Bell "Venus Project"

Antonio

Staff member
Reaction score
Just finishing "The Jet Race and the Second World War" by Sterling Michael Pavelec. I enjoyed the story very much and I've learnt a lot.

http://www.amazon.com/Jet-Race-Second-World-War/dp/1591146666/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1277485918&sr=1-1

On page 137 I found a great surprise: Bell "Venus Project"

I've attached the description published in the book to ask members for more info about Army Air Forces specifications R-1800-E, rival designs if existed and Bell Venus drawings

Thanks in advance

Antonio

Attachments

• Bell Project Venus.jpg
    Bell Project Venus.jpg
    470.6 KB · Views: 761
Wow. This comes as a complete surprise to me. Seems like we have here a potent new contender for Bell's unknown "Model 31" slot... unless of course the "Venus" was strictly a "D-something". Thanks for sharing!

Stargazer2006 said:
Wow. This comes as a complete surprise to me. Seems like we have here a potent new contender for Bell's unknown "Model 31" slot... unless of course the "Venus" was strictly a "D-something". Thanks for sharing!
Could it be that Bell Model 31 was in contention with the Curtiss XA-43 which became the Curtiss XF-87?

Steve Pace

Might it be possible to see what the two footnotes (56 and 57) look like?

Might it be possible to see what the two footnotes (56 and 57) look like?

Ups, I didn't noticed that notes in my reading. And that's important:

Chapter 6. Notes. (Pg 209 and 210)

55. Bell Aircraft Museum, "Venus Project" documents, unmarked box, dated March 10, 1945.

56. "Venus Project" p.3.

57. Literally!. I found this proposal in an unmarked box at the Bell Aircraft Museum, Mentone, Indiana;...The proposal was dated March 10, 1945 and an accompanying note stated that "Bell [Georgia Division] was advised unofficially by Wright Field that we had won the competition. Award was refused by Larry Bell at a meeting in Marietta!". The Army...ultimately cancelled tha contract on Setember 13, 1945. Only a wind tunnel test model was constructed.

Mr Sterling Michael Pavelec teaches airpower history at the School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Alabama. If anybody knows him we possibly could learn more about this unknown project.

PD: Please let me recommed again the book "The Jet Race and the Second World War" because I found it exciting and fascinating.

Here is the Bell Venus Project, courtesy of Bell Aircraft Museum curator, Tim Whetstone.

Attachments

• Venus Project Photo.jpg
    Venus Project Photo.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 759
Orionblamblam...I made a request for additional information, but haven't heard anything back yet. I'll post something as soon as I know.

From the basic configuration it reminds me of the XB-48 (minus the swept wings and one piece nacelle).

Attachments

• MartinXB48.jpg
    MartinXB48.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 512
More like the Curtiss XF-87 to me... Except for the sweptback flying surfaces of course.

Many thanks Dynoman!

and also thanks to Mr Whetston at Bell Museum for sharing this treasure.

A truly awesome design representative of the early designs at Bell. Is that me or it looks to be an swept-wing design?. The engine arrangement suggest to me axial turbojets, probably Allison J35. Any idea about powerplant?

I'll wait for that additional info

Thanks again to Tim Whetstone, he has provided us with some additional photos and documents below:

Attachments

• Venus Project Thrust.jpg
    Venus Project Thrust.jpg
    623 KB · Views: 182
  • Venus Project notes.jpg
    Venus Project notes.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 212
  • Venus Project Funds.jpg
    Venus Project Funds.jpg
    544.6 KB · Views: 249
  • Venus Project A6417.jpg
    Venus Project A6417.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 226
  • Venus Project 35573.jpg
    Venus Project 35573.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 183
  • Venus Project 25536.jpg
    Venus Project 25536.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 209
  • Venus Project 25534.jpg
    Venus Project 25534.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 543
  • Venus Project 25533.jpg
    Venus Project 25533.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 538
Amazing stuff. You've gotta love the Venus! The fact that so much material can remain about such a secret and early program gives me hope that there may be more similar gems still hiding somewhere out there...

One thing bugs me here though: the funds breakdown for Contract W33-038 ac-6636 includes the following: "Plus necessary allotment to complete Project MX-674...". Now the latter was the VB-13 Tarzon, a 12,000 lb. controllable bomb (also designated as YASM-A-1 / YASM-A-1A).

How could funds for such a different program be allocated within the frame of this contract? I would appreciate any clue.

I played with the artist concept a bit...

SP

Attachments

• Bell Venus Project.jpg
    Bell Venus Project.jpg
    695.6 KB · Views: 214
Could it be that the Bell Project Venus program was the competition won by the Martin XB-51 "Panther"?

SP

Bell documents on Venus from Bell Museum.

Attachments

• Bell Venus Document.PDF
    311 KB · Views: 231
I think it's quite well documented that monies for different secret projects were hidden in the budgets of other, less secret projects.

edwest said:
I think it's quite well documented that monies for different secret projects were hidden in the budgets of other, less secret projects.

Is it?

Picture of the plane showed up on FB, so I searched this forum for more details.

16x forward .50cals (or 8x .60cals) for the ground attack version!

Amazing stuff. You've gotta love the Venus! The fact that so much material can remain about such a secret and early program gives me hope that there may be more similar gems still hiding somewhere out there...

One thing bugs me here though: the funds breakdown for Contract W33-038 ac-6636 includes the following: "Plus necessary allotment to complete Project MX-674...". Now the latter was the VB-13 Tarzon, a 12,000 lb. controllable bomb (also designated as YASM-A-1 / YASM-A-1A).

How could funds for such a different program be allocated within the frame of this contract? I would appreciate any clue.
Bomber variant of the Venus intended to drop the Tarzon. So there's some aircraft interfaces to be designed.

Plus it helps keep the MX-674 from going over budget.

The effort is called "Creative Accounting", where you see what programs are benefited by a given project and by roughly how much, then assign budget monies accordingly.

….. PD: Please let me recommed again the book "The Jet Race and the Second World War" because I found it exciting and fascinating.
The book must be out of print because Amazon is asking $189.
Indigo is asking $89.
Thrift Books are asking $78.

Back
Top Bottom