Northrop N-6 fighter project from NACA

Great find. Are you positive about identification? "Project 6" could very well be Northrop Model N-6, described as a "single-engined interceptor/fighter project for U.S. Navy", but we need to be sure.

Mentioned as the N-6 in MiniDocavia 21
'Les Avions et Engins Northrop' by A. Pelletier - p.51 photo of the same model
with nosewheel undercarriage

Hesham, your link says the picture (windtunnel model) is dated May 1942. Could this have been considered for the pusher program that led to XP-54 (twin-boom), XP-55 (canard), XP-56 (tailless)? this N-6 would add another layout (aft of a normal tail)... Great find yes!

I think you are right my dear Tophe,

that is because in R-40C competition,that was 50 projects
and aircraft submitted to this tender,and may be the N.6
was one of them.

Again a great finding hesham, specially for me, since I'm an American pre-1945 project lover.

Thanks to Lark's post I noted some details from Minidocavia's N-6 entry:

No references about being a naval fighter design.

Design is dated 1941: should be a bit late, according to my sources, to consider it an R40-C entry. R40-C was issued in late 1939 with winning design scheduled to enter fighting units by 1942. You can find the 50 entries listed at American Secret Pusher Fighters of World War II by Gerald H Balzer page 15.

http://www.specialtypress.com/vstore/showdetl.cfm?DID=8&Product_ID=1847&CATID=1

Northrop submited 5 entries, all based in the N-2 design which became the XP-56.

The N-6 photo in Minidocavia is credited to Mr Balzer, but curiously this design is not included in his "Pusher Fighters" book.

So, anyone can email Mr Balzer and ask about Northrop N-6?. I'll see what I can do...

stay tuned ;)

Very , very interesting. Thanks hesham for spot this one.

Which is the scale of this kind of wind tunnel models ? We've here ruler in inches so we can calculate some measures.

Regards
Luis

Wow
If I did not know better, I would say that Northrop N-6 was strongly influenced by the Douglas XB-42 Mixmaster or the other way around.
Didn't Jack Northrop start at Douglas?

Regards Pioneer

Pioneer said:
Wow
If I did not know better, I would say that Northrop N-6 was strongly influenced by the Douglas XB-42 Mixmaster or the other way around.
Didn't Jack Northrop start at Douglas?

Regards Pioneer

Northrop's first self-named company was purchased by Douglas and became the El Segundo division. However, the N-6 was designed under Northrop SECOND eponymous company, independently from Douglas.

Jack Northrop did not start at Douglas. He worked there during the 1930s and several of the Douglas milestone designs were the result of Northrop's genius, not the other way around. Prior to his time at Douglas, he had designed the Northrop Alpha to Gamma series which were pioneering all metal aircraft designs. He had also earlier built a flying wing design (with tail) and also happened to design the Lockheed Vega. Absolutely one of the major pioneers and innovators of US aviation technology.

Best Regards,

Artie Bob

Artie Bob said:
Jack Northrop did not start at Douglas. He worked there during the 1930s and several of the Douglas milestone designs were the result of Northrop's genius, not the other way around. Prior to his time at Douglas, he had designed the Northrop Alpha to Gamma series which were pioneering all metal aircraft designs. He had also earlier built a flying wing design (with tail) and also happened to design the Lockheed Vega. Absolutely one of the major pioneers and innovators of US aviation technology.

Best Regards,

Artie Bob
Northrop also worked at Boeing-Seattle Plant 2 for a short time. SP

Here is another interesting design found in the NACA archives which bears some similarities with Northrop's Model 6 and Douglas's Mixmaster...

Attachments

• Model 32-I.jpg
    Model 32-I.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 684

The XB-42 is a direct derivative of Douglas DS-312A design.

The N-6 could have been developed from Northrop N-2 (XP-56) experience. Remember the previous N-2 was a pusher design too.

Pusher designs were thought to be a good configuration for "fighters of the future" in late 30's because allowed a mighty firepower concentration in the aircraft nose. That configuration was selected for several R-40C entries and early 40's designs. The turbojet invention prevented most of it to left the drawing board.

For an air-cooled radial engine?

In my opinion, if it was conceived by 1941-42 the logical choice was to be one of the powerful-liquid cooled engines then in development (which later proved to be a failure).

The wind tunnel model is poor detailed so I think that's the reason no intakes are present.

So, anyone can email Mr Balzer and ask about Northrop N-6?. I'll see what I can do...

I'm sorry I found no way to contact Mr Balzer from specialitypress website. Mistery unsolved by the moment.

My guess:

Northrop was engaged in XP-56 development at that time. If this N-6 was not intended to be a replacement, which seems ilogical to me, we should consider other roles for it. The N-6 looks bigger than the N-2 (XP-56), unless considering a more powerful engine, N-6 permormance would be under N-2 expected figures.
I suggest the N-6 could be an attack type or a long range "Pacific theater" fighter-bomber. A sort of "US Do-335" if you want.

pometablava said:
For an air-cooled radial engine?

In my opinion, if it was conceived by 1941-42 the logical choice was to be one of the powerful-liquid cooled engines then in development (which later proved to be a failure).

The wind tunnel model is poor detailed so I think that's the reason no intakes are present.

It looks to me like their is an annular opening at the nose and a slot in the ring cowling behind it. Or a dark band. Maybe it's some sort of nose mounted annular radiator?

I have studied these wind tunnel models of pusher aircraft at some length due to their relation to some projects I'm working on.

One thing I've noticed from my research in the 1939-1945 era (and before and after, for that matter) is that certain design characteristics and shapes were specific to individual aircraft manufacturers/design staffs, ie Northrop flying wings and tailless aircraft, Boeing rounded-nose bombers and square wingtips and the distinctive tail shape, Douglas bug-eye canopies/wing shape and location/pusher props and tail squarish tail shapes, etc.

These wind tunnel models just scream DOUGLAS to my eye. The shoulder-mounted high-aspect square-tipped wing, the shape and disposition of the top and bottom vertical stabilizers, the shape of the fuselage and nose, etc.

Thus, for my humble opinion, these wind tunnel models represent experiments by Douglas that began at least with the DS-321A and expressed itself in metal with the XA/B-42 and XB-43.

AlanG

ACResearcher said:
These wind tunnel models just scream DOUGLAS to my eye. The shoulder-mounted high-aspect square-tipped wing, the shape and disposition of the top and bottom vertical stabilizers, the shape of the fuselage and nose, etc.

Thus, for my humble opinion, these wind tunnel models represent experiments by Douglas that began at least with the DS-321A and expressed itself in metal with the XA/B-42 and XB-43.

AlanG

My dear Alan,

I disagree with you,the Northrop N-6 is very close to this wind tunnel model,and here it is
from Les Avions et engins Northrop book.

Attachments

• N-6.png
    N-6.png
    516 KB · Views: 644
Let's not forget that the Douglas El Segundo division took over where the old Northrop stopped.

It is possible that the new Northrop company and Douglas El Segundo pursued similar designs that were sketched out under the old company.

Skyblazer said:
Let's not forget that the Douglas El Segundo division took over where the old Northrop stopped.

It is possible that the new Northrop company and Douglas El Segundo pursued similar designs that were sketched out under the old company.

May be that's right my dear Skyblazer.

both of the designs in this thread pop up in a few other naca reports

http://hdl.handle.net/2060/19930081690

Attachments

• mys 1.png
    mys 1.png
    43.3 KB · Views: 342
  • mys 2.png
    mys 2.png
    29.8 KB · Views: 281
more

http://hdl.handle.net/2060/19930091848
http://hdl.handle.net/2060/19930092561

Attachments

• myst 3.png
    myst 3.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 288
Very related design;

https://www.zazzle.com/1944_pusher_airplane_patent_art_drawing_print-228680210099507484

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    118 KB · Views: 130