Register here

Author Topic: New Darpa Program - T3 Triple Target Terminator ?  (Read 20080 times)

Offline sferrin

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: New Darpa Program - T3 Triple Target Terminator ?
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2015, 12:55:11 pm »
Fixed the second image.  For the first photo, the large launch signature is a consequence of a single pyrotechnic charge that ignites both the boost and the sustainer (gas generator) at launch. The sooty exhaust coming out of the Coyote is as a result of unreacted polystyrene beads from the gas generator. Believe it or not, the understanding of two-stage combustion in ducted rocket ramjets is still a work in progress :)

I'd hope Meteor doesn't trail an F-4 Phantom-like smoke trail like Coyote.   ;D  (I'd have never guessed plastic beads though I know ABS is popular with the hybrid rocketry crowd. I'd have expected something more exotic.)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 01:46:54 pm by sferrin »
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline Ian33

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2015, 05:33:00 pm »
Video of Meteor missile firing test.

Hope this adds

Resident know nothing and Dale Brown reader... Feel free to help me graduate from crayons!

Offline bring_it_on

• I really should change my personal text
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2015, 04:39:02 am »
Fixed the second image.  For the first photo, the large launch signature is a consequence of a single pyrotechnic charge that ignites both the boost and the sustainer (gas generator) at launch. The sooty exhaust coming out of the Coyote is as a result of unreacted polystyrene beads from the gas generator. Believe it or not, the understanding of two-stage combustion in ducted rocket ramjets is still a work in progress :)

I'd hope Meteor doesn't trail an F-4 Phantom-like smoke trail like Coyote.   ;D  (I'd have never guessed plastic beads though I know ABS is popular with the hybrid rocketry crowd. I'd have expected something more exotic.)

http://www.rocket.com/article/aerojet-successfully-demonstrates-next-generation-solid-ramjet-fuel

Boeing has (partially) confirmed what was disclosed in the budgetary documents posted above. Curious
about Raytheon's version.

http://aviationweek.com/paris-air-show-2015/boeing-phantom-works-may-unveil-new-projects

However, not all the Phantom Works’ projects directly involve aircraft. Davis also disclosed that the Phantoms had conducted four flight tests under the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency's Triple Target Terminator (T3) program. The test vehicles, about the size of an AIM-120 Advanced Medium Range Air-to-Air Missile, flew "faster and farther" than an Amraam, Davis said, but he did not provide any other details.

Aviation Week and Sweetman reported on this portion in May as well ;)

ST. LOUIS—Boeing conducted four flight tests under the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency’s (Darpa) Triple Target Terminator (T3) program, Boeing Phantom Works President Darryl Davis said here May 18. 
The test vehicles, about the size of an AIM-120 Advanced Medium-Range Air-to-Air Missile (Amraam), flew “faster and farther” than an Amraam, Davis said, but he did not provide any other details.

Darpa issued T3 contracts to Boeing and Raytheon in 2010, with the aim of demonstrating technology for a single weapon type that could function as an anti-radar missile, an air-to-air Amraam replacement and a cruise-missile defense weapon. The program has now been concluded, but the Navy now plans to develop a longer-range version of its AGM-88E Advanced Anti-Radiation Guided Missile.

Davis also said Boeing will unveil some previously undisclosed Phantom Works programs “in the next month or two,” and that these will be separate from the unit’s work with Saab on the T-X program.

http://aviationweek.com/awin-only/boeing-discloses-advanced-missile-tests-will-unveil-other-programs
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 05:19:13 am by bring_it_on »
Old radar types never die; they just phased array - Unknown

Offline bring_it_on

• I really should change my personal text
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2017, 11:22:15 am »
With all of the F-35’s technical issues aside, the fifth-generation aircraft will still fly with fourth-generation missiles. Lockheed designed it to accommodate Raytheon’s AIM-120 AMRAAM, but Carlisle wants a combination air-to-air and air-to-ground missile that can offer greater range for the aircraft.

“Range is a big factor if you look at our potential adversaries with things like the [Chinese] PL-15,” he says. “I think it needs to be multiband, broad spectrum – which aids it in survivability and reaching the target.”

Carlisle sees the missile fielded across a spectrum of platforms, from fourth-generation aircraft to a future penetrating counterair platform and Northrop’s B-21 bomber. He also believes technology will enable the USAF to achieve greater range within the current size and configuration for the F-35.

“I can’t comment a lot on where we’re going to go with what we’re developing on technology, but I will tell you that we worked hard,” he says. “I think with the engine and motor technology for weapons we can get range, depending on what kind of profile and motor we use.”

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/interview-air-combat-command-chief-prepares-for-dep-433977/
Old radar types never die; they just phased array - Unknown