Mannesmann Poll Triplane

T-50

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Hi folks I'm just began to build a small model of the secret German w1 bomber named Mannesmann Pohl,a very large three plane to bomb the US! and that in 1918! they were actually developing this beast! I know somewere in England there is only one wheel existing of this type.
Further I know Junker was also developing a very big aircraft to compete with the Mannesmann Pohl design! it was if I'm been correct all made of metal
very interesting stuff to discuss in this new topic!
best regards T-50

I've seen photos of the wheel. It is about 7 feet in diameter, and solid wood with what appears to be a solid rubber tire. Was this wheel to be used to move it around in the shop? It seemed inappropriate for landing gear.

the correct nickname of bomber is Mannesmann "Poll"
because the British found the Bomber in 1919 in a hangar in district of Cologne-Poll
there are any official document about this project in German Imperial Army !
only Wat they find were papers in Hanger refere to a chief engineer called Forstman.
maybe its Villehad Forssman who work for Siemens in 1915 on a failed 4 engine bomber project

here early picture of the wheel
800px-Mannesmann_Poll_Wheel.jpg

The Mannesmann Giant Triplane was found in an incomplete state, in a hangar on the airfield at Poll, near Cologne, by an Inter-Allied Aeronautical Control Commission team in 19196.
Initially thought to be a giant bomber capable of bombing New York, it is now thought to be a trans-atlantic ranged transport aircraft.
Designed by Villehad Forssman, designer of the SSW R-plane, the aircraft was initially financed by the Deutche Bank, and Bruning & Sohn A.G.,
"owners of the four largest high quality plywood factories in Germany." Unsurprisingly, plywood was used extensively in it's construction.
Missing several components when found, leading to the conclusion that these were constructed elsewhere, the I.A.A.C.C. team were impressed both with the overall concept, and detailed construction work they found, but were sceptical of the overall structural concept, considering it overweight, but at the same time weak.
It has also been reported that the Triplane's mission was to drop propaganda leaflets over the USA, before that country entered the war.

Illustrated below, a provisional 3-view of the aircraft, and a view of the interior of the fuselage.

Sources :- Putnam's 'German Giants', pp.152-6, 'Giants of the Sky', Gunston, page 38.

cheers,
Robin.

Attachments

• Mannesmann (poll) giant triplane.png
    Mannesmann (poll) giant triplane.png
    154.5 KB · Views: 686
  • Mannesmann (poll) giant triplane - fuselage interior view.png
    Mannesmann (poll) giant triplane - fuselage interior view.png
    478.9 KB · Views: 606
can it be, this Mannesmann bomber was part of Riesenflugzeug (German R-Planes) program ?

Hi Michel I believe this bomber is indeed part of the German R bomber program

I have to disagree, if only because the Mannesmann Triplane was not originated by one of the established aeroplane manufacturers of the time.
I believe it was inspired by the R-planes, I'm thinking that the Bruning company were hoping to get some business out of this concept.
However the sources I have, have insufficient information for a definite answer one way or the other.

cheers,
Robin.

These German designs give more context to immediate post-war allied designs like the Tarrant Tabor (a personal fave, and it would've made the coolest airliner) the Barling Bomber, and the Bleriot 74. Very interesting.

the Tarrant Tabor ....... the Barling Bomber

both of course, designed by the same man, Walter H. Barling.

cheers,
Robin.

Makes you wonder if the monster Mannesmann bomber would have had the same fate as the Tabor.

palg said:
These German designs give more context to immediate post-war allied designs like the Tarrant Tabor (a personal fave, and it would've made the coolest airliner) the Barling Bomber, and the Bleriot 74. Very interesting.

Straight from the end of WWI here it is the max size of all giant German bombers.

Enjoy them... ;)

Attachments

• Mannesmann Poll_04.jpg
    Mannesmann Poll_04.jpg
    498.2 KB · Views: 372
  • Mannesmann Poll_03.jpg
    Mannesmann Poll_03.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 428
  • Mannesmann Poll_02.jpg
    Mannesmann Poll_02.jpg
    630.9 KB · Views: 626
  • Mannesmann Poll_01.jpg
    Mannesmann Poll_01.jpg
    818.3 KB · Views: 671
also called Brüningsches Riesenflugzeug = Brünin's gigant aircraft

the Name Poll comes from a quarter of the city of Cologne, were British found the parts for Bomber
this in Poll:
800px-Mannesmann_Poll_Wheel.jpg

and part of wings in Westhoven (at Mannesmann-MULAG Werk ?) a neighbor quarter.

the bomber was Design of Villehad Forssman
According the Legend is was Firma Brünin were the first work on Bomber began, here came the name: Brünin's gigant aircraft
but that Villehad Forssman moved to Westhoven Mannesmann-MULAG Werk in 1917, is strong evidence that Firma Brünin was only a subcontractor for the project.

Wow!!! I've been loorking for data about this one in the last week.

Very nice work archippepe. Do you use any 3d program or Is just line work?

more i look on this pretty artwork
i have to reminisce about this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McFj_vq3cwk

Gerd Fröbe in "Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines" ;D

Alcides said:
Wow!!! I've been loorking for data about this one in the last week.

Very nice work archippepe. Do you use any 3d program or Is just line work?

Many thanks for your kind comment.
To realize my drawings I utilize the Deneba Canvas R8 (it is similiar to freehand and other ones) so it is not 3D rather only isometric views.

Michel Van said:
more i look on this pretty artwork
i have to reminisce about this

Gerd Fröbe in "Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines" ;D

Yes Michel, and don't forget Alberto Sordi also.... ;)

Hi,

the Poll bomber artist drawing.

Attachments

• Forssmann Poll.jpg
    Forssmann Poll.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 564
hesham said:
Hi,

the Poll bomber artist drawing.

Please see also:

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,14504.msg144596.html#new

Jemiba said:
Topics merged under this topic in this section here. I hope, nobody mind, that those graet drawings
are now here, instead of "User Artwork".

Dear Jemiba,

Thanks a lot. :)

Hi,

http://www.dieselpunks.org/profiles/blogs/knights-of-the-air-forsmann-ten-engine-triplane

Attachments

• 6817616868_80cd172eea.jpg
    6817616868_80cd172eea.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 347
;) http://flyingmachines.ru/Site2/Crafts/Craft31368.htm

Attachments

• Poll_Dreidecker.jpg
    Poll_Dreidecker.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 282
From Ali Nuove 2/1962.

Attachments

• 1.png