Temco ASM-N-8 Corvus

Stargazer

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
A missile project by Convair (apparently with Temco) which I have never heard before:

http://crgis.ndc.nasa.gov/historic/1251_Models_A-C#Project_31

Why the name "Fenice" associated to the project? I have no idea, but it sure sounds like a strange name for a missile.

[Edited to correct URL after NASA changes - Admin]

Attachments

• LAL_57-1488.jpg
    LAL_57-1488.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 342
  • LAL_57-1489.jpg
    LAL_57-1489.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 315
  • LAL_57-1490.jpg
    LAL_57-1490.jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 293
  • LAL_57-1663_and_LAL_57-1664.jpg
    LAL_57-1663_and_LAL_57-1664.jpg
    481.3 KB · Views: 278
Could "Fenice" have been a mistranscription of "Phoenix"?? I know it's different from the Phoenix missile, but it could have been a competing design. Just a thought.

I believe it's a model of the Temco ASM-N-8 Corvus. In fact, I'm pretty sure of it:
http://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/app1/asm-n-8.html
xasm-n-8.jpg

Tailspin Turtle said:
I figured you were good for connecting the dots between Fenice and Corvus...

Fenice is, I think, Italian for "Phoenix," while Corvus is Latin for "raven." Apart from that, I got nuthin'. Given the vaguaries of the NACA images and their naming and backup data, "Fenice" could jsut as easily have been the name of the primary investigator for these tests.

If one was to write "Corvus" in cursive (badly), I would imagine it likely that a later reader could guesstimate "Convair"...

On "Fenice" - I've got nut'in - unless you write "Temco" (again, sloppily in cursive) and squint really hard...

Looking at some of the Tunnel Log Book pages that are posted...this may not be too unlikely.

They really need to enable commenting, cos there's a whole bunch of errors we could help them fix :)

Ohmygod, NASA letting a BUNCH of internetters HELPING them correcting their mistakes ??? NASA doesn't do mistakes, only has different opinions of the reality.

I've just come across this Corvus missile for the first time in one of my favourite books The Illustrated Encyclopaedia of the Worlds Rockets & Missiles by Bill Gunston!It states that it was intended to be the primary weapon of the Douglas A4D Skyhawk! So a little search on the web and I found the following ......

Regards
Pioneer

Attachments

• 3-view drawing of Douglas A4D-2 Skyhawk with two of the cancelled Temco ASM-N-8 Corvus ASM's.PNG
    3-view drawing of Douglas A4D-2 Skyhawk with two of the cancelled Temco ASM-N-8 Corvus ASM's.PNG
    155.3 KB · Views: 227
  • Preparations for test launch of Temco ASM-N-8 Corvus ASM at China Lake in 1958.jpg
    Preparations for test launch of Temco ASM-N-8 Corvus ASM at China Lake in 1958.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
Here are some color shifted and airbrushed images of a Corvus launch at White Sands Missile Range.
VAHF archive

bill

Attachments

• Corvus-Launch-WSMR-VAHF-4.jpg
    Corvus-Launch-WSMR-VAHF-4.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 55
  • Corvus-Launch-WSMR-VAHF-3.jpg
    Corvus-Launch-WSMR-VAHF-3.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 57
  • Corvus-Launch-WSMR-VAHF-2.jpg
    Corvus-Launch-WSMR-VAHF-2.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Corvus-Launch-WSMR-VAHF-1.jpg
    Corvus-Launch-WSMR-VAHF-1.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 57

Attachments

• Corvus-1.jpg
    Corvus-1.jpg
    706.7 KB · Views: 82
  • Corvus-2.jpg
    Corvus-2.jpg
    643.3 KB · Views: 80
  • Corvus-3.jpg
    Corvus-3.jpg
    835.2 KB · Views: 83
  • Corvus-4.jpg
    Corvus-4.jpg
    401.9 KB · Views: 83
  • Corvus-5.jpg
    Corvus-5.jpg
    361.3 KB · Views: 96
  • Corvus-6.jpg
    Corvus-6.jpg
    710.2 KB · Views: 88
  • Corvus-7.jpg
    Corvus-7.jpg
    876.4 KB · Views: 77
In Vought Aeronautics report AER-E1R-TIA-2 26OCT61
It discusses a Target Identification and Acquisition (TIA) subsystem for the B-70.

The system "is basically a passive Electronic Intelligence (ELINT) device having
inherent capabilities for rapid display of information on multiple types and patterns
of communication and radar emitters."

Towards the end of the report is shows a CORVUS Azimuth display, CORVUS RF/PRF-
Tuning panel, and an CORVUS armament panel. In the notes it states that a B-52
installation could have an additional CORVUS Armament panel.

bill