Blohm und Voss P.178

kiradog

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
I have two images of the BV P.178 that i was hoping someone could help explain.

I can find very little information on this project other then what follows

This asymmetric designed dive-bomber had one Jumo 004B turbojet located under the wing to the starboard side of the fuselage. The pilot sat in a cockpit in the forward fuselage, with a large fuel tank located to the rear of the cockpit. Beneath the fuel tank there was a deep recession in which a SC 500 bomb could be carried within the fuselage, or a SC 1000 bomb which would protrude slightly out of the fuselage. Two solid-fuel auxillary rocket engines extended from the rear, and may have possibly been used for take-off or for climbing after a dive-bombing attack. Two MG 151 15mm machine guns were located in the nose. (Luft 46 site)

Based on the two drawings it appears that the bomb bay was interchangable to allow for larger bombs. Note bottom illustration showing a much larger container.

It appears that the bombs were carried internally, not externally as show in the illustrations on Dan Johnsons Luft 46 site.

Also note that the wing and engine placement is different between the two drawings.

Top drawing is listed as BV P.178.02.04

Does anyone have any additional information on this project that might spell out what the illustrations show?

Thanx,
Gary

Attachments

• P.178.jpg
    P.178.jpg
    550.8 KB · Views: 315
Your right.

There is fainted writing in the lower right P,178.03
Stuka

Gary

Attachments

• P.178.jpg
    P.178.jpg
    552 KB · Views: 227
Volume 1 of Luftwaffe Advanced Aircraft Projects to 1945 gives additional specifications for the P.178:
Length: 10.80 meters
Wingspan: 12 meters
Height: 4.10 meters
Wing area: 24 square meters

The wingspan and wing area were certainly 12m and 24m2 respectively, but the length looks more like 11.2m to me. Then again, this is the P 178.02-01. The P 178.01-01 might have been shorter but the only known drawing is too faded off to be sure.

P 178.02.01.jpg