int. MRCC Single seat.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 353
BTW I have a question: what are those vans clearly visible on the top of the fuselage (I've highlined in red)?
Could they be some sort of covers for retractable landing fins like the FDL series??

Attachments

• Rockwell Int. MRCC comparison.jpg
    Rockwell Int. MRCC comparison.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 175
archipeppe said:
what are those vans clearly visible on the top of the fuselage

"Vans?"

Could they be some sort of covers for retractable landing fins like the FDL series??

Yes. The MRCC had flip-out canards for low speed stability and control.

FYI: the same airframe was to be able to fulfill all the missions, so all the same panel lines and such would be there.

archipeppe said:
Orionblamblam said:

Emhhhh..... sometimes my English fails..... ;D

You and me both, brother. I'm just unclear what the derivation os "van" in this context is. What's shown in red are the small doors that covered the canards during high speed flight. Is "van" an Italian word for "door?"

In Spanish there is a word which is "vanos" that translates as "openings". I think it is originated from the Latin language.Peppe, are you refering to a similar word in Italian?.

pometablava said:
In Spanish there is a word which is "vanos" that translates as "openings". I think it is originated from the Latin language.Peppe, are you refering to a similar word in Italian?.

Actually it is more Latin than Italian. In Italian "doors" is translated in "porte" that match with anything in other languages (neo Latin or not). BTW the red "hatches" in the MRCC would be translated as "portelli" that is more aeronautic slang.

Sorry for the linguistic OT....

No problem, I love Languages as much as Aerospace history.

I'm curious, what sort of weapons were they intending on employing from it? I'd also be curious if there were ever any hard spec estimates, payload capability, weight, dimensions etc. There is just something intriguing about this design, its unfortunate there isn't more information out there.. Or I'm not looking in the right places. :p

RobertWL said:
I'm curious, what sort of weapons were they intending on employing from it?

Nukes, mostly. SRAM, that sort of thing.

I'd also be curious if there were ever any hard spec estimates, payload capability, weight, dimensions etc.

Yes, there were.

There is just something intriguing about this design, its unfortunate there isn't more information out there.. Or I'm not looking in the right places. :p

If you're not looking in my files, you're not looking in the right place. I've got a fair pile on the MRCC, but haven't really figured out what to do with it yet. I have an idea, though.

pometablava said:

In French we say "ouvrir les vannes", which means to release the water contained by a dam or a lock on a canal. I believe the word "vanes" in English comes from this, and yes, all of these words mean pretty much the same regardless of the language: "openings".

Orionblamblam said:
RobertWL said:
I'm curious, what sort of weapons were they intending on employing from it?

Nukes, mostly. SRAM, that sort of thing.

I'd also be curious if there were ever any hard spec estimates, payload capability, weight, dimensions etc.

Yes, there were.

There is just something intriguing about this design, its unfortunate there isn't more information out there.. Or I'm not looking in the right places. :p

If you're not looking in my files, you're not looking in the right place. I've got a fair pile on the MRCC, but haven't really figured out what to do with it yet. I have an idea, though.

Heh heh, I had a feeling if anyone had such things, It'd be you. I can't recall seeing any mention in your store front. Though, I might be going senile.. which is a distinct possibility.

RobertWL said:
I can't recall seeing any mention in your store front.

There is no such mention. I've been sitting on these things for a number of years; my initial plan was to unleash 'em with my "US Bomber Projects" book, but that's pretty much abandoned now. However, I think I've got a good idea...

Whew! Then my sanity is safe.. for the moment!

A plan? Well that's good, I'd be curious to see what you have stored away on this subject. Add that to the buying spree I need to carry out on your site.