FGG-3 Darque Sol: a lenticular rocket that really flies

Stargazer

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
The FGG-3 Darque Sol is a lenticular (saucer shaped) rocket a 36" x 6" fiberglass shell molded from a foam core, named after Tripoli Pittsburgh founder Francis Glenn Graham. Powered by an L-780 engine, it was flown (read: boosted) successfully on April 18th, 2009, with its orientation perpendicular to the direction of flight. The motor mount is on its edge and it recovers with rear ejection from 2 tubes mounted in parallel to the motor mount. Unlike Convair's Pye Wacket project of 1957 (WS-740A), designed for supersonic and hypersonic operation from a B-70 bomber, Darque Sol is not intended to transition but to remain subsonic in flight.

A lot more information and pictures on this site:
http://www.rimworld.com/dsp/darquesol.html

dsbt03.jpg

Your pizza in 30 mins or it's free?

Seriously though, interesting concept, never seen this before. Increased payload being the main benefit?

Nice proof of concept. But what I miss is some purpose. After reading their web it seems to me, that their only goal was to prove, if that concept can work, but without any meaningful use in the future.

I see the original PYE WACKET test site is still operational. Owned by Goodrich these days.
A quick and dirty history of the site can be found here.

Attachments

• HurricaneMesa_UT_93.jpg
    HurricaneMesa_UT_93.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 158