McDonnell Model 25 Gargoyle (Navy LBD-1)

Stargazer

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Some great photos of the McDonnell Model 25 Gargoyle, designated LBD-1 by the Navy (and soon redesignated KSD-1) have surfaced on the NASA CRGIS website under the name "Jet Prop Bomb":

800px-LMAL_41695.jpg

800px-LMAL_41696.jpg

800px-LMAL_41697.jpg

522px-LMAL_41698.jpg

High-res versions can be accessed from the website:

http://crgis.ndc.nasa.gov/historic/Additional_Photos_for_12-Foot_Low_Speed_Tunnel#Jet_Prop_Bomb

Great find!
I agree with the LBD-1 designation (as an aircraft), but question the KBD designation you suggest. As far as I know the missile series did not have 'KB'.
Here is the data I have on my files:
The Gargoyle was a glider with a 450 kg bomb built in the fuselage. It was intended to be launched from another aircraft with RATO assist, or from the deck of an aircraft carrier with RATO and JATO assist. In September 1944 the US Navy ordered 5 experimental and 395 production aircraft which were designated LBD-1.
The first test flight (as a glider) was on 21 March 1945, with 14 flights being made until July 1945.
On completion of the war, it was proposed to convert remaining airframes as target drones whilst testing continued into 1947 under the KSD-1 and KUD-1 designations. It was also known as RTV-N-2.
The programme was terminated on 19 July 1947 and formally cancelled on 8 December 1950.

Jos Heyman said:
Great find!
I agree with the LBD-1 designation (as an aircraft), but question the KBD designation you suggest. As far as I know the missile series did not have 'KB'.

I believe this is a typo on my part, Jos. What I have is : "redesignated as KSD-1, then KUD-1, RTV-2, RTV-N-2 and BQM-6C. No "KBD" there...

XP67_Moonbat said:
Could this be a missile project?

Yes, anti-shipping. The crazy thing is it was intended for use by carrier aircraft.

Does anybody knew, what was the purpose of those two blisters on the upper part of missile? They doesn't seems to be big enough to house any electronic equipment. I suspect they may be air ducts to the arming screw vanes of nose & tail fuse of the warhead, but I'm not sure.

Does anybody knew, what was the purpose of those two blisters on the upper part of missile? They doesn't seems to be big enough to house any electronic equipment. I suspect they may be air ducts to the arming screw vanes of nose & tail fuse of the warhead, but I'm not sure.
Check the above mentioned NACA photo collection - there were two more pictures, illustrating bomb' internal layout.
I guess, that blisters are covers suspensions points. At least one of then (rear) holds the ring - perhaps for hoisting to carrier' attachement joint.

P.S. This page contains some details about Gargoyle suspension, from official USN papers.

Figure 384. "Gargoyle" Supended from Carrier Aircraft

Fig384.jpg

Fiugre 385. "Gargoyle" with Panels Removed

Fig385.jpg

Last edited:
Check the above mentioned NACA photo collection - there were two more pictures, illustrating bomb' internal layout.
I guess, that blisters are covers suspensions points. At least one of then (rear) holds the ring - perhaps for hoisting to carrier' attachement joint.

P.S. This page contains some details about Gargoyle suspension, from official USN papers.

Hm. A probability, yes. Unfortunately, there are little data available about that missile: I hoped that "Guided missiles and techniques" from NDRC may have some data, but seems they never mentioned the "Gargoyle".

The LBD Gargoyle, is the work of Grayson Merrill patented "Pilotless aircraft" . In 1943 Merrill became the director of the Special Design Branch, where the Navy's first guided missiles were being developed. Merrill initiated and directed the development of the following weapons in response to wartime requirements: the Lark ; the Gargoyle , and the Little Joe missiles.

Attachments

• G.jpg
    G.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 19