Belly-mounted camera pod on a Fieseler Fi 156 C-5 « Storch »

Retrofit

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
I found this photo in the book "The Adolf guns" by Harald Isachsen.
Attached under the fuselage of that Fieseler Storch is a pod with what looks like a transparent front cover.
Who can help me find the function of this pod (search light, camera or else ?)
Thanks in advance!

Philippe

Attachments

• Fieseler Storch.jpg
    Fieseler Storch.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 98
I had pointed this out on another forum and the responses were that it was an extra fuel tank.

edwest said:
I had pointed this out on another forum and the responses were that it was an extra fuel tank.

extra fuel tank have not a transparent front cover.
This a camera pod on a Fi 156 C-5, for reconnaissance

Michel Van said:
edwest said:

extra fuel tank have not a transparent front cover.
This a camera pod on a Fi 156 C-5, for reconnaissance

Nobody believed that. They pointed out that a camera pod would have the camera pointed down, and not toward the front of the airplane. They dismissed the idea.

Thanks Michel and Edwest. A forward looking camera pod could be the answer.
The aircraft being used as aerial Observation Post for the coastal bateries 406 guns' command post and fire control command centre, could this pod housed a kind of "fire aiming adjustment help device" (if such type of "lightweight" system existed at that time: 1943-45)?

edwest said:
Nobody believed that. They pointed out that a camera pod would have the camera pointed down, and not toward the front of the airplane. They dismissed the idea.

the Fieseler Storch has superb STOL characteristics !
it can fly with stall speed less than 40 kph (25 mph)

this picture show fuel tank under a Fi 156
source here
http://lwcollectibles.blogspot.com/2007/12/fieseler-fi-156-storch-photos-11-dec.html

Attachments

• 150193376830.jpg
    150193376830.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 79