SUA-7

walter

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Anyone with information on this aircraft (N3061L). It was (is) on the FAA register, but I have no idea whether it was actually flown. Built around 2001-2003.

Attachments

• ADVANCED COMPOSITE SUA-7.doc
    902.5 KB · Views: 46
Something may have gone wrong with the attachment.
Hope this one is better

Attachments

• N3061L.jpg
    N3061L.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 733
see http://www.janes.com/articles/Janes-All-the-Worlds-Aircraft/KLS-SUA-7-United-States.html
not flown yet in 2003, no reports after

I worked for KLS/ACD. In 2005 we put a new pair of wings on it. it flew amazingly well. We put the required 40 hours on it and then it got parked. The money behind the company pulled back and the plane has been sitting on the tarmac since. I left the company when the money did.

smadalien said:
I worked for KLS/ACD. In 2005 we put a new pair of wings on it. it flew amazingly well. We put the required 40 hours on it and then it got parked. The money behind the company pulled back and the plane has been sitting on the tarmac since. I left the company when the money did.

So it DID fly!! Do you have any pics of it flying, by chance? I'd love to see that and I'm sure I'm not the only one... ;)

Smadalien, could you tell us more on this design? For instance, the shape of the fuselage suggests there may be a rear cargo door (à la C-130 Hercules but smaller), yes or no?

This is what I gathered over the years.
SUA-7 for Sport Utility Aircraft 7-seat and designed by KLS Composites, LLC (Messrs. Larry or Andreas (or both?) Montgomery and William K. Regester). Largely composite construction and designed to accept automotive V8 engines. Construction started 2001 or 2002 and (unflown) aircraft shown at the 2003 EAA Sun`n Fun convention. As reported by smaladien N3061L was actually flown in 2005. Great news!
I understand KLS became ACD (Advanced Composite Design, Inc) in 2005. Was this prior flight testing?
Tophe: I have a photo of the aircraft under construction and it seems it did not have a rear loading ramp.
Details I have: 7-seat utility. One GM (Chevy) 502 V8 engine. span 41ft. 4in, length 34ft 6in, height 13ft 4in. Est. max., speed 198 mph, cruise 178 mph, icr 1,200ft/minute, service ceiling 10,000ft.

I hope smadalien can confirm the above. Thanks in advance!

sorry i didn't reply sooner. the above is mostly correct with the exception of the wingspan. these were the correct stats until first test flight, when the wings were discovered to be inadequate when i got to KLS we re-engineered the wings and nose gear the span is now in the range of 56 feet though i don't remember the exact number. on the first day of test flying with the new wings we broke the nose gear, hence the improvements there. if you look closely at the posted pic you can see that the wings don't fit tight to the fuselage like they used to. that pic is with the new wings. the radiator is in the back, which is the reason for the scoop on top of the fuselage. therefore there is no back hatch, other than to get to the radiator. on the other hand the side door is huge allowing access to the luggage/ cargo area.
i'll try to keep a closer eye here to answer any other questions.

ok i didn't answer everyone's questions. no i don't have any pics of it flying. i will see if i can get one from Andreas Montgomery. Stan Montgomery, the designer was a C-130 pilot for several years so that might have affected the design. the design of the fuselage was more for ease and cost of production than anything else. it was the only competition to the Cessna airbus, that we could have put on the market for about a quarter of the price. there were also a couple of companies that wanted a large bush hopper, so it sports full size truck tires. a hunting tours company out of Alaska wanted it and a company that flies supplies to remote places in west Africa was also interested. so the real design factors were price, ease of construction, large cargo, and short rough fields. and the plane in the picture, after the modifications, was an excellent aircraft. with 1000 ft. of field it could be 50 ft. in the air.