Register here

Author Topic: Secret Boeing Strike Program in production.  (Read 15392 times)

Offline Sundog

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Secret Boeing Strike Program in production.
« on: July 20, 2010, 09:10:35 am »
In one of the Farnborough reports at AvWeek, it reports that Boeing has a secret strike program in production.

Any bets on whether or not it is the Boeing Model 119?

It's also interesting to note in that article that EADS states that the Super Hornet is one of the stealthiest fighters out there, of the reduced observability conventional designs. As opposed to aircraft designed for all out LO from the start.

Offline sferrin

Re: Secret Boeing Strike Program in production.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 11:23:11 am »
AFAIK the only fighters designed from the start as "reduced visibility" are the Super Hornet, Rafale, and (maybe) the Typhoon.  So to say it's "one of the stealthiest" when there are only three is hardly saying anything at all.
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline quellish

• Top Contributor
  • I am not actually here.
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 09:17:17 pm »
There's a good chance it's Phantom Ray. Obviously we haven't seen the whole presentation, but I don't see anything there that explicitly says that the proprietary program is in production.

At the same time, Boeing has been fairly active at DET 3 over the past few years. Tracking Janet and other contractor flights shows more than a few flights to Boeing facilities that were not part of normal flight schedules.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 10:36:14 pm by quellish »

Offline sferrin

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 09:46:49 pm »
There's a good chance it's Phantom Ray. Obviously we haven't seen the whole presentation, but I don't see anything there that explicitly says that it's in production.

At the same time, Boeing has been fairly active at DET 3 over the past few years. Tracking Janet and other contractor flights shows more than a few flights to Boeing facilities that were not part of normal flight schedules.

Phantom Ray (X-45C) isn't suppose to fly until later this year.  Maybe they went ahead and put the containerized X-45A into production though?  ???  (Note that they did build TWO for some reason which seems a bit strange given that most other demos have only been singles.)
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline bobbymike

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 10:11:31 pm »
Why are we assuming an aircraft? Shelly Lavender is VP of Global Strike Systems. My understanding is that when Generals Cartwright, Chilton and Kehler moved Prompt Global Strike to a sole Air Force Program (when Congress defunded the Conventional Trident Missile) there was an ongoing Boeing program that seemed to describe a conventional Minuteman with an CAV type payload. I am positive I read about it on the Global Security Newswire website. I'll look through the archives  :D
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. 
H. L. Mencken

Offline quellish

• Top Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 10:34:57 pm »
Why are we assuming an aircraft? Shelly Lavender is VP of Global Strike Systems. My understanding is that when Generals Cartwright, Chilton and Kehler moved Prompt Global Strike to a sole Air Force Program (when Congress defunded the Conventional Trident Missile) there was an ongoing Boeing program that seemed to describe a conventional Minuteman with an CAV type payload. I am positive I read about it on the Global Security Newswire website. I'll look through the archives  :D

Believe me, I'm not assuming that. Boeing has more than one ongoing PGS program. You may recall they recently came out and said they could produce a new missile, quickly, that would not at all look like an ICBM launch. That doesn't mean they are anywhere near producing hardware though.

Offline quellish

• Top Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 10:42:49 pm »
Phantom Ray (X-45C) isn't suppose to fly until later this year.  Maybe they went ahead and put the containerized X-45A into production though?  ???  (Note that they did build TWO for some reason which seems a bit strange given that most other demos have only been singles.)

X-45A had specific test objectives that required multiple vehicles. Multi vehicle flights were a major program milestone.

Offline donnage99

• "Robert Gates, is that you??" sublight
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 01:24:11 am »
We don't assume it's an aircraft, the chart says that it's an aircraft.  The title read:

STRIKE FIGHTER OUTLOOK

Offline bobbymike

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 07:05:42 am »
The original article by Bill Sweetman at Aviation Week describes it as a "Strike Weapon System". And because the slide contained information on ISR and Long Range Persistent Strike iterations I was just speculating that their might be more to the Boeing VP statement than seen from a single slide in a presentation.
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. 
H. L. Mencken

Offline donnage99

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 02:45:18 pm »
The original article by Bill Sweetman at Aviation Week describes it as a "Strike Weapon System".
Please, look again. The very slide it is in is about aircraft.

Offline Sundog

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 03:13:20 pm »
It isn't the Phantom Ray. They aren't going to put something into production that hasn't flown and if it was the Phantom Ray they would have said so. Also, as shown above by donnage99 and reported to the reporters, it was brought forth in the context of strike fighters.

So I've been wondering, is the Boeing model 119 an F-119 or could this be the long rumored F-24. After all, given the time it takes to develop a production aircraft and the report of that test pilot that flew the YF-24 over five years ago, the time frame seems about right.

Offline donnage99

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 03:41:28 pm »
A production of a secret class of strike aircraft can explain why Gates has not been looking so urgent in bringing about the NGB.  His answer was "our bomber fleet still has plenty of life left in them" when there are many reports that our fleet are aging rapidly due to the war and an interim solution must be met around 2018.  So it's either that Gates has been exceptionally ignorant or that he was hiding something. 

Offline Orionblamblam

• Secret Projects Guru
  • Top Contributor
    • Aerospace Projects Review
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 03:49:50 pm »

Please, look again. The very slide it is in is about aircraft.

Hmmm. The unmanned flying wing looks distorted. That means:
1) I'm looking at it wrong
2) The illustration has gotten warped
3) The design is asymmetrical, perhaps an oblique flying wing
Aerospace Projects Review

And so the endless circle of life comes to an end, meaningless and grim. Why did they live, and why did they die? No reason. Two hundred million years of evolution snuffed out, for in the end Nature is horrific and teaches us nothing

Offline bobbymike

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 04:56:44 pm »
I'm not meaning to pick nits or be overly defensive but everyone is assuming that a single slide in what I'm guessing was a multi-slide presentation tells the entire story.

Why did the VP at Boeing describe it as a "strike weapon system" and not a "strike aircraft". I'm just saying could a CAV dispensing submunitions meet the definition of aircraft and weapon system?
H. L. Mencken

Offline donnage99

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2010, 05:04:23 pm »
The key here is context.  Whether it's a multiple slides presentation or an entire book makes no difference.  That one slide is about aircraft exclusively, as the title appropriately suggested, and the other programs within that slide suggested. If the platform in question is anything beside an aircraft, it would not be in that slide.  Or else, we just see the Boeing staff having massive fail at context.