Bell/Boeing Civilian Quad Tilt-Rotor?

Matej

Multiuniversal creator
Reaction score
Website
www.hitechweb.genezis.eu
Mentioned, but not shown Bell V-22 derivates. Smaller is Model 626* and bigger is CQTR (Civil Quad Tilt-Rotor).

[*Mistake fixed on 262 > 626]

Attachments

• image026.jpg
    image026.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 650
  • image028.jpg
    image028.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 627
  • CQTR1.jpg
    CQTR1.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 668
  • CQTR2.jpg
    CQTR2.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 648
While the Bell Tilt Rotor concepts are certainly able to conduct STOL operations, especially at higher payloads, they are designed to be VTOL for take-off and landing. The military QTR (Quad Tilt Rotor) is one of five designs currently being looked at in the Joint Heavy Lift concept for 20 ton lift platforms.

I would be interested in any more information on the smaller 626 tilt-rotor that anyone can has. I have seen the little paragraph associated with the picture above in Mr. Hirshberg's article.

Frame grab from video showing Bell/Boeing Quad Tilt Rotor in American Airlines livery.

Source: http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-dewline/2009/01/quad-tiltrotor-qtr-appears-in.html

From video originally posted by yasotay.

Attachments

• qtr_americanair.jpg
    qtr_americanair.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 503
One of the great hopes of tht tilt rotor was to be an answer to the ever increasing problem of conjestion at the major airports. Bell spent some time with American Airlines looking at how the concept would improve regional (600 miles and less) transportation infra-structure. NASA has done considerable work and continues to explore how tilt rotor could improve travel. Biggest challenges have to be the sacrid 'cost per seat mile' and customer acceptance.

As you could imagine a QTR designed to move tanks ought have pretty decent seating for a regional airliner.

Now that the V-22 is (finally!) in operational service, customer acceptance may become less of a problem.

Does anyone know if there is any data on the Bell 262? I have only seen the graphic and have not been able to find any other information on it.

yasotay said:
Does anyone know if there is any data on the Bell 262? I have only seen the graphic and have not been able to find any other information on it.

There is no such thing as a Bell Model 262. There was a Bell D262 proposal, but it was an attack helicopter called the Iroquois Warrior, a direct ancestor of the Cobra.

However, there was a Bell Model 626 project, a 26-passenger tilt-rotor with two wings and four-rotors, and 15 440 kg MTOW. That's exactly the one that Matej wrongly labeled as Model 262 in the initial post. I'm going to fix the mistake right away!